b2 visa duration of stay on 2nd entry on a multi-entry visa

so, my in-laws were issued multi-entry b2 visa and they came and returned back to china. My question is : since it's a multi-entry visa...that means you can come in multiple times before it expires, does anyone know how long will be allowed to stay when they enter the 2nd time?..first time when they came...they were allowed to stay for 6 months....Any help will be appreciated...

nailit....

so, my in-laws were issued multi-entry b2 visa and they came and returned back to china. My question is : since it's a multi-entry visa...that means you can come in multiple times before it expires, does anyone know how long will be allowed to stay when they enter the 2nd time?..first time when they came...they were allowed to stay for 6 months....Any help will be appreciated...

nailit....

This information should be on your visa.

The visa will say 6 months, BUT they can ask at the POE if they can extend it to 12 months. If not, they can apply for the extension before the six months is over.

Someone please fill in any details if I'm wrong.

This is true for the first visa as well.

It all depends on the officer at the POE, i have seen on VJ people who visit from Europe stay for the set length of time, leave the USA and return a week or so later and get slapped for a shorter period.

I would think if they remain in China more than 6 months and then come back they will be allowed the same period as before.

I dont think it states on the visa how long you can stay. it only states the period of validity of the visa, which is the the expiration of the visa. they went back about six weeks ago. becos of family emergency..we need them to come back here to help out with the family....is there a way you can check or ask how long they can stay when they return the 2nd time?....i am afraid at the poe they are gonna be asked why they are coming back so soon and what's the purpose of this trip.. and that determines how long they will be allowed to stay in the u.s....am i making any sense....we need them to stay for at least 5 or 6 month....

I dont think it states on the visa how long you can stay. it only states the period of validity of the visa, which is the the expiration of the visa. they went back about six weeks ago. becos of family emergency..we need them to come back here to help out with the family....is there a way you can check or ask how long they can stay when they return the 2nd time?....i am afraid at the poe they are gonna be asked why they are coming back so soon and what's the purpose of this trip.. and that determines how long they will be allowed to stay in the u.s....am i making any sense....we need them to stay for at least 5 or 6 month....

Perhaps they could carry a letter with an explanation of the emergency. They could, however, conceivably be restricted to the six month stay of the original visa. If so, apply for an extension (easy to get from what I hear)

Its completely up to the POE officer.

They will talk to you about your reason for visiting and grant you anywhere UP TO 6 months. The first time my girlfriend visited they gave her 6 months without even asking but another time she came to the U.S. for a week long conference and they only gave her a week! Ya never know unfortunately. Since they often want to see a return ticket booked, they will set the duration consistent with the return flight.

Its completely up to the POE officer.

They will talk to you about your reason for visiting and grant you anywhere UP TO 6 months. The first time my girlfriend visited they gave her 6 months without even asking but another time she came to the U.S. for a week long conference and they only gave her a week! Ya never know unfortunately. Since they often want to see a return ticket booked, they will set the duration consistent with the return flight.

thanks guys...I appreciated for the information. I will provide them with a letter stating the reason for the visit.....is helping out with a sick family member a good reason?..just wondering....