California Drivers Beware

pkfops

After two years of "I know how to drive" and "the car's not working right". The wife passed her driving exam on the first try. Only four points taken off (94%).

The key?

Get a chinese driving instructor.

I will share one moment.

While on a trip from SF to VC BC crusing I5.

Wife was driving and we came upon a rig doing about 62 (limit was 70).

I said, "OK time to pass this truck. Left signal on, check the mirrors, look back to the left and change lanes when clear. Lane change completed successfully and as I looked back there were about ten cars stacking up. I looked at the speedometer and it said 40. The truck we were going to pass was now 1/2 a mile ahead. I said gas, gas gas. She said I'm trying but it's the car's fault. :D

Am I safe?

My insurance co wants $1400 per year for the next 18 months.

$2100.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife got the DL in the mail this week.

She won't carry it with her because her Ca ID card doesn't expire until 2012.

I guess she want's to get her moneys worth. :yahoo:

Isn't the DL also a state ID? :clapping: :D :lol:

Kind of like carrying an EAD card after getting green-card. :yahoo:

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I guess she want's to get her moneys worth. :lol:

Quick question or 2 - wasn't it a requirement to surrender the CA ID card when they issued a CA DL? Also - did she have to surrender her Chinese DL? I notice that Hawaii wants both - as China was a signator on the 1949 UN Driving Pact.

Mike

I guess she want's to get her moneys worth. :blink:

Quick question or 2 - wasn't it a requirement to surrender the CA ID card when they issued a CA DL? Also - did she have to surrender her Chinese DL? I notice that Hawaii wants both - as China was a signator on the 1949 UN Driving Pact.

Mike

I told my wife not to tell them she had a Chinese driver's licence because they will ask for it. There is no difference in testing whether you have the foriegn licence or not. So in my opinion it's none of there business. It's a foriegn government document. She needs it in China to drive when she visits. So hush hush.

The last time, Jingjing and I visited America, I took her to a Wal-Mart parking lot (after hours) and let her drive around. I told her to imagine that the white parking lines were people, and that she should try to avoid them. If the lines were actual people, around 10 or 12 would have been seriously injured or killed. :blink:

Congrats to your wife!