How is you car knowledge?

Guest Tony n Terrific

This has been known for some time.

Most of the Japanese companies have found it less expensive to build in the USA rather than build in Japan and then ship to the USA.

The US car makers still build in North America, but have operations in Mex and Can as well as the USA "NAFTA", this has been the norm for a very long time.

You might want to buy American, but do you even know which cars are mostly built here, and which are built abroad? It's not as easy as you think. Test your knowledge. I scored 5 out of 6.

http://money.cnn.com/quizzes/2009/autos/mo...ican/index.html

It's funny that you mention this because of the car thing we have here with our son. You are absolutely correct! Many so called "American" cars are not assembled in this country. Example: The 1998 Pontiac Trans Am our son just got last week was actually "born" in Canada. I was able after much ado about nothing from local dealerships, to learn something of this car's history. A service such as Car Fax can be very valuable to the prospective buyer. However, even CarFax cannot always tell you everything you wish to know about the car you're looking at. In this case I was able to get a copy of the original window sticker (from an out of state dealer). What this info tells me exactly what equipment the car had when it was delivered to the dealership from the factory. That is valuable info because if I/we ever find something that is not listed on that invoice that means that a previous owner had it altered for whatever reasons. Most times this sort of thing is not critical to the safety of the vehicle. It just says to me that if anything related to it ever arises again I'm better prepared to approach it. DISCLAIMER: I am not by any means an automotive expert guru. I do however have over 40 years of experience being around these things. Always remember, do your research thoroughly! Do not be ashamed to take your notes with you when you're shopping for your next ride. If you ask a question the dealer can't answer to your satisfaction excuse yourself from the desk and call someone who can look it up on the internet or use the laptop you brought with you. Dealers are human and as such prone to make errors sometimes. Not intentionally at times. If you still have any doubts whatsoever, STOP!!! Go home, think about it and then make an informed decision. The chances are that you will regret it later on if you don't. At the same time, please be reasonable while negotiating the deal. You can be reasonable as well as firm without acting like you know more then the sales person. It's like playing poker. Never, ever let the guy on the other side of the table know what cards you have in your hand. For example: This Trans Am we have now had (when it was new) an MSRP of over $31K. Hell would freeze over before I paid that much for it. Hence, it was/is worth more than the $6K we paid for it. Even 12 model years later. My research tells me that for what we paid, we stole this thing. It's average sale price is nearly double what we paid. I hope it's ok with the CFL powers that be that I offer to any CFL member my opinion/evaluation to those who ask for it.

Edited by dcwfn (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

The first letter or number on your vehicle serial number tells you where the country of final assembly. Example:

Code Description

1 USA

2 Canada

3 Mexico

4 USA

5 USA

6 Australia

8 Argentina

9 Brazil

J Japan

S England

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)