tv reception

Here in the hills of Virginia ,with the new digital tv signal, reception is very poor. I was wondering, does China have analog or digital tv broadcasting.

I don't think they've changed from analog, but I haven't even figured out which our new TV is (we have cable).

Cable TV is cheap here - somewhere around $10 a month (maybe less).

Here in the hills of Virginia ,with the new digital tv signal, reception is very poor. I was wondering, does China have analog or digital tv broadcasting.

was not the justification for switching to digital is that it is better ?

was not the justification for switching to digital is that it is better ?

No - it was to free up bandwidth for other uses, such as cell phones.

It does provide a better picture, but marginal areas no longer get ANY reception.

I think the broadcasters only agreed to cover a percentage of their former viewers.

Most of the time I get one channel or another, but it is poor quality. It is necessary to reprogram the input almost everyday also. DirectV is $58.99 for basic after the first year. Comcast cable has a deal for TV and internet for $65, but will be years before any cable gets installed. The telephone company advertise good deals on TV, phone, and internet, but the final total in reality is very expensive. I added DSL, $24.95, to my phone, but my bill went up $43.95. I can add on TV to the phone, $14.95 advertised, for a reality cost of $38.95, so all together around $100 advertised for TV,internet,and phone, which may or may not include the government permission taxes, federal, state, county, city, town, boy scouts, PTA, dog catcher, 911 operators, Va Dept of Transportation, Interstate access, Federal service, non-tel surcharge, partial non-tel surcharge, etc.

The telephone company advertise good deals on TV, phone, and internet, but the final total in reality is very expensive. I added DSL, $24.95, to my phone, but my bill went up $43.95.

You must be dealing with Verizon or one of it's subsidiaries. I thought they just pulled this crap with FIOS TV. I ordered two Chinese channels which were to be 10 per month and my bill went up twenty. Needless to say, Verizon no longer supplies our house with television. I switched to Dish Network. They have always treated me right and the bill is always exactly as advertised. I looked at Direct, they even offered me $100 dollars to switch to them, but Dish had the right package. The other turn off was DirectTV is advertised on www22.verizon.com under TV. This link to the same company I was throwing out my house, really turned me off. I also get Cinemax for .01 per year, that's right a penny per year for paying my bill by automatic payments. Once it is said and done with the promotion finished in a year, I will pay about the same as Verzion where I got basic 200 regular channels and 2 chinese channels. Except now I will have 200 channels, HBO, Showtime and Cinemax for two rooms with only one set top box. The final crowning point is my bill is always exactly as it is advertised and what charges customer service tells me. Never any thing extra. Got to say, I like Dish and will always be a loyal customer from now on.

We decided to try KylinTV for the Chinese channels. It comes down the internet. It irritates my wife that in the middle of a great show she sees a bar in the upper right that says buffering. So this is no better than snagging videos off the internet. We signed up for a year, once this is done, we will probably switch the Chinese channels to dish. The Great Wall package does not have the same channels as offered by KylinTV, but at least you get to watch them without interuption. Again, another reason Dish wins my vote.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

When I moved into my house (in town) I got bad reception.

Go to www.antennaweb.org and click "Pick an antenna"

You can enter as little as your zip code, but the more address you provide, the closer they can calculate the right antenna.

Unclick all the email me advertisement buttons.

On the location page, move around until you can place the star as close to your location as you can determine.

click continue and it will list out what antenna can pick up what stations from your house.

The antenna are not models (it isn't a sales site) they are colors.

The antenna you buy have color coded ratings on them that go from yellow to violet, and generally the size and price goes up with the color.

That I found was a dak blue antenna was what I needed, and I found one on sale (open box) at circuit city for $90.

I took out the old antenna (a huge 6 foot beam with 4 ft wide bars sticking out).

I "installed" the new one(that means put it in my attick on the floor, and hooked up a coax cable to it) about 3 foot by 2 foot and I have GREAT reception.

The thing I learned is it doesn't matter how fancy or expensive the antenna, if you have the wrong one, it doesn't work.

Go to the site, follow the directions, and you will learn what stations you can receive with what antenna.

Perhaps in your area it will be none, but I hope this advice solves your problem. It did mine.

Before HDTV I received 29 channels and after 8...the picture is better and the sound good. But I can't get an NBC station 29 miles away even with a better antenna, because they installed a "null" so it doesn't interfere with another station...no NBC=less sports and no winter olympics. :angry:

Before HDTV I received 29 channels and after 8...the picture is better and the sound good. But I can't get an NBC station 29 miles away even with a better antenna, because they installed a "null" so it doesn't interfere with another station...no NBC=less sports and no winter olympics. :angry:

I have Dish Network, but just a standard definition receiver. I use an antenna for HD, found my reception of with a recommended Channel Master antenna ok. The signals aren't really omni-directional, an I find I have to move the antenna to various parts in the upstairs spare bedroom to pick up more stations. I think if I could somehow multiplex two antennas together, I might be able to get all the available signals in the Pittsburgh area.

The telephone company advertise good deals on TV, phone, and internet, but the final total in reality is very expensive. I added DSL, $24.95, to my phone, but my bill went up $43.95.

You must be dealing with Verizon or one of it's subsidiaries. I thought they just pulled this crap with FIOS TV. I ordered two Chinese channels which were to be 10 per month and my bill went up twenty. Needless to say, Verizon no longer supplies our house with television. I switched to Dish Network. They have always treated me right and the bill is always exactly as advertised. I looked at Direct, they even offered me $100 dollars to switch to them, but Dish had the right package. The other turn off was DirectTV is advertised on www22.verizon.com under TV. This link to the same company I was throwing out my house, really turned me off. I also get Cinemax for .01 per year, that's right a penny per year for paying my bill by automatic payments. Once it is said and done with the promotion finished in a year, I will pay about the same as Verzion where I got basic 200 regular channels and 2 chinese channels. Except now I will have 200 channels, HBO, Showtime and Cinemax for two rooms with only one set top box. The final crowning point is my bill is always exactly as it is advertised and what charges customer service tells me. Never any thing extra. Got to say, I like Dish and will always be a loyal customer from now on.

We decided to try KylinTV for the Chinese channels. It comes down the internet. It irritates my wife that in the middle of a great show she sees a bar in the upper right that says buffering. So this is no better than snagging videos off the internet. We signed up for a year, once this is done, we will probably switch the Chinese channels to dish. The Great Wall package does not have the same channels as offered by KylinTV, but at least you get to watch them without interuption. Again, another reason Dish wins my vote.

we dont get any problems with kylin tv :angry:

Don't have any trouble with reception here and my cable bill is $0.00.

No TV here. :lol:

Cuzin' Slaphappy...do you understand anything that is being said here?

Coaxial? 200 channels? Dish TV? HDTV? Antenna...like what's on bugs?

Reception...like when a couple jumps over a broomstick?

I am cornfused and befuddled???

I've got me a samll 14" TV with a built in VHS player that I play my dirty movies on but what in tarnation are these ol' boyz tawkin' about?

I stopped wartchin' TV back when Dan Rather started talkin' to men from Mars on the news....now my life is much less cluttered and simpler. I caint say I've missed a dang thang since I blowed a hole in the screen when Danny boy wuz tawkin' to them Marshuns.

Shucks damn, if'n I gits me a hankerin' to see whats goin' on in the world, I jes pick me up a copy of the National Enquirer at the Piggly Wiggly. At least it has scientific backin' to prove what's in it.

Dazed and cornfused in tsap seuiville

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

I've got me a samll 14" TV with a built in VHS player that I play my dirty movies on but what in tarnation are these ol' boyz tawkin' about?

I stopped wartchin' TV back when Dan Rather started talkin' to men from Mars on the news....now my life is much less cluttered and simpler. I caint say I've missed a dang thang since I blowed a hole in the screen when Danny boy wuz tawkin' to them Marshuns.

Shucks damn, if'n I gits me a hankerin' to see whats goin' on in the world, I jes pick me up a copy of the National Enquirer at the Piggly Wiggly. At least it has scientific backin' to prove what's in it.

:lol: Axly, I have no idear what they are tawkin bout. :lol: But it sounds to me likes they tawkin needs money. An you knows what Jane thinks about that. :ph34r:

:lol: Axly, I have no idear what they are tawkin bout. :lol: But it sounds to me likes they tawkin needs money. An you knows what Jane thinks about that. :ph34r:

DO NOT MESS WITH JANE!!!

I gotta admit, the one feller said somethin' about havin' 200 channels...dern, I thought he was talkin' like he had caught 200 channel cats, but I didn't see him tawkin' anymore about fishin' fer catfish. :lol:

tsap seui