Age Discrimination by the Federal Government

I thought that Age Discrimination was strictly prohibited in the USA.

I have a neighbor that is in a tight spot because he is 59, too young to retire, and too old to get a "new" job. His company downsized about 6 months ago and he has been having LOTS of problems finding a new job.

Anyway, I was looking at some of the job postings on BCIS, and noticed that they will not interview people 37 or over!!!! It makes me feel like an old man!!!! Of course, they have passed a law to make it legal????? :D

http://www.bice.gov/jobs/pdf/va_iea.pdf

Age Requirement: In accordance with Public Law 100-238, this position is covered under law enforcement retirement provisions; therefore, candidates must be appointed before reaching their 37th birthday unless they presently serve or have previously served in a Federal civilian law enforcement position.

Anyway, I thought there were Federal laws to prohibit age discrimination.

----- Clifford -----

Yes, the police and military have some valid points. Primarily they require the officers to be in top physical condition (in theory). Of course, I would think that some individuals would be able to pass the physical up to age 50 or even later. How old is RAMBO (Sylvester Stallone)?

I don't see customs officers as requiring the same physical prowess as police officers or army cadets (even though they may fall under the same classifications).

Anyway, 37 + 20 is still 57 which is below retirement age.

I just find it ironic that the federal government will pass laws against age discrimination, then not hire people who are even past their prime.

----- Clifford ------

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/adea.html

PROHIBITION OF AGE DISCRIMINATION

SEC. 623. [section 4]

(a) It shall be unlawful for an employer-

(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual or

otherwise discriminate against any individual with respect to his

compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of

such individual's age;

(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees in any way which

would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment

opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee,

because of such individual's age; or

(3) to reduce the wage rate of any employee in order to comply with

this chapter.

(b ) It shall be unlawful for an employment agency to fail or refuse to

refer for employment, or otherwise to discriminate against, any individual

because of such individual's age, or to classify or refer for employment

any individual on the basis of such individual's age.

this has something to do with getting your 20 years in before you are to old to be effective, military is same way!

I don't understand the stupid military at all. I tried to join at 14. I was too young. Tried again at 22, no way, short sighted. (all in China). Tried at 30. No way, need citizenship. Tried again at 37. No way, aged out. I mean, I tried the Chinese air force, the army, the US army, JAG, the national guard and even something like the FBI. I even volunteered to be a UC for PD on the trains to catch robbers. No one would take me. Then I tried to get my own equipment, legally. My boss did not believe in self-protection and refused to write me a letter so that I could get a carrying license when I was working for as a prosecutor and did get threats from some unhappy campers. That sucks.