Rural China (Donglu Shandong)

Here are very good and true pictures of one rural Chinese village in Shandong province. I have actually been here to look at an installation for a work related project.

The only reason I post this link is because the pictures are "true" to life and most of what is written is what I saw or was told when asked questions to people I trusted to give me straight answers.

I leave it up to you to decide how bad or not bad the life really is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pict...hina/html/1.stm

I wish there were more photographs to give a clearer view of what life is like there. Several of the pictures were just close-ups of individuals. Regardless, it was nice to see them and to gain a little insight. Thanks for the link.

Seems like a fairly universally accurate account of rural life in China. architecture is different than the south, and the re-enforced flat roofs are interesting, but roof tops and balconies are used all over China to dry corn, (and rice in the south). Also, to grow gardens, which makes perfect sense, since its away from foraging animals and particularly chickens. Many families also have rooftop gardens in mid-sized cities.

A story related to me is about how to deal with the chicken that develops just enough flying skill to reach the rooftop garden-----the one quickly taken out of the gene pool-----and into the pot.

I consider the BBC an accurate source in China, also whome.

Reminds me of some of the areas surrounding my wife's home town in Henan. I don't think the people there are missing much of anything with the possible exception of indoor plumbing and drinkable water. Give them TV's, cars and video games and the rest of the junk we say makes us "civilized" and they'll be wishing for the "good old days when life was so simple". Or maybe I'm just grouchy from my 50 minute commute home from work!

Are they poor by US standards? Yes. Are they happy? Sure looks like they are from the big, happy smiles on their faces? Is the amount of money one has a measure of ones happiness? Definitely not.

Do they want better for their children? Don't we all?

All that aside, except for no indoor plumbing, the pictures remind me of my family's farm in central California where I spent many summers and holidays, some of the most enjoyable times and best memories of my childhood. What we didn't have was rarely considered.

"...Those pics seem pretty mild compared to what I have seen over the years...."

Not the point.

But I see where you feel the need to post that----there are some here who always view the glass half empty. Sure, I've seen worse---many times too. And in every aspect of Chinese life.

Here IS the point: Is this a valid snapshot of life in this village on this day??

...and if it is, then, are there other rural equivalents throughout China? We weigh against the Totality of our experience in China, not gravitating towards the extremes---------unless the extremes are the topic of the post. And that is not the case here.

Those pics seem pretty mild compared to what I have seen over the years.

My only intent was to say I have seen this particular village and the BBC pictures and descriptions are a very accurate representation of the village. I cannot speak for all villages in China (although some of the others in Shandong I have visited are very similar).

Those pics seem pretty mild compared to what I have seen over the years.

My only intent was to say I have seen this particular village and the BBC pictures and descriptions are a very accurate representation of the village. I cannot speak for all villages in China (although some of the others in Shandong I have visited are very similar).

Sorry whome. My intent was to further validate authenticity by basically saying that if one was wanting to portray an extremely poor representation of rural china then they could have done much better than that. I would consider those pics very normal and common sights of rural china in most places.

I apologize for my poor choice of words. I am terrible at communication, just ask my wife. :P