Study in America... what does a Chinese need to be able to study

Magnus1977

A quick note and explanation.

My wife really wants to study. we've been in America for about a year. She is from Shanghai and has a 3 year degree. We want to finish it here and/or continue studying.

So we've been told by a lot of people that you need to talk to some transcript services...

I looked at one... WES.org and called them. They mentioned that we need to talk to the Ministry of Education in China... they will send my wife's transcripts I guess, to WES and they will figure out the equivalent classes and grades... then send it to whatever school we want.

This seems costly 160 US dollars for WES and who knows the Ministry of Education. My wife checked out the Chinese MoEducation site and couldn't figure anything out. Not clear.

So we're kind of stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any links to other past posts would be nice too.

Thanks everyone. (why do I always come here at the last minute?)

Depends alot on what subject she was studying.

Heres how it worked for me , this is from the UK, Original transtricts from Universities sent to one of the Comparision companies here (there are a few). They break it down into subects and credit hours and then send it to the college/university you are applying to here.

The college will then tell what you need to do to complete there.

Trascription must go direct to them , not touch your hands first.

You get a copy.

To simply take classes at an open enrolment college like a community college your wife may be required to take an English assessment test and me be required to take an ESL class.

As for continuing education, the foreign transcript probably will need to be evaluated by an evaluation service.

A few services:

http://www.evaluationservice.net/

http://www.educational-perspectives.org/

My wife really wants to study. we've been in America for about a year. She is from Shanghai and has a 3 year degree. We want to finish it here and/or continue studying.

So we've been told by a lot of people that you need to talk to some transcript services...

I looked at one... WES.org and called them. They mentioned that we need to talk to the Ministry of Education in China... they will send my wife's transcripts I guess, to WES and they will figure out the equivalent classes and grades... then send it to whatever school we want.

This seems costly 160 US dollars for WES and who knows the Ministry of Education. My wife checked out the Chinese MoEducation site and couldn't figure anything out. Not clear.

So we're kind of stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any links to other past posts would be nice too.

the university she will attend is always the place to start.

So we're kind of stuck.

the university she will attend is always the place to start.

Yeah, I agree. The University/School will tell you exactly what you need to submit for admission and each one maybe be a little different. This was one thing we found. Normally to start they will want a ToEFL exam if English is a second language. Continuing an education requires transcripts translated through an evaluation service. Even if she will not be continuing an education, they will probably want her High School diploma or any higher transcripts available translated and evaluated. Depending on the school, they may require use of a certain evaluation service. My wife is going to massage school at Everest Institute. They simply wanted the documents, they sent them in and returned them after it was done. The charge for evaluation was around $160.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

The simple answer is to make an appointment with the Admissions/Foreign Admission office of the college that you choose. They will be happy to point you in the right direction, tell you everything you need and how to get it. They will tell you the evaluation service they prefer, give you instructions on how to get the transcripts from a foreign country, etc.