A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words

I just happened across Robhon's pics and I got the best look at China and Chinese family life that I'll get until I actually go there.

Up to this point I only found tourism and uninvolved photos. It gave me an understanding that, while I'm going to a foriegn country, maybe one of the most foriegn to an American, it is not entirely alien.

I don't know about anyone who's been there, but I've had a lack of perspective, not really a misconception, but no concept at all. Trying to picture the airport, the in-law's home, the streets, restaurants, I had no real images to draw from. Somewhere between Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and a bad 1980's Chinese tourist video, I tried to put together some coherent understanding of what to expect.

The wedding pictures alone were a wealth of insight and comfort. Going there to participate in my own wedding, I almost dreaded what awaited me. Not anymore.

Shots of the family, the interior of homes, the McDonald's, the airport, all of this brought me down to earth, I think. I really appreciate your sharing, Rob. This is just another aspect of CFL that makes the site and it's members invaluable.

And Rob, your son is beautiful. You are truly blessed.

If anyone else has pics to share, I'd love to see them.

I'm ultimately going to QiQiHar to get married. We'll meet in Beijing and stop in Harbin to get our marriage license.

I think now the one thing foremost in my mind about what to expect is how they deal with the cold weather. Rob's marriage processional was outside and down the street, I don't see that happening in 0 degree weather. Things like that still occupy my thoughts.

As far as keeping an open mind, not a problem, I don't know if a guy could jump into a marriage with another culture and not have an open mind. But I hear you, I'll stop trying to figure out what comes next and just enjoy the ride.

Bryan, thanks for the link. Your wife and step daughter are beautiful. Unfortunately your pic pages didn't load for me.

LOL, I can only laugh! Fortunately, my wife is from Nanning. Doubtful if it ever gets below 45 there. She told me it never gets below 7C, but thats pretty damned cold when ya dont have any heat. I often tell my wife that when she is here, she will never have to worry about cold or hot inside the house ever again. That makes her so happy. I've been to Nanning twice this year, and both times it was just so damn hot. No A/C, only a small portable fan. I dont ever remember seeing my wife sweat though, as opposed to me looking like rivers of sweat running down my forehead.

I got a few pieces of advice for ya. In China, they sell these little square packets of tissue. Always make sure ya have one of those with you at all times. Chinese toilets dont supply toilet paper! I sent many a Chinese Yuan down into the sewer! LMAO!

Wear pants that have a button on the pocket in the back, and keep your wallet buttoned up at all times. My wife put me onto that little tip, she was constantly buttoning it, and i started getting a little annoyed till she told me about the professional pick-pocketers.

Trust the cab driver, He really does know wtf he is doing, its just foreign to your way of thinking. My 1st 2 or 3 days there, I looked like i was sitting on a HOT SEAT, i was like...."Oh man" and "Ohhhhhhhhh shit", but after a while, i actually started enjoying it! Best drivers in the world are them "Chinese Taxi Drivers"!

Be clear with your wife what you will and will not eat! I told mine Chicken, Duck, Pork, Beef, and Fish was my limit! Don't eat anything that comes on a stick unless you are a daring soul! Stay away from the chicken though, Chinese people dont cook it very well, always too rubbery for me!

Thats about it, If i think of anything else, I'll post it!

Patrick :D

Well it looks like this ole Florida boy is about to hit the deep freeze.

Fortunately, I've also learned how to adapt to the cold somewhat, living and skiing in Colorado. :D Still, I'm sure I'll spend as much time as I can in a hotel.

Yes, we are going to the ice festival, I'm actually looking forward to it. ShuPing has never ice skated, so I told her we'd go when we are there.

Funny thing is, ShuPing lives in Nanning. She is from QiQiHar and her family is there, that's the only reason we're going there. She hasn't been home in over 3 years. Lucky me, I decided to get married in December.

More good info on the toilet paper thing Patrick, thanks. Also, I'll try to enjoy the taxi cab rides, it should be fun.

When you go out to eat save all the free napkins, packs of paper you can this way you don't need to buy, please take warm clothes, I found out about the no heat or it is used only when it is needed, my wife loves sunny S.W. Fla not to cold or to hot. If you can get some Diphenoxylate/Atr Pills from your doctor this will take care of the runs if you eat something that doesn't agree with you as Immodioum or Pepto Bismal will only help but not fix the problem. These little pills fixed me twice, should be mandatory, like your passport, maybe the problem was to much Hot Pot, 1 and 1/2 weeks and my body said enough, need some American food :D B)

QiQiHar? What a coincidence - I used to live just down the road in Daqing. We still own an apartment there, but are renting it out for a couple of years.

The Harbin Ice Festival is a must-see.

It does get very cold in that area during winter time. December's not too bad, though. It's January and February you've got to watch out for - just in time for Spring Festival.

Traveling by train in winter will work out fine - it's just when you need to take a car to a remote farm on the edge of Xingkaihu Lake during the first week of February in a snowstorm with no-one else in sight that you'll start to worry (but I digress - ah, the memories). :o