Do I need to notarize copies of my passport and my parents' letter

Do I need to notarize copies of my passport and my parents' letters about our relationship which my fiancee is bringing to her interview?

Also for I-134's bank statement, can I use my monthly statement which my bank sent to me every month? or does it have to be some special letter from the bank?

Are you going to be there? If so, then no, you don't need to notarize your passport - just give it to her so she can take it to her interview (if she's going to be flying solo in Guangzhou, yes, I would notarize the passport copies. Some may disagree. My father notarized the letter he wrote on our behalf but did it in America at his bank. There, he was able to do it for free, rather than the whopping 30 USD the consulate is going to charge. Not sure if that was necessary though.

We didn't file the I-134, so I'll let someone else cover that. I did find this though:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=487748

If you do a search for "Bank Statement" - with the quotes, it will yield more results

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

The consulate treats the I-134 like an I-864 and requests the same type of financial data as the I-864 does when later adjusting status.

They are concerned more about your INCOME than Assets.

Bank statements are for assets.

The directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

Also nothing needs to be notarized for the I-134.

Do I need to notarize copies of my passport and my parents' letters about our relationship which my fiancee is bringing to her interview?

Also for I-134's bank statement, can I use my monthly statement which my bank sent to me every month? or does it have to be some special letter from the bank?

I am just curious.

Will letters from parents from either or both parties help provide substantial proof of anything? After all, they are your parents and there may be some conflict of interests involved. So I do wonder how much credence the VO will weigh these letters with.

Any comments from people who've done this in the past? Did the VO look at these letters? By the way, this shouldn't just be a K1 thing. Anyone who've done this can opine.

I am just curious.

Will letters from parents from either or both parties help provide substantial proof of anything? After all, they are your parents and there may be some conflict of interests involved. So I do wonder how much credence the VO will weigh these letters with.

Any comments from people who've done this in the past? Did the VO look at these letters? By the way, this shouldn't just be a K1 thing. Anyone who've done this can opine.

Yeah, the consulate workers (before her actual interview) looked over my father's letter with a fine toothed comb, considering he was also acting as my wife's joint-sponsor. We also had a ton of family pictures to go along with it.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

The monthly statement is also referred to as a bank statement - there is no problem including a copy, provided it doesn't show any other activity which might catch a VO's eye.

The statement from an officer of the bank that the I-134 refers to is a letter from a bank official on the bank letterhead. They should know what format to put it in.

Personally, I believe that showing that you are WELL above the poverty line helps your case. But, like Dan says, I would be cautious about providing TOO much information.

Yes - support (financial or moral) from family members also seems to be helpful.

I am just curious.

I highly doubt if it's going to help by bringing letters to the interview, VO has no time to read or even look the other evidences. As many said here before, your case is more likely pre-screened before the interview. The lession I learned was that I should have submitted as much info (on your relationship) as possible to USCIS, those files WILL go to GUZ (in computer form though), I was too kind to people who works at the Goverment by paper reduction of myself.

so give all you have when you file with USCIS.

I am just curious.

I highly doubt if it's going to help by bringing letters to the interview, VO has no time to read or even look the other evidences. As many said here before, your case is more likely pre-screened before the interview. The lession I learned was that I should have submitted as much info (on your relationship) as possible to USCIS, those files WILL go to GUZ (in computer form though), I was too kind to people who works at the Goverment by paper reduction of myself.

so give all you have when you file with USCIS.

I totaly agree with you,, give it all you can with USCIS,