Flying EAST to china (not west)

Does anybody here have any experience with flying to China going EAST instead of West???

I have found some tickets with Air France that are reasonable and the flights seem to be pretty nice. Plus - we will get to see Paris for a few hours.

Thanks,

Scott

There's actually not a whole lot of difference. The United flight from Chicago goes west (to the left of the pole). The Continental flight from Newark goes east (to the right of the pole), I would expect the Air France flight is just a little further east.

Does anybody here have any experience with flying to China going EAST instead of West???

I have found some tickets with Air France that are reasonable and the flights seem to be pretty nice. Plus - we will get to see Paris for a few hours.

Thanks,

Scott

What is the route, and how long does it take? I've always flown over the pole into Beijing.

Thanks,

Scott

What is the route, and how long does it take? I've always flown over the pole into Beijing.

It is Atlanata to Paris...... then onto Guangzhou.

Looks like Paris is more than a little bit out of your way, but you'll get some frequent flier miles!

Nothing like a good picture to put something into perspective, good one Randy

The Continental flight from Newark goes east (to the right of the pole)

The first time I flew to China the path was very close to directly over the pole, another time returning home we flew much further south, over the Bering Strait and thru Alaska. So maybe weather and other factors determine which route they take.

Looks like Paris is more than a little bit out of your way, but you'll get some frequent flier miles!

The first time I flew to China the path was very close to directly over the pole, another time returning home we flew much further south, over the Bering Strait and thru Alaska. So maybe weather and other factors determine which route they take.

No, I think they always fly over the Bering Strait on the way back to take advantage of the jet streams.

No, I think they always fly over the Bering Strait on the way back to take advantage of the jet streams.

Randy I have had our pilot tell us the same thing. By using the jet stream we saved 1 1/2 hours once on a strong jet stream and a lot of jet fuel but when we got to O'Hare they would not let us land for 1 hour. We had to circle and circle and circle. I was guessing to burn up some of the extra jet fuel I don't know.

If it is not much more expensive I might consider that too. I never checked into it. Another if. If it was not to much more flying time I get pretty tired now going the old way.

Larry

Can someone please give me some examples of airlines that fly east. I assume flights leaving New York or Newark, NJ fly east - but this I am not really sure about.

I would think it should be cheaper for me - i live on the east coast - to fly east - but I am not finding ticket prices this way.

What carrier flies directly east to China from US east coast? And what cities do they depart from? Is ATL included?

Thanks

Scott

Can someone please give me some examples of airlines that fly east. I assume flights leaving New York or Newark, NJ fly east - but this I am not really sure about.

I would think it should be cheaper for me - i live on the east coast - to fly east - but I am not finding ticket prices this way.

What carrier flies directly east to China from US east coast? And what cities do they depart from? Is ATL included?

Thanks

Scott

I live on the east coast too and have always flown west to Chicago and then on to China.

The other "East Coast" city with service to China is Washington DC, direct flight from there to Beijing, over the poll.

There are direct flights from NYC to Beijing and Shanghai.

The Continental flight from Newark to Beijing flies to the right of the North Pole. This is a shot I took of the sunset there (Sept 21)

gallery_1846_107_45861.jpg

The in-flight map they displayed actually showed the plane turning right at Greenland and flying to the North of Siberia (in other words, traveling east).

There is not a whole lot of difference between flying west (from Chicago) and flying east (from Newark) - they both fly pretty close to the pole. See my map above.

If you want to fly across Europe and Asia, you will need to go through an intermediate destination in Europe or Asia. The airlines pretty much follow the shortest (Great Circle) routes.

Going "directly east" adds a LOT of distance to the flight - it would be MUCH more expensive.

The flights going "west" do not fly directly west - they fly closer to the Bering Strait or North Pole to follow the shortest (Great Circle) route

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The Continental flight from Newark to Beijing flies to the right of the North Pole. This is a shot I took of the sunset there (Sept 21)

gallery_1846_107_45861.jpg

The in-flight map they displayed actually showed the plane turning right at Greenland and flying to the North of Siberia (in other words, traveling east).

There is not a whole lot of difference between flying west (from Chicago) and flying east (from Newark) - they both fly pretty close to the pole. See my map above.

The flights going "west" do not fly directly west - they fly closer to the Bering Strait or North Pole to follow the shortest (Great Circle) route

I never knew this........ very interesting!!!

Scott