Should all foreign teachers be expelled from China?

Some truth there, but I feel for the most part the vast majority are there to see the world and experience China from the ground level and are NOT there to subvert the Chinese government.

My wife worked in a foreign language school in Yangshuo, one of the partners running the school was a man originally from California, while chatting with my Yu when dating on-line she told me she and other Local teachers has a problem that she needed to compose a letter to the American, I read the letter and noted that she addressed him by First name and asked her for his family name because formal letters should be addressed by last name. Well she could not recall his name which prompted me to do some googling and after some digging I found his full name and then did dome more digging. Anyway he left the USA and spent several years in Japan, probably skipping out of there when his business dealings failed, only to spend several more years in New Zealand, until declaring bankruptcy on a business there, and then on to China. I wonder where this shady guy is now? Probably still at the school, I will have to ask my wife.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

That is hilarious! Most of the comments are made by uninformed, ignorant people.

China has a good standard for hiring teachers. But, just like in other countries, the "requirements" are ignored if need be to get them hired and have that "laowei" face in your school.

If the provincial governments forced the schools to actually be able to prove the hired teacher meets the requirements, then the problems would diminish considerably.

I know high-school drop-outs that have jobs as university level teachers here. How did that happen? The Chinese employers faked the paperwork. Simple as that.

In fact, teachers that don't cut it are weeded out and pushed to work in lower and lower paying jobs until they give up and go back home.

On one part, I do agree. Foreign teachers that do not honor the culture and the laws should be ejected.

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

I found this interesting as we have members here that are english teachers in China.

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/viewthread.ph...&tid=624999

Larry

The English teachers I've met here in Nanjing are an extremely unhappy lot. Most of them are younger students who dreamed of a glorious easy life and easy money. Two or three months after they arrive, they wind up on bitter expat groups talking to each other about how bad everything is. A very small percentage of them make it past the one year mark. Those that do, seem to adjust well.

Many people come to China to teach without ever setting foot in China to see what they are getting themselves into. They come here and find out that those darling students don't give a crap, think that foreign teachers are just here to entertain them and since the students parents are paying the bill, the teachers get no support to correct the situation.

I work in a private school. Grades 1 -9. My students are the most unruly and immature 8th graders I have ever seen. If they were in America, they would all be on Ritalin! There isn't 40 out of 520 that really care about learning and practicing English. I just teach the ones that care and let the other do as they please. If they want to participate in class, great! Otherwise, shut up so the kids that do want to learn can do so.

I got the opportunity to speak to one of my students parents about his bad behavior. His parents attitude was, "We are offering him the opportunity to get a good education. If he takes it, that's great; if he doesn't, he will fail but it won't be our fault. He is your student. He is your responsibility". So, I have responsibility, but NO authority. I can't kick him out of school because he is "profit". The students know this and they always use it to their advantage.

I had one student tell me exactly that. He said, "I am worth 20,000 RMB to this school just to be here. You will be gone before I am".

I like my students, but sometimes.......

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

Interesting topic. I never thought much about it before but there are a lot people on tourist visas living in China and teaching English. What they are doing is illegal and in violation of their visa. We have a fit when people come to America and do the same thing. Perhaps they are right, if they don't have the proper visa to work in China and if they catch them working send them home. I do think the subverting their children thing was over the top though.

I found this interesting as we have members here that are english teachers in China.

Larry

The English teachers I've met here in Nanjing are an extremely unhappy lot. Most of them are younger students who dreamed of a glorious easy life and easy money. Two or three months after they arrive, they wind up on bitter expat groups talking to each other about how bad everything is. A very small percentage of them make it past the one year mark. Those that do, seem to adjust well.

Very good Jesse my feeling exactly and just what I told another member here just a short time ago in a PM. These guys go for the adventure, travel and lets not forget the female companionship.

Larry

Many people come to China to teach without ever setting foot in China to see what they are getting themselves into. They come here and find out that those darling students don't give a crap, think that foreign teachers are just here to entertain them and since the students parents are paying the bill, the teachers get no support to correct the situation.

I work in a private school. Grades 1 -9. My students are the most unruly and immature 8th graders I have ever seen. If they were in America, they would all be on Ritalin! There isn't 40 out of 520 that really care about learning and practicing English. I just teach the ones that care and let the other do as they please. If they want to participate in class, great! Otherwise, shut up so the kids that do want to learn can do so.

I got the opportunity to speak to one of my students parents about his bad behavior. His parents attitude was, "We are offering him the opportunity to get a good education. If he takes it, that's great; if he doesn't, he will fail but it won't be our fault. He is your student. He is your responsibility". So, I have responsibility, but NO authority. I can't kick him out of school because he is "profit". The students know this and they always use it to their advantage.

I had one student tell me exactly that. He said, "I am worth 20,000 RMB to this school just to be here. You will be gone before I am".

I like my students, but sometimes.......

Great post Larry and just what I have learned about the subject. I don't think that I could add a thing right now maybe later on but not now.

Larry

Larry

Very good Jesse my feeling exactly and just what I told another member here just a short time ago in a PM. These guys go for the adventure, travel and lets not forget the female companionship.

Larry

Doing doing, we got a weiner right here.

I think that this poll was done from the random public and anyone could offer their vote and this may well be the feeling of the general public. It has been my experience that the average person on the street had rather we were not there. I commented to my wife on my first or second trip to China how everyone treated me like I was royalty and this is exactly what said to me. hahaha darling they don't care about you all they want is your money they really don't want you here. I do feel that if you immerse yourself into the general public as DavisZ does then you will get a better reception but for the average person on the street the pole speaks for itself.

Now I feel that this, for the most part, does not encompass family members. Then again there are those in my Chinese family that do not like my wife married to a foreign devil and there are members in my family that feel the same way. They are entitled to their prejudices. I am getting a little of my original topic but I don't mind as it the nature of post.

Larry

I think that this poll was done from the random public and anyone could offer their vote and this may well be the feeling of the general public. It has been my experience that the average person on the street had rather we were not there. I commented to my wife on my first or second trip to China how everyone treated me like I was royalty and this is exactly what said to me. hahaha darling they don't care about you all they want is your money they really don't want you here. I do feel that if you immerse yourself into the general public as DavisZ does then you will get a better reception but for the average person on the street the pole speaks for itself.

Now I feel that this, for the most part, does not encompass family members. Then again there are those in my Chinese family that do not like my wife married to a foreign devil and there are members in my family that feel the same way. They are entitled to their prejudices. I am getting a little of my original topic but I don't mind as it the nature of post.

Larry

I agree with you in general Larry. I think there is a fairytale phase for those who come to China from the West. But at the end of the day, everyone is just trying to eek out a life the best they can. I've never once been confronted by anyone who was openly rude to me, or suggested they'd rather I were not here. I must admit though, I fight a daily internal battle where it's much easier to not interact with the Chinese, learn their language, celebrate, and go out with them. It's not easy, and can be downright uncomfortable. But, I can tell you that I've experienced profound rewards when I open up and try to speak the little Chinese I know. Or when I walk to a table of strangers and propose a toast to them. Isolation is the temptation that must be fought every single day if you expect to survive here.

Larry

Larry

You say it like it's a bad thing... :blink:

Larry

I agree with you in general Larry. I think there is a fairytale phase for those who come to China from the West. But at the end of the day, everyone is just trying to eek out a life the best they can. I've never once been confronted by anyone who was openly rude to me, or suggested they'd rather I were not here. I must admit though, I fight a daily internal battle where it's much easier to not interact with the Chinese, learn their language, celebrate, and go out with them. It's not easy, and can be downright uncomfortable. But, I can tell you that I've experienced profound rewards when I open up and try to speak the little Chinese I know. Or when I walk to a table of strangers and propose a toast to them. Isolation is the temptation that must be fought every single day if you expect to survive here.

Jesse that is probably the key and the average teacher there just does not try to assimilate or for the youngest ones just there for the girls. The second reason is the reason for a lot of foreign teachers unpopularity. You are there and I am here in the US and learn mostly from reading. So what is your take on this? My opinion is that the older and married male teachers are less of a threat.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Larry

Larry

You say it like it's a bad thing... ;)

:blink: :P ;) Not for us but once a Chinese girl makes boom, boom she expects to get married however this is changing rapidly. Some in the past say 10 years ago she might commit suicide as they saw themselves as unmarriable if the guy skipped.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Larry

Funny thread on China Daily. I guess that's where the Chinese hide their sick, lame, lazy, crippled, blind and crazy.

I have meet probably over a thosand English teachers over the years here and the vast majority are normal, decent and hardworking albeit naive about life. The scum are also to be found, but the percentage is minimal.

I'd say there are more dirtbag Chinese in China than there are expats. :blink: