Good book to use as guide to teach advanced english

Are you doing this at a university? They'll have their own curriculum they'll want you to teach.

Are you doing this at a university? They'll have their own curriculum they'll want you to teach.

NO... I will be teaching/tudoring out of my home to start. Then if I like it my wife says she can get me work in one of several schools. I want to try it out first in a more casual atmosphere. I am not young anymore and may find I don't like it or it may be too much for me. I just want to try it out. My wife tells me if I really get into it the pay is outstanding and some benefits sound pretty nice.

m-coon

Another CFL member moving to China, is it perm or temp ?

Don't know yet. Could be either. Maybe in the beginning it may be just 6 months there and 6 months here. We just bought a pretty nice house there - so we will live there in some capacity within a year or two - after the house is finished being built. We have to wait until the construction is finished before we can move there.

m-coon

You've been fed a bill of goods! :)

Teaching English at the University level in most cities is the lowest paying of all teaching positions. And there are no benefits!

The highest paying jobs are in private or international schools. Mostly that would be middle or high school.

Beyond that, university level non-English business/science/engineering course will pay the most

International schools will pay the highest, with private middle/high schools being the second level of pay. Anything that is government run will be the lower paying.

Any private mill will be the worst of all of them.

Do not mislead yourself. A white foreign face is nothing more than PR for the school. Most, and I do mean MOST don't care if the students learn a damn thing from you. You are a poster boy to show parents that they provide native English speaking teachers for their kids.

I'm curious, how will you get your tutoring students? What city will you be in?

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

You've been fed a bill of goods! :eatyum:

Teaching English at the University level in most cities is the lowest paying of all teaching positions. And there are no benefits!

The highest paying jobs are in private or international schools. Mostly that would be middle or high school.

Beyond that, university level non-English business/science/engineering course will pay the most

International schools will pay the highest, with private middle/high schools being the second level of pay. Anything that is government run will be the lower paying.

Any private mill will be the worst of all of them.

Do not mislead yourself. A white foreign face is nothing more than PR for the school. Most, and I do mean MOST don't care if the students learn a damn thing from you. You are a poster boy to show parents that they provide native English speaking teachers for their kids.

I'm curious, how will you get your tutoring students? What city will you be in?

Liuzhoiu

I don't think my wife is exaggerating... She is not the driving force to move there - I am. She seems to have very good contacts there.

I am not looking to "get rich".... I am looking for something to occupy the time I will be there. And looking to have some fun while I am there - and this is something that I will enjoy very much.

m-coon

Liuzhoiu

I don't think my wife is exaggerating... She is not the driving force to move there - I am. She seems to have very good contacts there.

I am not looking to "get rich".... I am looking for something to occupy the time I will be there. And looking to have some fun while I am there - and this is something that I will enjoy very much.

m-coon

I got a job teaching at Yulin Normal University - the pay is $4500 RMB's per month - the benefits are a $2200RMB travel allowance, a round-trip ticket home (to the US) once a year, free room and board, a Z-visa w/work permit and residence permit taken care of by the University, and free Chinese lessons for me and free English lessons for my wife.

Just to show the difference in what I was saying about salary. Randy works at a uni for 4,500 a month. His benefits are a $2200RMB travel allowance, a round-trip ticket home (to the US) once a year, free room and board, a Z-visa w/work permit and residence permit taken care of by the University, and free Chinese lessons for me and free English lessons for my wife.

I work at a private middle school. I work 13 hours a week for 7,000 a month, paid whether I teach or not( i have two months paid vacation in Jan/Feb and then two months again in Jul/Aug) on a 12 month contract. I also get 800 a month for a living stipend since I already had my own home. In lieu of the R/T ticket, I choose a 12-month contract(basically works out to be close to the same). They paid for my trip to HK for my Z visa, my health insurance, my resident permit. I have free housing and meals on the days and nights I spend at the school. Each year I teach at this school, I will receive a salary increase/living stipend increase of 15% over the previous year.

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

Contact the webmaster of this site:

http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/

I think you will get some help there. Very interesting site, I've learned many usedful things.

AWESOME!!! Thanks very much!

And thanks guys for the information concerning your teaching experiences in China.... very interesting to read of the differences in "deals" you got.

My wife says Liuzhou is in dire need of native english speakers/teachers... Curious to see how it does work out when we eventually go there and I have the chance to give it a try.

m-coon

I feel Charles Dickens' works are easy to read, have neat structures for the sentences, easy to understand, though his works revealed deepest social implication.

"New Concept English" will be a good pick. It has four books, from easier to more difficult. The fourth one is good to use to teach advanced English. You could google this book, very popular.

I feel Charles Dickens' works are easy to read, have neat structures for the sentences, easy to understand, though his works revealed deepest social implication.

"New Concept English" will be a good pick. It has four books, from easier to more difficult. The fourth one is good to use to teach advanced English. You could google this book, very popular.

You are and exceptional learner. I still have some trouble reading Dickens. Did you read "Great Expectations?" Often I found myself going back and re-reading many passages.

Haven't got the book my self but the first 4 pages look promising and I've actually used them for teaching advanced English. "A year in the life of an ESL student" teaches idioms, phrases and slang. In an interesting way, with worksheets every 3 pages of story/dialogue.

I currently teach at a "training school" for Children, I don't have a degree and I started with no experience teaching Children, that and because the school is a start up (by a foreigner and a his Chinese wife) I'm taking a hit on salary so I can learn something about teaching from the guy, which has paid off. I make 4000RMB base salary, and 70RMB for every class taught over 20 a month. I'm not rich here, but I'm not poor either, I could definitely be making more if I freelanced or even found a different training school but like chengdu4me said they don't care if you can teach or not and they definitely aren't going to be able to teach you anything. Take his advice.

Not to hijack your thread but, I may be moving to Chengdu in September. Tianjin was interesting while it lasted :-)

I guess I should also add that my visa was paid for as well as my trip to HK, I don't have any contractual obligations and I only have one class to teach (but I do have to stay for 8 hours a day, which consists of me taking advantage of their high speed internet otherwise I might fight that)

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)