Ten most troubled states in the U.S.

tonado

My State (Mass) is in bad shape too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ten-most-tro...ml?x=0&.v=7

"The 10 most troubled states are: Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island and Wisconsin.

Other states -- including Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, New York and Hawaii -- were not far behind.

The list is based on several factors, including the loss of state revenue, size of budget gaps, unemployment and foreclosure rates, poor money management practices, and state laws governing the passage of budgets."

"The 10 most troubled states are: Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island and Wisconsin.

Other states -- including Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, New York and Hawaii -- were not far behind.

The list is based on several factors, including the loss of state revenue, size of budget gaps, unemployment and foreclosure rates, poor money management practices, and state laws governing the passage of budgets."

I find it interesting that most of those states are traditionally blue states.

My state, Indiana, is in very good fiscal shape considering the tough times we are in.

Edited by bcco (see edit history)

My state, Indiana, is in very good fiscal shape considering the tough times we are in.

Colorado and Nevada aren't your prototypical blue states...although apparently Colorado has so many people fleeing the People's Republic of California and bringing their principle of govt with them that I guess that it is starting to flip.

I don't know about Georgia and Kentucky, but I didn't think they were solidly in the blue state column like the rest of those on the list are.

Colorado and Nevada aren't your prototypical blue states...although apparently Colorado has so many people fleeing the People's Republic of California and bringing their principle of govt with them that I guess that it is starting to flip.

I don't know about Georgia and Kentucky, but I didn't think they were solidly in the blue state column like the rest of those on the list are.

GA, KY, NV, and AZ are the exceptions imo.

State lawmakers have limited ability to deal with California's massive budget gap due to several voter-imposed restrictions, including requirements that all budgets and tax increases pass the legislature by a two-thirds majority.

This is the only thing that has saved California from completely falling to from actions of an out of control liberal government. If we didn't have that we would have been taxed to the point that the state economy would fail.

We are dealing with a legislature whose members are from pre-drawn districts so no worries of losing an election, and labor unions (SEIU) using dues, collected under force of law, to hold Sacramento under their thumb.

If we didn't have these checks in place, California would have 3 times the taxes right now, and would be spending 5 times as much. This was thanks to Gov. Jerry Brown (Gov Moon Beam) in the 70's and started the 35 year decline we are in now.

And now he wants to be Governor again? :D

What the "Governator" said makes the most sense.

And in California, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday that his state is facing a budget gap of up to $7 billion. The state will likely announce across-the-board spending cuts in January.

"So we just have to hang in there, tighten our belts and live within our means," he said.