10 year green Card

Help me if you can.

I have a friend who has applied for her 10 year green card 3 months before her 3 year one expires. Well it's been almost 3 months and her card expires soon.

She has not heard back from anyone in regards to the status of her green card. Does anyone know how long this is taking on the average now and what happens. When her 3 year card expires, is she then illegal and need to leave or does dhe get a grace period until she hears from INS as to if she been approved or denied.

Also what the deal with getting an interview or not getting an interview. Do they interview everyone, randomly select people to interview.

Thank you for any help you may offer my friend.

Help me if you can.

I have a friend who has applied for her 10 year green card 3 months before her 3 year one expires. Well it's been almost 3 months and her card expires soon.

She has not heard back from anyone in regards to the status of her green card. Does anyone know how long this is taking on the average now and what happens. When her 3 year card expires, is she then illegal and need to leave or does dhe get a grace period until she hears from INS as to if she been approved or denied.

Also what the deal with getting an interview or not getting an interview. Do they interview everyone, randomly select people to interview.

Thank you for any help you may offer my friend.

First there is no such thing as a three year card a conditional card is only valid for two years. I hope they filed I-751 within 90 days before two years of conditional residency.

As for what happens, NOTHING happens, filing I-751 results in Lawful Permanent Residency status being extended indefinitely until a decision is made on removal of conditions. The green-card holder gets a receipt letter for filing the I-751, this letter clearly states status is extended for up to a year, and if it takes more than that they can schedule and info pass appointment and get an I-551 stamp further extending evidence of status.

As for interview, it can be random.

One note, the I-751 NOA1 letter should be carried along with expired green-card if wishing to travel.

Some have reported having problems leaving China with just the letter and expired GC, it is best to visit USCIS and get I-551 stamp before traveling.