Cigarettes - Should I?

I have a moral quandry.

I was talking to a friend of mine about the gift I need to give my future brother-in-law. I've settled on a cigarette lighter, a cigarette case and a cigarette holder or ashtray. He asked me, "Why don't you give him a pack of American cigarettes?" I told him my objection to handing out cigarettes and supporting a bad habit. Then he turned into the devil and tempted me with dollar (or RMB) signs.

His idea was for me to take my limit of cigarettes and when the neccessity to grease a palm arises, use them instead of money. No doubt they are a sought after commodity and rather than offering $20 or $30 whenever a "tip" is needed, spend that money on a carton of cigarettes here and give away a $3 pack instead. Actually, he also suggested that I sell them, but I don't know how legal that is.

I have to admit, despite my dislike for cigarettes, it is tempting. I already stated in a previous post that I didn't like the idea and wouldn't do it, but this has me considering the possibility. They are going to smoke anyway, whether I give them cigarettes or not, why shouldn't I take advantage of the situation?

What do you guys think? Is it evil, illeagal, stupid or a really good idea?

About the smokes.....My wife, the doctor, who is antismoking to the max, put together gift packages to accompany the wedding invitations. Each package contained all sorts of candy and a pack of cigarettes. Like you said, their gonna smoke anyway, and american cigarettes would be an excellent gift. Besides, you were preparing to provide all the smoking related gifts,so you might as well give him the end product. You might not think it's the best gift to give but the recipient certainly will.

The advice on buying the cigarettes duty free was correct. I purchased two cartons (import limit) of Marlboro box to take as a gift, cost me $38.00 per carton in my home town. On China Southern just prior to landing in Guangzhou their price was $10.00 per carton with no limit. Gave them to my wifes father. As for a bribe of any sort or even an attaboy type thing I never was in the position to feel the need. Ruwei definitely took charge of any of that sort of thing long before I even understood what was going on.

Good luck, Monte