Transit through Japan

After my wife gets her CR1 visa, she'll be taking a flight from China to New York (JFK Airport). Instead of a direct flight, we're looking at an overnight layover in Tokyo.

My wife has a Chinese passport. I am assuming the Japanese customs will automatically give her a 1-day transit visa if she stops in Tokyo - even if she doesn't have a tourist visa. After all she's not trying to enter Japan for tourist or other purposes; she just needs to stay overnight. She'll have a plane ticket to show them that she'll be flying out the next day on the same airline that she came in on. The airline will provide for hotel for the night.

Does anyone know if she'll have any problem getting the 1-day transit visa?

Edited by celiothrkn (see edit history)

Hope its a hotel at the airport, Tokyo is a hour and a half away by fast train at least.

As for a visa maybe if they leave the international terminal, I really dont know for sure.

BTW direct flights are just as cheap .

From what I have read she wont need a visa if not leaving the airport. Hoever cannot leave airport unless she has a tourist visa.

Chances are she will go through Narita. This a an major international hub-----it really doesn't do much domestic traffic at all.

I've been through Narita probably a dozen times in the last ten years, and every time----its changed. They are on some kind of long term improvement project that rivals Americans workin on the Interstate (five men leaning on the shovel, one working)..

I would advise her not to leave the secure area, but rather to catch some sleep as she can in the terminal..

If she wants to leave the terminal, ask for a "Shore Pass". My hubby and I lived in Japan for 2 years so on our way to Hawaii, we transfered in Osaka. Being a USC, I did not need a visa, but if you want to get off and are a PRC citizen, you can get a three day shore pass which will allow you to get out of the terminal. There is an area limitation on the shore pass, which I am assuming, in the case of Tokyo, will be limited to the Tokyo area, as the Osaka pass was valid only for the surrounding regions.

All my hubby did was show his transfer ticket, and he was issued the pass. We were able to go to Kyoto to visit his sister and shop. Our layover was only for about 8 hours, but it was nice to see his sister before coming to America.

This is taken from the Japanese Embassy site:

"Special dispensation, called a shore pass, may be granted to foreign passengers aboard an airplane or ship that is proceeding to another destination via Japan who wish to enter Japan temporarily for shopping or rest. A shore pass permits such foreigners to enter Japan as long as they remain in the vicinity of their port of call (in principle, the municipality in which the port of call is located) and for a period of less than 72 hours. "

You can see here: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html for more information.

We did this in July of 2008, and I am pretty sure the laws have not changed, but it is always good to double check. The site above was updated in 2009, so I am guessing the information is quite accurate.

If she wants to leave the terminal, ask for a "Shore Pass". My hubby and I lived in Japan for 2 years so on our way to Hawaii, we transfered in Osaka. Being a USC, I did not need a visa, but if you want to get off and are a PRC citizen, you can get a three day shore pass which will allow you to get out of the terminal. There is an area limitation on the shore pass, which I am assuming, in the case of Tokyo, will be limited to the Tokyo area, as the Osaka pass was valid only for the surrounding regions.

All my hubby did was show his transfer ticket, and he was issued the pass. We were able to go to Kyoto to visit his sister and shop. Our layover was only for about 8 hours, but it was nice to see his sister before coming to America.

"Special dispensation, called a shore pass, may be granted to foreign passengers aboard an airplane or ship that is proceeding to another destination via Japan who wish to enter Japan temporarily for shopping or rest. A shore pass permits such foreigners to enter Japan as long as they remain in the vicinity of their port of call (in principle, the municipality in which the port of call is located) and for a period of less than 72 hours. "

You can see here: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html for more information.

We did this in July of 2008, and I am pretty sure the laws have not changed, but it is always good to double check. The site above was updated in 2009, so I am guessing the information is quite accurate.

Very good information Thank you. My wife wanted to go out and do some sight seeing but they would not let her. They did not tell her about the shore pass. She had an 8 hour layover and had to spend the whole time in the terminal waiting area. I guess that they did not want to bother telling her and if you don't know to ask then you are just out of luck. Ignorance of the law is no excuse thing I guess.

Larry

Very good information Thank you. My wife wanted to go out and do some sight seeing but they would not let her. They did not tell her about the shore pass. She had an 8 hour layover and had to spend the whole time in the terminal waiting area. I guess that they did not want to bother telling her and if you don't know to ask then you are just out of luck. Ignorance of the law is no excuse thing I guess.

Larry

This is so true. If you do not know about it, they do not offer the information to you. We only knew about it because we went to the consulate in GUZ to ask for a tourist visa for him to see his sister. It was then that they told us about the shore pass. Hopefully this bit of info will help others who are trying to transit in Japan!