Chinese cell phones

I have another dumb question,do Chinese cell phones need to be unlocked like American phones (to be used with a different carrier).also i know most american cell phones only work on one band,unless you get a tri band cell.but i heard the chinese cell phones are multi band(can work in different countries).I ask because my wife has a really nice cell phone,and she wants me to just exchange the SIMS card,but i am not sure it will work.

Jimi

I have another dumb question,do Chinese cell phones need to be unlocked like American phones (to be used with a different carrier).also i know most american cell phones only work on one band,unless you get a tri band cell.but i heard the chinese cell phones are multi band(can work in different countries).I ask because my wife has a really nice cell phone,and she wants me to just exchange the SIMS card,but i am not sure it will work.

Jimi

No - they are not locked to a specific carrier and can be used here with AT&T and T-Mobile SIM's

Jimi

Like Randy said.

No - they are not locked to a specific carrier and can be used here with AT&T and T-Mobile SIM's

My wife also has a very nice Chinese cell phone she brought with her from China.

She now has the same phone on T-Moblie. Works great.

Ya just need to change the SIM card.

So can you get just the sim card or do yo uhave to get another phone and take the sim out? I am on at&t

Jimi

Like Randy said.

My wife also has a very nice Chinese cell phone she brought with her from China.

So can you get just the sim card or do yo uhave to get another phone and take the sim out? I am on at&t

Jimi

Like Randy said.

If you live near a t-mobile dealer, you can get the card there...for us it would've been about an hour and a half drive, so we just bought the cheapest phones they had at walmart just to get the sim cards....wasn't really much more than if you went to t-mobile to get them yourself

This is not 100%. Not all Chinese cell phones will work here. I have some that do and some that dont. There are several variables that come into play.

maybe because your phones are not tri-bands.

the variables are tri-bands, gsm and unlocked.

Yep. Actually most if not all GSM phones sold through US carriers nowadays are quad-band, covering GSM-850 and GSM-1900 used in most countries in Americas, and GSM-900 and GSM-1800 used everywhere else, I think those sold in China are similar as well.

Edited by SleepyGuy (see edit history)