Hi

My parents -in law will be leaving soon .going back to china...are they supposed to turn in the I-94 card at the airport when they leave.. Where would they turn it in, because you don't have to go through immigration or custom when you leave the country...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Leave it in the passport until they get home. If someone wants it, they'll take it.

They will get an exit stamp when they leave. I would think they'd take it at that point.

You need to make sure and get the I-94 arrival/departure form back to DHS. Otherwise you can have very big problems if you ever want to visit the US again.

What If No One Takes Your I-94 Form Upon Departure Failure to turn in your I-94 (or I-94W) when you leave the U.S. can create a serious problem. Without this record of your departure, you will be identified in our records as an "overstay." Being identified as an overstay means that you will be denied re-entry into the U.S. If you failed to turn in your I-94, please send it - along with any documentation that proves you left the U.S. to ACS Inc. 1084 South Laurel Rd., London, Kentucky 40744.

Documentation to prove your departure can include the boarding pass from your flight. If you exited the country by a land border it is much harder to verify that you did- in fact - leave the country on the date you claim. If you have any documentation of your arrival in your home country (i.e. passport stamp), then you should send a copy of that. If the above office does not have any supporting documents to substantiate your claim to have left the U.S. on a certain date, there is no guarantee that you will be entered into the record as having done so. We strongly urge you to keep a copy of what you send to ACS Inc. and to carry it with you the next time you come to the U.S. in case the CBP officer has any questions about your eligibility to enter.

If you want to confirm that your I-94 was received by ACS, please give them 4 months to process the paperwork. Then you can write the following address to determine whether or not your departure was recorded. If you turned in the I-94 when you left the U.S. as required, please do NOT request confirmation that it is on file. This process is only for people who did not turn in the I-94 when they exited the U.S.

You will need to provide your name, date of birth, passport number, and date of departure, in addition to asking whether or not your departure was recorded. U.S. Customs and Border Protection Air Sea Passenger Operations, Room 5.4D, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington D.C. 20229.

Here links with some information about returning the form and what to do if you get home with the form in your passport. As you see, this can be a big problem for even Canadian citizens, so it is very important DHS gets this form back in a timely fashion.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/form_i-94.asp

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

You need to make sure and get the I-94 arrival/departure form back to DHS. Otherwise you can have very big problems if you ever want to visit the US again.

Exactly! DHS needs the departure record so that it is noted that they did not overstay the allowed period of stay.

What If No One Takes Your I-94 Form Upon Departure Failure to turn in your I-94 (or I-94W) when you leave the U.S. can create a serious problem. Without this record of your departure, you will be identified in our records as an "overstay." Being identified as an overstay means that you will be denied re-entry into the U.S. If you failed to turn in your I-94, please send it - along with any documentation that proves you left the U.S. to ACS Inc. 1084 South Laurel Rd., London, Kentucky 40744.

Documentation to prove your departure can include the boarding pass from your flight. If you exited the country by a land border it is much harder to verify that you did- in fact - leave the country on the date you claim. If you have any documentation of your arrival in your home country (i.e. passport stamp), then you should send a copy of that. If the above office does not have any supporting documents to substantiate your claim to have left the U.S. on a certain date, there is no guarantee that you will be entered into the record as having done so. We strongly urge you to keep a copy of what you send to ACS Inc. and to carry it with you the next time you come to the U.S. in case the CBP officer has any questions about your eligibility to enter.

If you want to confirm that your I-94 was received by ACS, please give them 4 months to process the paperwork. Then you can write the following address to determine whether or not your departure was recorded. If you turned in the I-94 when you left the U.S. as required, please do NOT request confirmation that it is on file. This process is only for people who did not turn in the I-94 when they exited the U.S.

You will need to provide your name, date of birth, passport number, and date of departure, in addition to asking whether or not your departure was recorded. U.S. Customs and Border Protection Air Sea Passenger Operations, Room 5.4D, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington D.C. 20229.

Here links with some information about returning the form and what to do if you get home with the form in your passport. As you see, this can be a big problem for even Canadian citizens, so it is very important DHS gets this form back in a timely fashion.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/form_i-94.asp

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

Is the following statement true? I found it on the above link provided

"If you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified, and it is not necessary to take any further action, although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass - if you still have it - can help expedite your re-entry next time you come back to the United States."

That means my parents - in law don't have to do anything about the I-94 right? thank you...

They were granted a multi-entry visa that is not expired until 7/2010. Does it mean they can come back for an other visit before the visa expires?.... thank you...

Yes Multi-Entry means just that, I can be used multiple times.

Also from what I read, sometimes the airline official collects the I-94 cards before you board the plane.

The exit stamp in your passport is proof that you exited the country and that it was recorded.

thank you all for the information. I don't know if they stamp your passport when you exit the country....at least not on the U.S passport....I'll have them check with the airline before they board....

The exit stamp in your passport is proof that you exited the country and that it was recorded.

thank you all for the information. I don't know if they stamp your passport when you exit the country....at least not on the U.S passport....I'll have them check with the airline before they board....

When my wife went back to China, I had her go to Immigration to ask them where to turn in the I-94. They told her Immigration could not take and that she should turn it in when she boarded the plane. I told my wife that she needed to check with the front desk before boarding. She told me that they took the I-94 then. She might have been a little confused, but somewhere along the boarding process, they took the form.