ESL Classes

My wife and I went to the local Community College this afternoon to query about enrolling her into ESL classes. The advisor who spoke with us told us he needs to see her original Diploma from her college back in China. Are all ESL classes like this? Or is this only because its a college?

College requirement I am guessing. We just ran into this at ACC in Austin. I think they want to make sure she has at least a HS degree. if not they want to make her get a GED or something. Showing them transcripts or a diploma from college verifies past college experience. They told us they might give credit for some of the classes. :lol: We registered, fought with them a bit to NOT classify her as an international student and they just put a hold on the account until we brought in transcripts.

Anyway, my wife's friend in the class showed them her diploma a few years ago when she was in beginning ESL classes and had it translated for about a $160. When I found out about that, I thought we should just go that route because my wife's college was being very cagey about sending the transcripts. Finally after a greased palm or two they promised to send them. What they sent I could have printed up on my computer and stamped it with any old Chinese stamp that gets stamped on any old receipt in China. You know what I mean. Circle surrounded by Chinese characters and a red star in the middle. ACC took them without batting an eyelash though. :P

She is finishing up the two ESL classes this week and taking Psychology, Freshman English, Speech and Biology next semester along with her new friend.

Must be a college requirement, I entered my wife into ESL class at my Community College, they did need diploma just had to have her do assessment tests for ESL and Math.

Where I live you can take ESL classes at the Community college or in some places churches offer them. My stepfather teaches ESl at the local church and my SO will be going to them shortly after her arrival.......I guess I got lucky on this one. We have a lot of Hispanic and Korean people around here.