QQ International - English Version - Updated 2009

QQ, without a doubt is the main instant messaging platform used in China. Until earlier this year, the English version was outdated.

When visting the link below, McAfee SiteAdvisor will show up red, signaling that there might be something fishy with the program download. Being somewhat curious though, I went a head and downloaded it, ran it through my AV program (Kaspersky) before installing it, as well as ran a full system scan afterward - no issues were found.

One thing I really like about the QQ program, is that the international version is just the chat client, not the entire QQ suite (which contained a bunch of crap that ultimately bogged down your computer). Tencent seemed to get take the hint with this release.

Once nice function is the screen capture function when using video chat (they also have audio calling w/o video). I would suspect that all of you guys/gals whose spouse/fiance are separated by the big pond, could find applicable uses for it (ie. presenting it with your chat/call logs. It also keeps a detailed history log.

One note:

Registering for a QQ number was a pain the butt for me. My wife did it though her Chinese version. No problems. If you run into busy servers, you can always have your fiance/spouse register one for you.

http://www.imqq.com/download.shtml

I had the same issue - get your fiance to get one for you. I hate the way they make you retype everything in if their server is busy. Very annoying!

I just downloaded it this evening (China time), about three hours ago, so I'm uncertain if one time is better than another. Past QQ English versions, had the same issue though. I think with the old QQ 2004 English version, I also had to get my wife to help me register.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

One thing I have noticed about the newer version is it displays Chinese without needing to be tricked into thinking it is running on Chinese windows.

QQ is full of trojens, be careful

Ummm perhaps so perhaps not. As with any IM software, this could be an issue - but it can be easily avoided using common sense. Do what I did and it won't be a problem. Set your QQ to not accept any files (file transfers). I also set up permissions on who could add me and who couldn't. There are setting you can use to make it much more private and secure, ie. disable automatic updating.

The software itself is clean. It's how you use it that causes problems. Once again, this is only the QQ chat program, not the QQ suite which does download a lot of crap to your computer. This download does not install Tencent browser, etc. . .

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

One thing I really like about the QQ program, is that the international version is just the chat client, not the entire QQ suite (which contained a bunch of crap that ultimately bogged down your computer). Tencent seemed to get take the hint with this release.

Once nice function is the screen capture function when using video chat (they also have audio calling w/o video). I would suspect that all of you guys/gals whose spouse/fiance are separated by the big pond, could find applicable uses for it (ie. presenting it with your chat/call logs. It also keeps a detailed history log.

This is great to see another version available...

But all the features you mention are in QQ2009 (which I use)... I did download and install the Int'l version and not seeing too much different from what I already use but I'll use it for now. thanks.

This is great to see another version available...

But all the features you mention are in QQ2009 (which I use)... I did download and install the Int'l version and not seeing too much different from what I already use but I'll use it for now. thanks.

Yep QQ2009 is the version we are using, I simply un-checked every option that it suggested installing, and just installed the messenger.

I like KJJ other suggestions to secure the program.