DVD format for family video to play while in china

My fiance wants me to bring some DVD video to play at our Chinese (pre- wedding) party/reception because our wedding will be state side.

Any way, she would like me to bring some DVD or video of my family members to play for her family at our reception.

I may be confused, but I believe that the DVD formats are different between the USA and China.

IF my family members use their camcorder to make the DVD or video, will it play on a DVD player in China?

Need help and options soon, because if every thing goes right, my Fiance will have her interview on Sept 28, ( long story there) and I intend to go help her move here shortly after that.

Options I am considering.

DVD?, Mpeg? Email website like facebook ect? using flash drives to take with me??

Need help?

Any one know about DVD standards/machines in China vs USA?

It'll work just fine - no problem.

The only difference on commercial DVD's is the region code.

Correct, many DVD players now auto convert PAL-NTSC internally.

As for region codes, Region 0 and 6 play fine on DVD players intended for China, but again many players have been modified to be region free or are this way out of the box.

I sometimes order DVD's intended for the UK (Region 2) and recompile them using DVD Shrink converting them to Region 0, so that I can play the recompiled disk on my home DVD player, my player auto converts PAL to NTSV for my monitor.

a chinese made DVD player will play anything , not like the crap made in other countries.

I have an imported Chinese made DVD Karaoke player, it only plays Region 6 and 0, non of my region 1 NA DVDs will play in it.

Be care full there.

Yeah, I've had no issues playing my American DVD's on a Chinese DVD player.

I did have a older Chinese DVD player a few years ago, that was a bit stubborn. I had to do some searching, but I was able to find a side shop that could hack it and make my DVD player region free.

Some basic information about hacking your DVD player

Unlocking your DVD player for the purpose of watching legitimately bought movies, is perfectly legal as it is your DVD player. However, I cannot say the same thing, if you unlock your DVD player with the intention of watching a bunch of pirated movies. I just figured I better throw that out there.

On the other side of things:

Jingjing and I made a DVD of our wedding/reception (2006), and sent several copies to family and friends (in America) who couldn't attend. Several of them stated they were unable to view it. It seems to me that America DVD players have more regional restrictions than those in China. I'm not certain if you're planning on recording your reception, but as for me, I wish I knew this bit of information before sending out our wedding DVD. Thankfully, the guy who recorded our wedding also gave us the mini DV tapes so we could transfer them to DVD once we return to America.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Region 0 means region free (can be played on any player), region 1 is the US, Region 6 is China and Hong Kong.

As has been pointed out, the Chinese producers tend to code their DVD's for Region 0 (region free), but Hong Kong tends to use the Region 6 coding, making them unplayable on any unhacked Region 1 US player.

There is no reason whatsoever for a wedding DVD to have any region coding. I'm sure it was an oversight, or simply using the defaults on the encoding software.

The Region encoding is for commercial DVD's with copyrighted material.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

There is no reason whatsoever for a wedding DVD to have any region coding. I'm sure it was an oversight, or simply using the defaults on the encoding software.

I agree that there shouldn't be any problems, but in my case, unfortunately there were issues. I had a friend who likewise was married in Wuhan, and the same thing happened to him. I tend to agree with you Randy, that most likely it was an issue with the encoding software and for most folks, they won't have any problems. I found it somewhat humorous though, that in a country known for having a lot questionable media, the only thing they region lock is my wedding! :offtopic:

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Of coarse, I plan on doing both:

1: having my family make some video that I can take to China to show her family about my family, ( to wish us the happy wedding also)

2: To make some video recording while I'm in China of her family and our party, to show to my family in America ( and later to our children also, when we have them)

Although my Fiance currently lives in GZ, here family lives in Hengyang countryside, so maybe the technology there isn't as current as in GZ (I don't know)

But I am assuming from what you all are telling me, if I have my family make those DVD's using Region 0 - then it would work fine everywhere?

And it should be PAL ???

is this easy to do? unfortunately I live in a extremely small community, with very limited resources, but I hope my family, who will have to make some of the video can get it right for me.

I found it somewhat humorous though, that in a country known for having a lot questionable media, the only thing they region lock is my wedding! :D

HA!! Our wedding video was not region locked. Most DVD's I bought in China worked on my home DVD player. I wached a couple DVD's with my wife I had brought to China (the old Mission Impossible TV show season 1 for example), and they worked. I did know however, that Yin had a newer DVD player (it supported both PAL and NTSC and was region free), so I guess your experience could be hit or miss. Maybe as a suggestion is you could bring a portable DVD player or laptop computer with you and just output the video to the TV (tv's also seem to switch between NTSC and PAL signals).