driver's license

My wife is getting ready to take the exam for her permit, I had a question for her name that will be showing on the DL. Currently she is using my last name and her last name is now her middle name, she was wondering if it is possible for her DL name to be her last name. on her green card her last name is her middle name and last name is my name..

It is best to keep all ID docs in the USA matching, so if you have applied for AOS and SSN show one name it would be best to have State ID (D.L.) match.

It is best to keep all ID docs in the USA matching, so if you have applied for AOS and SSN show one name it would be best to have State ID (D.L.) match.

i see, currently the only doc showing my last name is her green card, SSN and debit card was done way before and we didn't have time to go get it changed so it's still showing her maiden name..

thanks for the reply!

My wife is inquiring about getting her Driver's Liscence in the state of Michigan. I stopped on the way home today and they told me at the office my wife needs her Soc sec Num, her I-551, and a laundry list of materials issued here in the US ... none of which we can obtain, the last item on the list was a second item from list number 2, one of which is her passport with stamped I-94. My wife does not have the I-94. The woman then proceeded to tell me my wife would have to change her name, then have the Chinese Government change the name on our marriage certificate to my last name and have it forwarded here. Needless to say I find this all very doubtful. Once home I called the sec state and asked all this to an employee who put me through to a higher supervisor because this was, in his words : "Complicated." I relayed the above story again to the supervisor who told me to bring the soc sec number, passport/Visa/I-551 and a copy of the marriage cert with notary and english translation, plus bills in my name and the office would then make copies and send the info on to Homeland security who would then approve her being able to take the exam. I asked how long this would take and she told me "Who knows with Homeland Security." In any event I am relaying all of this in hopes there is another CR-1 in Michigan who can come to my aid here with some helpful information on any of this. The whole thing seems like its more hoops to jump through than necessary.

My wife is inquiring about getting her Driver's Liscence in the state of Michigan. I stopped on the way home today and they told me at the office my wife needs her Soc sec Num, her I-551, and a laundry list of materials issued here in the US ... none of which we can obtain, the last item on the list was a second item from list number 2, one of which is her passport with stamped I-94. My wife does not have the I-94. The woman then proceeded to tell me my wife would have to change her name, then have the Chinese Government change the name on our marriage certificate to my last name and have it forwarded here. Needless to say I find this all very doubtful. Once home I called the sec state and asked all this to an employee who put me through to a higher supervisor because this was, in his words : "Complicated." I relayed the above story again to the supervisor who told me to bring the soc sec number, passport/Visa/I-551 and a copy of the marriage cert with notary and english translation, plus bills in my name and the office would then make copies and send the info on to Homeland security who would then approve her being able to take the exam. I asked how long this would take and she told me "Who knows with Homeland Security." In any event I am relaying all of this in hopes there is another CR-1 in Michigan who can come to my aid here with some helpful information on any of this. The whole thing seems like its more hoops to jump through than necessary.

Most states require a few things.
  • Evidence of legal presence (Green-Card (I-551)) an I-94 card valid at least 1 year (K-3 visa), or and EAD card valid at least 1 year.
  • A SSN
  • Something showing Age (Passport)
  • Photo ID (Passport, EAD, or Green-card)

Only a very few states will issue a D.L. without legal presence evidence.

Some states will set D.L. Expiration to the expiration of the legal presence doc, (I-94, green-card, or EAD card) so for example sometimes I have seen people get a permit in California or Florida on a K-1 only to have the permit or D.L. expire 90 days after entry to the USA.

In our case I knew this was the case for NY so did not even bother trying to get permit until my wife got her Green-card, and when NY did issue the permit it had it's expiration set for 4 years.

D.L. questions can drive me nuts because driving privileges are granted by state so rules vary by the 50 states.

i see, currently the only doc showing my last name is her green card, SSN and debit card was done way before and we didn't have time to go get it changed so it's still showing her maiden name..

thanks for the reply!

In my opinion, it is best to have all documentation the same. I think the best thing to do is to change her name on her ss card and debit card as well as passport to match the green card. I know this can be a hassle (I am a USC and when I married my Chinese husband and came back to the US, it was a nightmare trying to change the SSN, DL, and passport).

I found that the best order to do this in is: Passport, SSN, and DL. The passport and SSN only require proof of marriage, and the GC reflecting your name will probably help as well. If your state is anything like mine, they will drive you mad trying to change her name. I had to have my passport, SSN, and marriage certificate to change my DL. They were pretty anal and bitchy too! Haha.

Anyway, I am not sure how easily she can get her Chinese passport changed, but definitely the SSN is pretty easy. Is there any special reason she wants to keep her maiden name on her DL? I am not sure what will happen if she shows her social security card and green card to apply for a permit/license because they will not be matching. Here in Hawaii, they can be pretty strict about the names matching...

Best of luck, let us know what happens!