Teaching her to drive

chilton747

I have come across a post that talked about teaching your spouses to drive.

So for driving: she wants you to have a driver's manual in Chinese. Failing that, she wants you to explain all the rules for her clearly. Then in the car, she wants you to be extremely patient. Before she ever goes out to practice driving, you should have already researched the typical route they take for the actual driver's test (you can do that by shadowing test-takers until you know the whole route and all variations). Then you practice on the actual route because it sets her up for success. It maximizes her chances to succeed at the task.

I have come across an instructor or two in my area that specialize in teaching the driver to pass the driving test. Now when the wife's patience runs out with you teaching her then this option tends to be somewhat attractive, not to mention desire to get that license.

But one thing has to be understood. Studying for the test and passing it does NOT mean that you are ready to drive. Sure they might pass the test but the driving miserably fails as soon as they leave the testing grounds. This is giving her a sure death sentence!

My wife first fell for the fast instruction needed to pass the test but I told her it was not efficient enough for her to safely drive on the road. Believe it or not she believed me. :ohmy: I told her that if she was properly trained to drive on the roads and negotiate her way in parking lots then she could easily pass the test..

One day it will be time to cut them loose on their own. Make sure they have complete control of the car, control of all the signage and lights, and the ability to watch out for others that are not obeying the laws.

As my wife says, older people are harder to teach than young people. I have found this to be true.

Good luck to everyone!!

Teaching my wife to drive has been on of our greatest challenges.

Chinese tend to learn by memorization, study something over and over then take test. Learning to drive is NOT memorization, it is developing a skill, and then showing that you understand how to safely operate the car.

For the most part I have been doing the training, but we have also had a driving school give her lessons, up to and including taking her to road test.

At one time she was convinced that I needed to take her to area that she would test in so that she could memorize the roads that she would test on, eventually I got her to understand the concept that what they are looking for is driving skills not knowing the road.

She came close the last time she tested, I hope she passes next week.

Teaching my wife to drive has been on of our greatest challenges.

Chinese tend to learn by memorization, study something over and over then take test. Learning to drive is NOT memorization, it is developing a skill, and then showing that you understand how to safely operate the car.

So true.......However, my wife has a very hard time trying to remember to keep the car between the lines :o

Very challenging indeed!! :lol:

The most important thing is for them to always carry a cell phone when they drive alone. It will give them something to do while waiting on the wrecker. :D

Yep, thinking that too, I bought her a $1500 beater nearly 2 years ago for her to learn on.

My two other cars have 5 speed clutch drives, TOO much for her to handle. Hey I am a truck driver!