I tried to read the Chinese Embassy site and the Los Angeles Consulate site, but I could find no information regarding this issue so maybe you all can help.

My hubby needs to renew his Chinese passport next year. I know that we are supposed to apply in Los Angeles for his new passport, but my hubby was told by his other Chinese friends that the Consul (or other authorized person) makes a trip to Honolulu about twice a year to handle these renewals within the state. Now, I may not have the most perfect Chinese, but I did not see anything about this on the Chinese Embassy/Consulate website. Supposedly they put it in the newspaper a month or so before they come to Hawaii.

Has anyone heard of this? I don't mind making the trip to Los Angeles because we have a lot of family there and there will be a family reunion in Vegas so we can hitch a ride to Vegas after we are done with the passport stuff, but hubby would like to save the trip, or at least have time to spend in Los Angeles doing something "better" than passport renewal.

Any of the 808 state people know anything about this? Have others heard of this happening? I don't want to doubt what hubby said, but we need to start planning our action plan here! biggrin.gif

Thanks as always for all your help!

I don't know, but it could be possible. The San Francisco Consulate travels to Portland and Seattle to offer passport renewal services. I don't think I have ever seen these announcements on their web site. They make this announcement in the local Chinese paper. This would be one place to keep your eye out for an announcement. I think San Francisco makes this trip two or three times a year.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Why not just call the consulate and ask them?

Chinese Passport Renewal

According to "Chinese Passport Law", effective January 01, 2007, Chinese Passport extension will not be performed any longer. Instead, applicant must apply for passport renewal. According to Chinese Consulate policy, most applicants are required to apply in person at the Chinese Consulate. For details, please contact with Chinese Consulate directly (FYI: Tel: 212 244-9498 or 212 868-2078 ).

VisaRite can only help applicants who is over 65 years of age. Consulate may change policy without notice. VisaRite will try it's best to provide accurate and update information as quickly as possible.

Here in China you can get on a special email list with the US Embassy and they provide you notifications of special events in other cities outside Beijing and the consulates regarding ACS, passport renewals, etc.

Perhaps the Chinese Embassy/Consulates have something similar.

Edited by whome? (see edit history)

Beware of the Chinese expert syndrome.

That is exactly the reason I came to CFL to ask! :lol: My hubby is so sure that anything his Chinese friends say is all true. So far they haven't been majorly wrong. He never believed me that people can get denied entry after living abroad for extended periods until it happened to the mother of his Chinese friend. Figures. I think Chinese men suffer from this syndrome just as much if not more than Chinese women! ;)

{edit} Minor error changed me to men.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

I tried to read the Chinese Embassy site and the Los Angeles Consulate site, but I could find no information regarding this issue so maybe you all can help.

My hubby needs to renew his Chinese passport next year. I know that we are supposed to apply in Los Angeles for his new passport, but my hubby was told by his other Chinese friends that the Consul (or other authorized person) makes a trip to Honolulu about twice a year to handle these renewals within the state. Now, I may not have the most perfect Chinese, but I did not see anything about this on the Chinese Embassy/Consulate website. Supposedly they put it in the newspaper a month or so before they come to Hawaii.

Has anyone heard of this? I don't mind making the trip to Los Angeles because we have a lot of family there and there will be a family reunion in Vegas so we can hitch a ride to Vegas after we are done with the passport stuff, but hubby would like to save the trip, or at least have time to spend in Los Angeles doing something "better" than passport renewal.

Any of the 808 state people know anything about this? Have others heard of this happening? I don't want to doubt what hubby said, but we need to start planning our action plan here! :lol:

My wife will soon be traveling to Houston, Texas to renew her passport. Does anyone have a link to the latest H-1 and H-2 forms in Chinese? Thank you all! : )

Any of the 808 state people know anything about this? Have others heard of this happening? I don't want to doubt what hubby said, but we need to start planning our action plan here! :D

My wife will soon be traveling to Houston, Texas to renew her passport. Does anyone have a link to the latest H-1 and H-2 forms in Chinese? Thank you all! : )

I find form for passport renewal and visa application here: http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/hzqz/hzlxz/default.htm

You need to explain H-1 H-2 forms first I have heard of such forms, H-1 makes me think of a work visa for the USA

Any of the 808 state people know anything about this? Have others heard of this happening? I don't want to doubt what hubby said, but we need to start planning our action plan here! :D

They made us fill out the ones they had at the consulate - the ones I had downloaded weren't good enough.

They made us fill out the ones they had at the consulate - the ones I had downloaded weren't good enough.

:D Kind of reminds me of the personnel at the medical centers in Guangzhou, even-though the consulate posts forms for people to download and fill out, some anal official thinks that the "official" government printed forms are better than the "official" online version.

Any of the 808 state people know anything about this? Have others heard of this happening? I don't want to doubt what hubby said, but we need to start planning our action plan here! :lol:

I find form for passport renewal and visa application here: http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/hzqz/hzlxz/default.htm

You need to explain H-1 H-2 forms first I have heard of such forms, H-1 makes me think of a work visa for the USA

H-1 is intended for Chinese passport renewal ($55.00) and H-2 is to add "Addendum" (+$10.00) for new "married name page" to passport to hopefully make future travel easier? All will occur next Monday (Feb 1st, 2010) in Houston, Texas, hopefully without any glitches! We have found both pdf's (fillable, but not saveable) should you all desire?