How much would it cost to live in China for a 3 months?

How much would it take to live in China for a 3 months? Im talking if you lived like you are Chinese for the most part? I want to spend next summer with Hui in Nanchang if her Visa is not ready yet. Hui has said she can rent a room for us for 500Cny a month and the other costs would be very lowas well.

What do you all think? Would 2-3 thousand USD be ok? Im not talking about turning a place into a americian style apartment like Chengdu4me has has but just being in a place that will let me stay for a extended time with her.

Robert

Edited by RobertH (see edit history)

Depends on what you're wanting to do. Jingjing and I do not live extravagantly, but we also take time to enjoy a date night or something like that.

For the last two months our total for expenses (including, rent, water, natural gas, electricity) came to:

AUG: 311.57 USD

Water: 2.34 USD

Elec: 89.60 USD

Rent: 219.65 USD

JUL: 305.10 USD

Expenses were similar to AUG

JUN: 261.28 USD

Weather was mild, so we didn't use the AC as much. These figures simply give you an idea of the utilities and rent. I'm sure while you're in China you'll want to eat, so you also will have to allot for food, but usually you can do that fairly cheaply, as I'm sure you already know.

Visas, will be another expense, and well as phone communication. Jingjing and I may spend 100 RMB a month each on our mobile phones. That comes to about 30 bucks extra each month.

I hope this gives you an idea. Jingjing and I live in Wuhan, which is a city more mainland, and less developed than the coastal international cities like Guangzhou, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. Cost-of-living in Wuhan is cheaper than these cities. I actually don't think you'll be too far from Wuhan. If we're still here, we'll have to plan for a meeting!

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Depends on what you're wanting to do. Jingjing and I do not live extravagantly, but we also take time to enjoy a date night or something like that.

For the last two months our total for expenses (including, rent, water, natural gas, electricity) came to:

AUG: 311.57 USD

Water: 2.34 USD

Elec: 89.60 USD

Rent: 219.65 USD

JUL: 305.10 USD

Expenses were similar to AUG

JUN: 261.28 USD

Weather was mild, so we didn't use the AC as much. These figures simply give you an idea of the utilities and rent. I'm sure while you're in China you'll want to eat, so you also will have to allot for food, but usually you can do that fairly cheaply, as I'm sure you already know.

Visas, will be another expense, and well as phone communication. Jingjing and I may spend 100 RMB a month each on our mobile phones. That comes to about 30 bucks extra each month.

I hope this gives you an idea. Jingjing and I live in Wuhan, which is a city more mainland, and less developed than the coastal international cities like Guangzhou, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. Cost-of-living in Wuhan is cheaper than these cities. I actually don't think you'll be too far from Wuhan. If we're still here, we'll have to plan for a meeting!

We will be in Nanchang is that close to you? Do you teach english there?

If so can I pick your brain about it?

Robert

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ur8ro1.jpg

Jingjing and I live in Wuhan. I used to teach English my first three years in China. From July 2007 to present, I've been studying Chinese full-time at a language school.

If Jingjing and I are still in China, we'd love to hang out. Sure you can pick our brains. I have to be honest, depending on when she gets her GC, we will only have a limited amount of time before we have to move to the States. We're still not certain if we're going to wait out the entire 6 month entry allotment.

Here is somewhat of a saying i heard: "if you can't live off of 1000 RMB a month in china then your not chinese".

Of course the specific mention of an amount is not the point, it's just a reference to a small amount; the point is, chinese can live off almost nothing. A western guy needs his currency exchange and a $1000 USD is lavish in comparison.

But add in other 'differential' needs as well:

what you think is needed and the fact that everyone will want to see you and eat out and you'll get the munchies for KFC (which seems more expensive in china than the US)...

If you can't make it off $2000-$3000 for 3 months... your truly american :D

At least summer avoids most of the major holidays.. just watch the return to school period in late aug which really altered some plans I was trying to make while in china just to get back to a city

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ur8ro1.jpg

Jingjing and I live in Wuhan. I used to teach English my first three years in China. From July 2007 to present, I've been studying Chinese full-time at a language school.

If Jingjing and I are still in China, we'd love to hang out. Sure you can pick our brains. I have to be honest, depending on when she gets her GC, we will only have a limited amount of time before we have to move to the States. We're still not certain if we're going to wait out the entire 6 month entry allotment.

Would be interesting to see that map with a little pin mark where every CFL person either lives or their SO lives. Another map of the USA with the same thing. Someone more creative then me, get on that please :rolleyes:

Would be interesting to see that map with a little pin mark where every CFL person either lives or their SO lives. Another map of the USA with the same thing. Someone more creative then me, get on that please :rolleyes:

Someone did a survey once, I believe it was skewed towards the Guangdong province.

Edited by Batmaniac (see edit history)

Would be interesting to see that map with a little pin mark where every CFL person either lives or their SO lives. Another map of the USA with the same thing. Someone more creative then me, get on that please

Yeah, it would be cool, but with over 4000 members, it would be an enormous task for one person to compile all of the information and make it presentable. As for me, I'm content in using the Contact List forum to find people who live close to us.

I was just in Nanning for 3 months(June-Aug.), so I might be able to help. I think $3,000 would be enough, but it depends on how you live and if you do any other traveling. I went there with $4,000, and didn't have any left by the time I came home. HOWEVER.....we also made a week long trip to Beijing(that's where a huge chunk of the money went to). We also went to Guilin, Yangshuo, and Zhuzhou. We lived together in a modest apartment in Nanning for about $200/month plus about $75-100 for utilities/month. Most days we ate at home, but we went out at least 2 days a week. Oh...and we also got married when I was there, and I paid for it, so that was another chunk of money I spent.

I can't guarantee that $3,000 would be enough, but if you lived modestly and didn't do any side traveling, I think you would be ok. But remember.....it is a good idea to have as much as possible because you never know what may come up to make it necessary to spend money outside of your established budget(IMHO). :)

The biggest question is how close to a chinese lifestyle do you want to live. 25 cents for a bus or $10.00 for a taxi. Four day train trip to Beijing on" hard seats" or a $200. airline ticket. $20 Hotel room or $100/night.

I found this book very helpfull

http://www.amazon.com/China-Country-Guide-...0768&sr=1-1

lonely planet china

It has saved me a great deal of money while in china. Many times traveling to a strange city your partner knows as much as you do about that city. It is really worth the money.