K1 I-134 question

For a K1 visa.

Does question 10 need to be filled in with SO's info from question 3 or would "none" apply to question 10?

I am assuming the answer is "none" since it's pretty obvious this affidavit is executed on behalf SO name in question 3 and is submitted during the K1 interview.

But then again, government forms are so obtuse it wouldn't surprise me if the answer is yes.

For a K1 visa.

Does question 10 need to be filled in with SO's info from question 3 or would "none" apply to question 10?

I am assuming the answer is "none" since it's pretty obvious this affidavit is executed on behalf SO name in question 3 and is submitted during the K1 interview.

But then again, government forms are so obtuse it wouldn't surprise me if the answer is yes.

There is a great sample of this form filled out for a K1 on http://www.visajourney.com just click example forms at the top of the page i linked. I used that example when doing our I-134

For a K1 visa.

There is a great sample of this form filled out for a K1 on http://www.visajourney.com just click example forms at the top of the page i linked. I used that example when doing our I-134

Just what I need. Thanks.

For a K1 visa.

A few notes:

The directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105370,00.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

For a K1 visa.

A few notes:

The directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

Thanks for the info.

Question on income. If you recently became unemployed (i.e., very recent), but your income before this was significantly above the poverty line, do you still have to declare your other assets?

Thanks for the info.

Question on income. If you recently became unemployed (i.e., very recent), but your income before this was significantly above the poverty line, do you still have to declare your other assets?

Yes, and assents need to = 3 times 125% poverty line. Your income is essentially ZERO.

So for example, if 125% poverty-line = 20,000 then declared liquid assets need to = 60,000. Asset needs to be easily converted to cash, an automobile can be considered an asset only if it is not your primary car, it has to be a second car, an home can be counted if for example it is a second home.

What line of the 1040 has to be 125%...

Total Income or the AGI?

Total income. AGI is only used if you used 1040EZ

I file 1040.

Line 7 is Wages/tips/salary.

Line 22 is Total Income

Line 36 is Adjusted Gross Income after deductions

So Line 22 is what needs to be 125%?

One more question, the family size has to be 2 or 1 when I file AOS?

Edited by Sam and Fen (see edit history)

What line of the 1040 has to be 125%...

Total Income or the AGI?

Total income. AGI is only used if you used 1040EZ

I file 1040.

Line 7 is Wages/tips/salary.

Line 22 is Total Income

Line 36 is Adjusted Gross Income after deductions

So Line 22 is what needs to be 125%?

Yes, Total Income BEFORE deductions.

One more question, the family size has to be 2 or 1 when I file AOS?

Two, or more.

You and any dependents, and the immigrant you will be sponsoring with the affidavit of support.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Your income is essentially ZERO.

Well, that's my question. By income, do they consider severance if it's paid in bits and pieces as opposed to a lump sum? What about unemployment insurance? Also, if you are within the gov. mandated 60 days notification period, I guess you are still "technically" employed as you are still receiving your regular paychecks and benefits within that time frame.

I had co-workers that were recalled within the 60 days in the past and legally, their work status didn't change. They just got a few extra weeks off with pay. ;-)

Your income is essentially ZERO.

Well, that's my question. By income, do they consider severance if it's paid in bits and pieces as opposed to a lump sum? What about unemployment insurance? Also, if you are within the gov. mandated 60 days notification period, I guess you are still "technically" employed as you are still receiving your regular paychecks and benefits within that time frame.

I had co-workers that were recalled within the 60 days in the past and legally, their work status didn't change. They just got a few extra weeks off with pay. ;-)

If you're receiving money, you have income. You are NOT required to pay any tax. It's up to you to prove the income, and that it's enough. However, a non-sustainable income is likely to cost you a few points with the VO.

Your co-workers were restored to their previous status - it was not continuous.

Figure up the angles (including assets and co-sponsors, if possible) and do your best. It's possible that a temporary interruption in your employment might not be held against you.