bringing or wiring funds from China

I apologize if this has been covered before, I tried searching and found nothing ...

The question is on bringing or wiring funds from China when entering US on K-1 visa.

I have heard limits of $5000 or $10,000 per year can be carried out of China. True?

Will banks wire more? If so, what is a good bank to use?

If I have documentation of wiring money there previously, can this amount be brought back on top of whatever other limits exist?

I know that funds over $10,000 need to be declared with customs, I am not concerned with that. Mainly trying to understand what limitation exist on the Chinese side.

Thanks,

Todd

This is my own experience with this. My wife and daughter brought $8,000 cash on the airplane. Nobody cares how much you travel here with,you only need to declare $10,000 or more on your declarations form. No taxes or fees. We arranged for a wire transfer of an additional $45,000,in a single transaction, after they were here. She thought the transfer fee was to high at her Chinese banks,so she sent the money to her brother in Hong Kong where the rate was cheaper and he wired it to a local bank here. My bank does not do this,so you may need to arrange this through another bank. I think the receiving bank charged $15 or $25. I know Wells Fargo Bank does this too.

I apologize if this has been covered before, I tried searching and found nothing ...

The question is on bringing or wiring funds from China when entering US on K-1 visa.

I have heard limits of $5000 or $10,000 per year can be carried out of China. True?

Will banks wire more? If so, what is a good bank to use?

If I have documentation of wiring money there previously, can this amount be brought back on top of whatever other limits exist?

I know that funds over $10,000 need to be declared with customs, I am not concerned with that. Mainly trying to understand what limitation exist on the Chinese side.

Thanks,

Todd

$10K CASH

Its all covered in the "Trains,planes & comms" and stateside forums, lots of posts on money transfers. :lol:

Lots of posts on money INTO China, few or none on OUT of China. Maybe I am search-challenged. :D

No, you're not. That's correct - there are very few to none covering China to US transfers.