I-130 for parent

Has anyone had any recent experience with the Notary requirements for I-130 for USC's (naturalized) parent? I have conflicting info from Instructions and the Chinese notary professionals.

According to the form instructions, you only need the following:

Mother:
1. A notary copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother's name.

Father:
1. A notary copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother's name.
2. A notary copy of parent's marriage certificate establishing that your father was married to your mother before you were born.

That was simple enough. However, the people at the notary office mentioned that "through their professional experience", we'll also need a notary for both parent's own birth certificates. Well, that may sound reasonable in a sense, but I don't see that on the instructions for the I-130 form.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf
Look at Page 3 #6 and #7 for reference.

It is quite costly to obtain 2 more notaries if we don't need it. So should I go by the form instructions or by the "Experienced Professionals"? Anyone submitted this recently?

Thanks!

Are you petitioning for mother or father or both?

This is correct, only need evidence proving relationship to the parent.

DOS only says birth cert. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...es_1306.html#12

Birth Certificates

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the alien, based upon the original registration of birth.

The certificate must contain the:

• Person’s date of birth

• Person’s place of birth

• Names of both parents, and

• Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/in...ml#certificates

Birth Certificates

Available in the form of notarial certificates, which are secondary evidence. Notarial certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Gong Zheng Shu or Chu Sheng Zheng Ming Shu) for persons living in or recently departed from China are generally reliable, but are best used in conjunction with other evidence. They are most often based upon an AHHR, (Household Record) which is easily susceptible to fraud, especially in villages. Notarial birth certificates for persons long departed from China are most likely based merely upon the testimony of interested parties.

While some notarial birth certificates will list stepparents or adoptive parents along with natural parents, this is not always the case. In some cases, the certificates will list only the natural parents, covering up an adoption.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3537.html

I-130 Instructions:

6. A mother: Submit a copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother's name.

7. A father: Submit a copy of your birth certificate showing the names of both parents. Also give a copy of your parents' marriage certificate establishing that your father was married to your mother before you were born, and copies of documents showing that any prior marriages of either your father or mother were legally terminated. If you are filing for a stepparent or adoptive parent, or if you are filing for your father and were not legitimated before your 18th birthday, also see 4, 8, and 9.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I just finished two IR-5 visas. One for each of my wife's parents.

What is listed on the I-130 is not the only items you need to have.

Once it is sent to NVC, they will request all the items for GUZ:

So ultimately you will need

Mother

Her birth certificate (beneficiary)

USC's birth certificate (petitioner)

Father

His birth certificate (beneficiary)

His marriage certificate (beneficiary) showing marriage to petitioner's mother before petitioner's birth

Also to cut some time, start collecting the other documents now. Like scanned passports, passport photos, petitioner's current marriage license, and beneficiary's police certificates. All of this will be sent NVC not GUZ. Also, opt in for electronic processing. This will cut your time frame to 4 months or so. electronic processing rocks!!!!!

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

My parents just received their interview date (1/28/2010) and I learned my lesson for not filling electronically. My other friend started the process after me but his parents got the inteview date on 11/3/09, so you can see the time frame difference. Lesson learned here, electronic processing is a must.

If you're applying for both parents then you do need both birth cerfiticates. Hope this helps. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished two IR-5 visas. One for each of my wife's parents.

What is listed on the I-130 is not the only items you need to have.

Once it is sent to NVC, they will request all the items for GUZ:

So ultimately you will need

Mother

Her birth certificate (beneficiary)

Father

His birth certificate (beneficiary)

His marriage certificate (beneficiary) showing marriage to petitioner's mother before petitioner's birth

Also to cut some time, start collecting the other documents now. Like scanned passports, passport photos, petitioner's current marriage license, and beneficiary's police certificates. All of this will be sent NVC not GUZ. Also, opt in for electronic processing. This will cut your time frame to 4 months or so. electronic processing rocks!!!!!

Thanks! that's very helpful. This helps alot!