Traveling back to China after reciept of Green Card

Hi, My father and his wife (from china) are planning a trip back to china to visit her family. She has recieved her green card, has her social security card (though it is still in her maiden name), marriage certificate, and chinese passport.

Question is: What all does she need to have with her when she travels? And is it important that she change the name on her social security card to her married name before traveling?

Should NOT have SSN card when traveling, loosing it is too much of a risk of Identity Theft, lock it away in a safe place, SSN is NOT and ID card. Should not be carrying SSN at any time, even in USA, only time needed to be shown is when applying for work to show employer.

When traveling will need Passport, and green-card. The passport allows travel and entry to China, the green-card allows EXIT from China and Re-entry to the USA. Having a copy of marriage cert may be handy to explain why name in passport is different than the green-card.

Book airline tickets using passport name.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Should NOT have SSN card when traveling, loosing it is too much of a risk of Identity Theft, lock it away in a safe place, SSN is NOT and ID card.

When traveling will need Passport, and green-card. The passport allows travel and entry to China, the green-card allows EXIT from China and Re-entry to the USA. Having a copy of marriage cert may be handy to explain why name in passport is different than the green-card.

Book airline tickets using passport name.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I appreciate the help.

Glad to clear that one up.

Note SSN should be memorized and the card locked away is a safe place, only time it should be produced may be when applying for a job, employer may want to see it.

Is the 2 year Green Card ok for this?

Yes, in this case a green-card is a green-card.

Only issue may be if 2 year card has expired, in this case the card along with I-751 NOA-1 letter are needed to re-enter the USA. Some have reported having issues boarding the plane in China with expired 2 year card and letter, in this case getting an I-551 stamp before traveling is a good idea.