The Economy is Fine

yemmie

Hi Everyone,

You can all stop worrying. The American economy is fine, solid, prosperous. Don't believe all the media gloom and doom. Don't believe the unemployment figures, the housing data, etc.

I bought a range hood from PACAIR after my wife arrived here. I have been trying since January to find someone who can install it. Many people have come here. Some have vowed that they would call with an estimate in a day or two. All have failed to do so. The all avoid me like the plague, not answering their phones, not returning my calls. My wife thinks America is ridiculous because, in her mind, it couild easily be done in China. (I wonder if she is right.) Admittedly, it will not be an easy installation. I live in a ground floor only condo on a concrete slab, with a neighbor living upstairs. The kitchen is all interior (no exterior walls), but we are reconciled to the fact that we will have to install the ductwork below the ceiling, running it through the divide between the dining area and the living/family room area (a length of about 26 feet) and still no one will do the job. I would do it myself, but I am not a licensed contractor, so I can't get the required license and I need approval from the condo board. Also, my back was ruined by my work so I can't do that kind of stuff anymore anyway. In fact, that is why I bought a condo in the first place.

So, now we will be buying a gas grill and doing most of our cooking outside year round until and unless we sell our home and move to some place that was not designed by idiots. :crazy: :Dah: :vava: :headbang: :redmad: :surrender: :censor: :ranting:

She's probably right.

I bought an air conditioner for our residence in China. It is a typical unit with the condensing unit mounted on the outside wall. This required some heavy labor and some precarious work (we have a 'condo' in a high rise): It was done the same day I purchased the unit.

It seems like running a duct through a room and then to outside would be fairly easy. Maybe the contractors are afraid of the building inspectors. (Dunno, just conjecture.)

If'n it was me (and I DID do my pacair if you remember) I wouldn't want the exposed venting because of the grease leakage.

The ducts have joint, and because it is exhaust vent, no one seals the joints. With a cooking vent, hot oil smoke IS going to accumulate over time. Before long, that long vent will leak grease on your floor along its path.

If your in Texas, I'd be glad to stop by and help you brainstorm ideas, but I think the outdoor grill may be the answer. Get a big propane cooker, and your wife will be happy :unsure:

Check your building regulations - as long as any horizontal section is not more than 150 mm, and you don't have more than four 45 degree bends (none greater than that), it wouldn't be a problem

http://books.google.com/books?id=ra7iZey-m...;q=&f=false

That makes sense and may be the reason that a contractor wont touch it.

Hopefully your wife is right!! :huh: :D :D

With Obama's policy of supporting abortion, many people who are not going to be responsible for their going-to-be-born children will do the abortion which will decrease the social financial pressure. Many high charactered people consider about the society when they think of giving birth to children so they try to give birth to high qualitied new generations. Whereas, some low charactered people consider little about the society and the humanly environment that we are going to be in, and just give birth to as many kids, with a I-Dont-Care attitude. Some of those kids know to improve themselves even though they grow up in a bad environment with bad family education, but many of them just turn to be as bad or worse than their older generations in many aspects. I think this policy will help improve the quality of population in a long road, hence will help all the aspects of the society.

My friend in Chicago who works in library says they don't feel any economy up or down since none of them is laid off except they want to leave by themselves. Hopefully we can all find a satisfactory job in the immediate future.

So, let's pray God Bless America. :blink: