Has anybody obtained a visa for the adult son or daughter?

Hello,

Has anybody here, recently or not, had experience with applying for and receiving a visa for the adult son or daughter that was left in China when your spouse came over?

We have sent in the application a good long time ago. I remember being told or reading somewhere that it can realistically take as much as 15 years to get this type of visa. Does anybody have any experience with this procedure and can give me some actual timelines?

Thanks,

m-coon

More like 8-9 years, Un-married children older than age 21 are F2B priority class, and acording to the current bulletin NVC is issuing visa numbers for cases filed Aug 2001.

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES

Second: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent

Residents: 114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family preference level exceeds 226,000, and any unused first preference numbers:

A. Spouses and Children: 77% of the overall second preference limitation,

of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;

B. Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

Family 2B China 22AUG01

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_4575.html

The petition will remain in cold storage at USCIS until close to the time visa numbers are coming up for the son/daughter. So don't expect much from USCIS for at least 7.5-8 years after filing.

USCIS is currently processing I-130 for son/daughter of LPR over 21 filed July 2002.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplay.do

Another caveat is son/daughter cannot marry, if they do this invalidates the pending petition.

Another caveat is son/daughter cannot marry, if they do this invalidates the pending petition.

Not entirely true - if the petitioner becomes a citizen, the petition is upgraded to adult child of an American citizen. In this category, the beneficiary CAN marry.

The petition then moves much quicker - a total of around 4 to 5 years from the date of filing.

By "adult" here, we are referring to someone over the age of 21.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

We filed for my wife's son about a year ago. Current processing time is about 5 years. I'm curious though, should our son marry, what about his spouse and children?

Your wife is a citizen - hence the 5 year wait.

The son may petition for his wife and children as soon as he becomes an LPR. There are no restrictions on his marital status, since his mother is a citizen.

We filed for my wife's son about a year ago. Current processing time is about 5 years. I'm curious though, should our son marry, what about his spouse and children?

The son may petition for his wife and children as soon as he becomes an LPR. There are no restrictions on his marital status, since his mother is a citizen.

I guess I wasn't clear. I should have said I know that since my wife is a US citizen the wait now is about 5 years. What I was asking is more information on spouse or children the son or daughter.

I guess I wasn't clear. I should have said I know that since my wife is a US citizen the wait now is about 5 years. What I was asking is more information on spouse or children the son or daughter.

Are you still not clear ?? :(