POE - Ticket purchase

http://i49.tinypic.com/14l5vmd.jpg

My wife and I are considering purchasing the above ticket. As you can tell, the flight from Beijing to Houston, has a stop in Newark. Has anyone encountered anything similar to this? Would this be when my wife goes through POE, or will she do the immigrant processing in Houston?

Thanks for your feedback!

In that case her POE would be Newark. And that looks like a pretty tight schedule to catch the flight to Houston imo. But I have never been to that airport, so maybe others can confirm you will have enough time or not.

Yes you have enough time.

The flight travels close to the North Pole (actually on the Russioan side of it, according to the in flight maps they display) and is the most direct route between Houston and Beijing (well, also United through Chicago which goes on the other side of the pole).

My wife and I came back through there when she was on AP. The flight was late, so the Immigrations Officer told me to go ahead and get the luggage. Until he discovered she didn't speak English. So they actually came out to the luggage carousel to ask me who she was.

In the end, we made a made dash to the departure gate just in time for their scheduled departure, and just in time to sit there and wait 30 mins for the actual departure.

It's a fascinating route in the summer when it has sunlight, not so much in the winter.

The Polar Route

Randy, I would normally agree with you about the time. However, this is her first trip to the US, so she will require extra processing at POE. Almost everyone I have known has taken 1 1/2 hours on their first trip through a US POE (K1,IR5 or CR1). I have seen where almost a full plane is processed and it's passengers release to the concourse in 20 minutes only to have someone coming in as IR5 status take 1 1/2 hours to get through. So you might want to consider the need for extra processing.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Also - the gate in Houston is in the International terminal. Don't let that fool you. You will duck down a side concourse to take you to Terminal D, bypassing the International stuff.

At the time you arrive in Newark, there is not much incoming traffic - you won't have a problem. My wife took this flight on her first trip and didn't speak English. Make sure the IO knows of your connection.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

http://i49.tinypic.com/14l5vmd.jpg

My wife and I are considering purchasing the above ticket. As you can tell, the flight from Beijing to Houston, has a stop in Newark. Has anyone encountered anything similar to this? Would this be when my wife goes through POE, or will she do the immigrant processing in Houston?

Thanks for your feedback!

POE will be Newark, the first airport is always the POE.

Thanks guys for your input. I sincerely appreciate it. Your concerns about having enough time to make our connecting flight were identical to our own. We have an aunt who lives close to the Newark Airport, so we're probably going to crash at her place and get up early the next morning and make our connecting flight. This is what we're looking at:

http://i46.tinypic.com/104nk3q.jpg

You can close this thread. Tickets booked. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)