POE Airports

The wife is now considering coming to US earlier than she originally thought. So my question is : does it matter what POE airport she goes to? Her ultimate destination will be Detroit Metro Airport in Romulus, but alas, this is not yet a POE airport. So we are trying to decide ... New York, New Jersey, Chicago ... does it matter? Or can we just look for the best deal price wise and deal with her POE anywhere? Thanks in advance.

I don't think it matters. Just look for the best deal. That's what we're going to do. You can check out VJ for POE reviews, if you'd like to consider that information when purchasing a ticket. One thing I'd consider though is allotting enough time for the POE procedures before your wife's connecting flight.

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Does not matter which POE she uses.

There are flights from China through Tokyo that end in Detroit, North West / Delta for one.

It doesn't matter - whichever airport she lands in first on US soil (and some Canadian airports) is the POE.

Direct from China, there is LA, San Francisco, Portland, Chicago, and Newark. If she changes planes before coming to the US (in Japan, Korea, or wherever), she may hit one of the others (like DFW).

The wife is now considering coming to US earlier than she originally thought. So my question is : does it matter what POE airport she goes to? Her ultimate destination will be Detroit Metro Airport in Romulus, but alas, this is not yet a POE airport. So we are trying to decide ... New York, New Jersey, Chicago ... does it matter? Or can we just look for the best deal price wise and deal with her POE anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Why is Detroit not a POE? I return to US from China, through there all the time, I think they have a non stop from Shanghai.

Why is Detroit not a POE? I return to US from China, through there all the time, I think they have a non stop from Shanghai.

Detroit Metro (DTW) which does international flights, I think OP is confused.

http://www.metroairport.com/airlines/

I see flights from Canada (Sometimes considered domestic, customs tends to be done in Canada before getting on the plane), Japan (Delta), Air-France, England,...

MORE: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/airp...airportCode=DTW

Yeah, I may be confused ... I only know that all of my flights to China I have had to layover in Dulles, or Newerk before flying onto China. So my assumption was that Detroit Metro did not have international flights or POE status. Sorry for any confusion :rolleyes: .

That's because you fly Continental or United. With United, the POE is Chicago (Dulles is was the second stop - I tnk they've added direct flights from Dulles). With Continental, the POE is Newark (unless the pilots are confused :unsure: )

With Northwest, you can go through other POE's if you wish.

Best thing to do is to pick start and destination airports, and let the airline choose the POE. Check Air Canada and NorthWest

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yeah, I may be confused ... I only know that all of my flights to China I have had to layover in Dulles, or Newerk before flying onto China. So my assumption was that Detroit Metro did not have international flights or POE status. Sorry for any confusion :rolleyes: .

That's because you fly Continental or United. With United, the POE is Chicago (Dulles is was the second stop - I tnk they've added direct flights from Dulles). With Continental, the POE is Newark (unless the pilots are confused :unsure: )

With Northwest, you can go through other POE's if you wish.

Best thing to do is to pick start and destination airports, and let the airline choose the POE. Check Air Canada and NorthWest

A word of caution, if chosing a flight for your spouse to come to the USA on a visa, avoid any flights that may layover in Canada, your spouse may be required to have a transit visa for Canada. If have green-card, can make connection in Canada without a visa.

A word of caution, if chosing a flight for your spouse to come to the USA on a visa, avoid any flights that may layover in Canada, your spouse may be required to have a transit visa for Canada. If have green-card, can make connection in Canada without a visa.

I had the same thoughts last year of using Air Canada through Toronto, but decided against it. I couldn't figure out how to get a Canada transit visa for my wife (even emailed the Canadian Consulate in China, and got a response that they don't do it there). The other question about that I had was I was not 100% sure too that the Canadian airports can do immigration for US citizens at their POE. Some Canadian airports (Toronto airport for example) has a US Customs at the airport, so you don't need to do customs at your destination in America, but I'm not sure about immigration. I thought there were too many unknowns to try it, but I'd like to know if anyone was able to do this successfully...

I had the same thoughts last year of using Air Canada through Toronto, but decided against it. I couldn't figure out how to get a Canada transit visa for my wife (even emailed the Canadian Consulate in China, and got a response that they don't do it there). The other question about that I had was I was not 100% sure too that the Canadian airports can do immigration for US citizens at their POE. Some Canadian airports (Toronto airport for example) has a US Customs at the airport, so you don't need to do customs at your destination in America, but I'm not sure about immigration. I thought there were too many unknowns to try it, but I'd like to know if anyone was able to do this successfully...

FYI, The "Pre-clearence" in Canada does both customs and immigrations, many immigrating from Canada go through this before boarding the plane to the USA.

Shes flying United. Hong Kong to Chicago ... 4 hour layover for customs, immigration, etc, then on to Detroit Metro.

Excellent, 4 hours is plenty for Chicago.

FYI, The "Pre-clearence" in Canada does both customs and immigrations, many immigrating from Canada go through this before boarding the plane to the USA.

I'm so stupid, as I never considered a Canadian having to go through immigration to come to America. Of course they do immigration and customs in the "pre clearance". So the only issue of making Canada a POE is the transit visa, I guess. Did anyone on the board every try to use Canada as their POE for their spouse?

Appaullo, that sounds like it should be a good route through Chicago, and more than enough time to get through everything. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

A question about using Newark as POE. There is only an one and a half hour layover between flights. It that enough time to make her way through immigrations and customs and make it to her connecting flight? She would probably be taking Continental from Beijing to Japan to Newark to Hartford.

Thanks,

Gary