What is the next step to do?

I arrived in US one week ago. And my future mother in law took me to the federal building to get SSN yesterday, but they said I couldn't get one until I have already married to my fiance.

My question is how to get an SSN?

And what else me and my fiance should do for adjusting my status?

Do I need have vaccination in US?

And where I can get vaccination in US?

What vaccinations I should get?

What I should do for the first step and what's the next?

Sorry I have so many questions.

I appreciate any help here

Thank you very much

SSA officer is flat WRONG. They seem to get confused by K-1. Visit another SSA office.

The primary reason a K-1 can get SSN is for dealing with some states regulations regarding a requirement that both persons applying for a marriage license have SSN. So you should be able to get SSN BEFORE your are married.

That being said, in our case, NY has no SSN requirement for marriage license so we applied for SSN after marriage using married name.

You need vaccinations done if you did not get vaccinated in China and got yellow book. If you do have yellow book, you will get the book record transferred to an I-693 by a US Civil Surgeon. BE AWARE that some doctors will try to RIP you off and try to do a FULL medical, this is NOT required, just the vaccination record, bring a copy of I-693 and it's directions with you to the doctor and insist on vaccination record. One other note, if was vaccinated, or has immunity to the diseases being vaccinated for, then get tested for immunity (TITER tests).

Vaccinations are: MMR, Varicella (Chicken pox) and Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids.

I arrived in US one week ago. And my future mother in law took me to the federal building to get SSN yesterday, but they said I couldn't get one until I have already married to my fiance.

Thank you very much

My wife Got her SS# before we married. As for the vaccinations we were able to get all of hers at the county health dept.. They know which ones you need and record it in a vaccination records for you. Also, no charge. Even recently got her H-1 N-1. We then took her vaccination record to a civil surgeon and for a $50.00 fee he signed the I-693.

Edited by roblimei (see edit history)

Thank you very much

Perhaps the SS officer was thinking you would have a name change when you married.

The best advice I can give you is for you to tell your husband to be to get off his lazy ass and research this stuff for you. It will be easer for him to do it. What did he do while waiting for the k1 visa? He should know all this stuff already. You have too much on your plate to deal with.

It is time for him to man up and take care of you.

SSA
-

SSA
-

SSA
-
Under ¡ì205( c )(2)( B )(i)(I) of the Social Security Act,
SSA
is required to assign SSNs "to aliens at the time of their lawful admission to the United States either for permanent residence or under other authority of law permitting them to engage in employment in the United States. . . ." Because Federal law authorizes K 1 visa holders to work incident to their visa status, K 1 visa holders are eligible for SSNs.

In addition, the Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.) requires that K 1 visa holders who seek employment must also apply for an Employment Authorization Document (
EAD
) with
DHS
. However,
SSA
policy states that an unexpired I 94 (Arrival/Departure Record) with a "K 1" admission code confirms work authorization for a foreign fianc¨¦, and therefore
SSA
does not require that K 1 visa holders present an
EAD
when applying for an
SSN
. The Agency established its policy based on the Immigration and Naturalization Service's, now
DHS
, guidance in 1998. At that time,
DHS
could not always process and issue an
EAD
to K 1 visa holders before their 90 day stay in the United States expired.
DHS
sent a memorandum to
SSA
clarifying which evidentiary documents established K 1 visa holders' work authorization.
DHS
' memorandum advised
SSA
that "Evidence of
K-1
status includes an unexpired Form
I-94
showing admission as a
K-1
nonimmigrant with an admission period of 90 days or an
EAD
referring to
INS
regulations at 8 CFR 274a.12(a)(6)." [Emphasis added]
We acknowledge law and
DHS
regulations authorize K 1 visa holders to work. We also realize the Social Security Act requires that
SSA
assign SSNs to those who are eligible to receive one. However, we believe assigning an
SSN
to K 1 visa holders who choose not to marry makes it easier for them to remain in the country after their immigration status expires.
DHS
and Department of State personnel with whom we spoke acknowledged K 1 visas are problematic because some individuals commit marriage fraud or overstay their authorized period of admission. In fact, a consular officer in the Department of State's Fraud Preventions Program stated many K 1 visa applicants do not marry the petitioner. Additionally,
DHS
' Immigration and Customs Enforcement initiated almost 200 administrative cases involving K 1 visa holders who violated or may have violated the conditions of their immigration status by committing marriage fraud or remaining in the United States beyond the date authorized. Furthermore, some of the overstayers
DHS
identifed continued working after their immigration status expired.
This document refers to the policy of issuing
SSN
's ONLY within the first 76 days of a
K-1
's arrival (i.e., NOT within 14 days of the
I-94
expiration).

SSA
Policy Instruction -

SSA
FAQ
-

USCIS
-
(
I-693
)

USCIS
-

You can get the SS card up to 76 days after you have arrived in the US, regardless of marital status. Like Dan said, just go to another office. Bring copies of the SS memos regard K-1's.

Use the Civil Surgeon locator to (guess what?) locate a civil surgeon near you.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

First of all, Social Security is federal, so it doesn't matter what state you are in....BUT!, you will find you get different responses from different employees, and different responses from different SS offices (again, different employees)....first thing you need to do is get ssan, or some employees will give you crap because you are married and your wife is now not a k-1 and will tell you that you need to adjust status first (Not True!)....i ran into this untill i found a very knowledgeable SS employee that set me on the right course (albeit to later)...Again, I stress, GET SOCIAL SECURITY number FIRST (1st), before you marry....keep going up the food chain at the SS office untill you get the number applied for.

Yes...as Randy said, you can get up to 76 days after arrival (SS office told me 90) married or not....but again, it just depends on how knowledgeable the SS employee is about this and how they try to interpret the regulations when they look it up

Edited by steveandrong (see edit history)

Thank you very much

Perhaps the SS officer was thinking you would have a name change when you married.

No, I told them that I don't have an SSN, I need a new SSN. They said you need get married first and then you could get an SSN.

Thanks anyway.

What I am saying is that you can get a SSN now. But, if you get married and change your last name, then you will need to get a new SSN. If you get married and do not change your last name then you can keep the original SSN. Of course you do not need to get married to get a SSN but if you are going to change your last name then it is best to wait until after you are married.

Thank you very much

No, I told them that I don't have an SSN, I need a new SSN. They said you need get married first and then you could get an SSN.

Thanks anyway.

What I am saying is that you can get a SSN now. But, if you get married and change your last name, then you will need to get a new SSN. If you get married and do not change your last name then you can keep the original SSN. Of course you do not need to get married to get a SSN but if you are going to change your last name then it is best to wait until after you are married.

One note if you replace SSN card after marriage to change name on it the SSN does not change, just name changes.