Children under 18 Automatic naturalization?

What if the father adopted the daughter, does he need to file an N-600? What if the wife is not naturalized yet?

Carl

Yes US citizen adopting immigrant child under age 18 is an automatic citizenship. Both parents do not need to be citizens. Adopt and then file N-600 for citizenship paper. This can be done even before filing to remove conditions.

Lee Fisher did this. Look up Leefisher3 who is forum admin search his topics.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=25649&hl=

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
  • 5 months later...

My son has been in my custody since entering the USA back in July 2008.

I successfully completed his adoption on 7/2/2010.

He has been in the USA and in my custody for over 2 years now.

I believe I can file the N-600 for him.

Question:

I have gathered all the documents but one,

The USCIS is asking for proof legal custody. What document would satisfy this requirement?

Isn't the mere fact that I have a legal adoption order satisfy that I have legal custody of him?

What about the K2 visa and the CR2 greencard. Don't the granting of those documents imply custody?

Thank you,

-Squonk

My son has been in my custody since entering the USA back in July 2008.

I successfully completed his adoption on 7/2/2010.

He has been in the USA and in my custody for over 2 years now.

I believe I can file the N-600 for him.

Question:

I have gathered all the documents but one,

The USCIS is asking for proof legal custody. What document would satisfy this requirement?

Isn't the mere fact that I have a legal adoption order satisfy that I have legal custody of him?

What about the K2 visa and the CR2 greencard. Don't the granting of those documents imply custody?

Thank you,

-Squonk

K-2 visa simply indicates child is acompanying fiancee parent to the USA, CR-Green-card simply indicates child is a lawful permanent resident, neither doc indicates that US Citizen is legal guardian.

Yes the legal adoption order should satisfy the legal custody requirement, send a photo-copy not the original to USCIS.

K-2 visa simply indicates child is acompanying fiancee parent to the USA, CR-Green-card simply indicates child is a lawful permanent resident, neither doc indicates that US Citizen is legal guardian.

Yes the legal adoption order should satisfy the legal custody requirement, send a photo-copy not the original to USCIS.

They are asking for the adoption order too.

The instructions imply that both the proof of custody and the adoption order are required.

Maybe I can have my sister write an affidavit stating that he has been in my "custody" since July 2008.

She picked us up at the airport in July 2008.

You can apply for the N-600 or apply for the child's passport or do as I did and do both. There are good reasons to have both.

lets not confuse a certificate of naturalization with the certificate of citzenship. Certificate of Citizenship is what you will apply for to prove citizenship. Another route, which, I am speaking from experience is to use your wife's certificate of naturalization to apply for a passport for your daughter. This is how my mother did it for me. I have been a citizen for 6 years now and there hasnt been a time(yet) where a U.S Passport was not enough evidence to prove I am a U.S Citizen. The U.S passport is a definite cheaper route to go and you get a passport out of it.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a936cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD