NEW K1 APPLICANT W/ MANY QUESTIONS?!

hello,

I've spent quite a bit of time reading topics on this board since I've never done this before. With all the sites I've looked at and the information on this board. I'm still not all to knowledgable on this.

Im doing the K1 process, just got back from china where I met my Fiancee. Im gonna send out form G-325A to her on Mon. Is there anything that I should have her send back when she sends the completed 325 form to make future paperwork easier? And what is the quickets way to get it to her from your experiences? FedEx?

Im kinda confused on the acronyms used on the timeslines:

--- K1 ---

Petition Mailed:

NOA1:

NOA2:

Forwarded to NVC:

Approved by NVC:

Arrived at Consulate:

Packet 3:

Packet 4:

Interview:

Arrival:

LIke noa, packet3, nvc, etc...what forms are involved in each? So I can get a head start on things. Read a little about FORM 134 that my Fiancee has to fill out. Are these forms gonna be in chinese for her? If not I like to get them all together ahead of time and make a copy with directions written in chinese for her.

If someone could explain to me what forms are involved in each process in the timeline. I've read through too many websites and now i'm a little confused. I dont want to make a little mistake and have all that time wasted when something has to get sent back to me.

I've known my Fiancee for a total of a week, we met through a match maker. I wasn't expecting to get engaged to fast, since the trip was to meet some girls and do some sight-seeing. But how things can change when you meet someone that fills the void in your heart.

Im Chinese-American, born and raised here in the states. I can speak fluent canotnese but cannot write it. I decided to seek this route to continue family traditions and also being the only grandson to my Grandpa. I want less time sperated from my Fiancee as possible, since we only had a week to barely scratch the surface. Im 25 years old just finished college unable to seek work in the field of my study. I can't afford to go back and see her in between like others on here. Im saving up for the next big trip when she gets approved to come here.

Any informations/tips/suggestions/idea's will greatly appreciated.

Reading topics on cases taking up year and half hasn't help while trying to figure out all this paperwork. How a week of happiness meeting your other half could only follow with a year of misery waiting...

:(

- CONFUSEDnIDAHO

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to this group. There are many here who can help you. First of all you need to concentrate on the I-129F petition for fiance visa and the G-325A Biographic data. Both forms are available in PDF fillable format. Your fiance'e will need to get a translated notarized birth certificate as well as the notarized Chinese one. If she has been previously married she will also need translated divorce decree or death certificate if she a widow. You both need to write out a statement saying you intend to marry. Save all of your plane ticket boarding passes, receipts for hotels, sight seeing trips, engagement ring reciept, lots of photos particularly ones of you with her and her family. Any information asked for on the forms that won't fit make an addendum that is clear concise and easy to follow. Neatness matters. Put it all together in a two hole clip type binder where the holes are at the top. Write a cover letter and an index making it easy to find what they are looking for. I am sure I am leaving something out but someone else here will catch it. The bad new is living in Idaho you will have to file through the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) which is the slowest. I just receieved my NOA-2 (notice of action) yesterday from NSC after waiting 187 days. I am looking at probably 6 or more months more before completion.

What part of Idaho do you live in? I was born and raised there. I went to high school in Nampa and lived in Cambridge and Boise for years. Good luck

Carl

Thanks Carl for the information. I'll focus on 129 and 325 forms getting those together correctly to mail out.

Are there any other things that I should for my Fiancee's to fill out on her 325 form?

Do you know if fedex is the best bet on getting something there the fastest? I want to get the 325 form to her as soon as i can.

Figures, Nebraska is the slowest another unwanted plus of living in idaho.

I live in Nampa, graduated high school from vallivue.

Good luck on your journey as 6 months or less nears for you!

-CONF.nIDAHO

Welcome ahhming888m,

I hope you find the support of others that you find here to be useful.

Yes,

It took a few weeks for me to discover all of the Jargon on the Candle when I joined. It seemed as if everyone just assumed that everything was self evident.

--- K1 --- Fiancée Visa Application (K3 for Spouse)

Petition Mailed: Date you mailed your I129F and G325A and other information.

NOA1: Date when you received the official confirmation that your packet has arrived. Usually this is within a week (so some people use it as the official start date). Other times there is a delay as long as a month so some people list the date mailed and NOA1 seperately.

NOA2: When your application is finished at BCIS / USCIS you will receive a notice in the mail that it has been forwarded to NVC. Some centers like Vermont (VSC) take 1-2 months to process the application. Other centers take longer. I presume Idaho will send applications to Nebraska (NSC) which often takes around 6 months for the initial processing. Texas (TSC) is similar to Nebraska.

Forwarded to NVC: Same as NOA2 (above). The day the application left BCIS and was transferred to NVC.

Approved by NVC: This is the date that the NVC approves your application. According to BCIS, they should send a confirmation letter, but most people do not receive it. It normally takes between 1 and 4 months for this phase of processing. I believe this is where the FBI namecheck occurs, although I have seen others that have noted that it occurred at other times. The NVC refuses to give you an "official" processing timeline.

Arrived at Consulate: The packet is then mailed to China. It usually takes a couple of days to get to China, then it goes through customs….. It can take from 1 day to 2 months to clear customs… (usually short, but don't be surprised if there is a lengthy delay

Packet 3: This will be mailed from the Embassy to your Fiancée…… This is the first thing you will have to mail back to the Embassy after the initial application. It consists of form OF-169, and generally includes information that you will have to gather for your interview including police reports for your fiancée, your own tax records, and an affidavit of support. You just have to reply to the Embassy with a confirmation of receiving this packet. It takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 or more months for the Embassy to send this information packet out (a recent topic of discussion on the Candle).

Packet 4: I believe this has the invitation for an interview…. I am less clear on what else is included in this packet.

Interview: Day your fiancée presents the police records and etc to the embassy and takes the interview.

Visa received: Usually the same day or the day after the interview. However, occasionally there have been significant delays….. A year ago the Embassy did interviews for a couple of months, but did not issue any visas. It took them many months to finish sending out all of the visas (named the Black Hole group).

Arrival: Of course, this is what we are all waiting for.

The total time between sending in the I-129F and receiving the visa can be as short as 7 months or so. However, most people seem to be taking about 1 year, or just over a year.

----- Clifford -----

Welcome to this group.  There are many here who can help you.  First of all you need to concentrate on the I-129F petition for fiance visa and the G-325A Biographic data.  Both forms are available in PDF fillable format.  Your fiance'e will need to get a translated  notarized birth certificate as well as the notarized Chinese one.  If she has been previously married she will also need translated divorce decree or death certificate if she a widow.  You both need to write out  a statement saying you intend to marry.  Save all of your plane ticket boarding passes, receipts for hotels, sight seeing trips, engagement ring reciept, lots of photos particularly ones of you with her and her family.  Any information asked for on the forms that won't fit make an addendum that is clear concise and easy to follow.  Neatness matters.  Put it all together in a two hole clip type binder where the holes are at the top. Write a cover letter and an index  making it easy to find what they are looking for.  I am sure I am leaving something out but someone else here will catch it.  The bad new is living in  Idaho you will have to file through the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) which is the slowest.  I just receieved my NOA-2 (notice of action) yesterday from NSC after waiting 187 days.  I am looking at probably 6 or more months more before completion.  

What part of Idaho do you live in? I was born and raised there. I went to high school in Nampa and lived in Cambridge and Boise for years.  Good luck

Carl

Hey Carl....

You're sounding like a CFL veteran now! A real pro! I remember when you were a "rookie" asking the same good questions. That's what I've enjoyed so much about this forum. As people learn from others and their own experiences, they pass it on to the next group of petitioners. Before you know it, ahhming888 will be taking his knowledge and experience and passing it on to the next group. Honestly, now that it's over, it's all a blur. I don't trust my memory to offer advice anymore about the early stages...especially since so much has changed. Since you're still deep in the throws of getting the visa -- especially after all you've been through -- you are in the prime position to offer support and advice. Don, Tywy 99, and I are best suited now to talk about P4/interview issues. And trust me...when I start AOS, I know I'll turn to the CFL masters for guidance. When you get your K visa, I'll be better suited to help you with AOS. Ah...the Circle of CFL.

Gee...scary...no taste of Vegas in this one, eh? I'm a bit surprised myself. Maybe it's all that Sichuan cooking that's clearing my head.....

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-039.gif

lol Im not too sure about the veteran part Dave. Not enough blue thingies. After six months waiting on NOA 2 Im having to scratch my head to remember everything I did. Must have dont it right though I didn't get any RFEs.

Ah Ming She can probably download the forms as easy as you can, or you can fill them out and email them to her to sign. Only issue I can see with that is I think the paper size is different in China. Others can probably help you better with that. I haven't sent many things to China so far but I have had good luck with the Post office. Last package I sent only took a week to get there using Global Priority. She will need to sign them in English and write her name in Chinese below that. I still have mine in my comp files so if you need help with it I'll PM you my phone number and you can call me. Us Spuds have to stick together lol. Dave you're supposed to still be lost in marital bliss or making us some more clever emoticons. Hmmmm how about one picking his nose?

Carl

Thanks Carl for the information.  I'll focus on 129 and 325 forms getting those together correctly to mail out. 

Are there any other things that I should for my Fiancee's to fill out on her 325 form? 

Do you know if fedex is the best bet on getting something there the fastest?  I want to get the 325 form to her as soon as i can.

Figures, Nebraska is the slowest another unwanted plus of living in idaho.

I live in Nampa, graduated high school from vallivue.

Good luck on your journey as 6 months or less nears for you!

-CONF.nIDAHO

She will need dates of birth for her parents as well as her ex husband if she was previously married. I didn't catch where she lives in China. Perhaps someone else can help her find a translation service that specializes in the documents. I know there is one in Nanning. Bing had it done. You will also need adit photos posed a certain way and a certain size. 2 of you and 2 of her. Some where I have the specs but again there are services available in China where they are used to doing them.

Carl

Dave you're supposed to still be lost in marital bliss or making us some more clever emoticons.  Hmmmm how about one picking his nose?

Carl

Gee....somehow 10 year old kids can wear out 5 month pregnant fiancees. She's crashed and he's testing "diddy." Finally got him to bed. Using the freetime to catch up.

Oh...e-icons on demand? Your wish is my desire............

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/grinser/grinning-smiley-010.gif

She will need dates of birth for her parents as well as her ex husband if she was previously married.  I didn't catch where she lives in China.  Perhaps someone else can help her find a translation service that specializes in the documents.  I know there is one in Nanning.  Bing had it done.  You will also need adit photos posed a certain way and a certain size.  2 of you and 2 of her.  Some where I have the specs but again there are services available in China where they are used to doing them. 

Carl

Yes, the INS is very specific about photos:

3/4 Frontal View showing the right ear, and the face being 1" high. (I think). I am pretty sure they also required a white background.

All of this is described in the Instructions for the I-129F. Read those carefully.

I am bringing up one of the previous discussions of the initial packet back up to the top for your viewing.

----- Clifford -----

You guys are great, I'll have to slowly review all the info. you have giving me tommorw. Its like 3am here, gonna call the Fiancee and hit the sack.

"CARL"

In your first response to me in this post you stated that I need a "Your fiance'e will need to get a translated notarized birth certificate as well as the notarized Chinese one."

I couldnt find any info on this after looking at both instructions for form 325 and 129. Do I need it to with this package? Or is it for a future paperwork?

if i have any ? i'll ring ya up...thanks

And thanks to eveyrone else that has reponded, Im glad I stumbbled upon this site.

-dan :rolleyes:

Welcome to Candle. This is a great place to be for both support and information. Things have been covered pretty well in the above, so I only have one thing to add. Make sure that your fiance includes here Chinese address on the form, written in Chinese characters. There is a place that asks for this. Do not omit it! Once the petition finally makes it to GZ, they will insist on having the address in Chinese characters. If you don't include it this will cause a delay.

Do you know if fedex is the best bet on getting something there the fastest?  I want to get the 325 form to her as soon as i can.

FedEx has been my best friend through all of this.. Its a little more expensive than USPS, but a three-day delivery and the fact that a FedEx employee handles it all the way to her doorstep are very nice things.

I live in the upstate, South Carolina.. It costs her around $30 US to send a FedEx letter from ShenZhen, China to here. It costs me about the same to send one to her. I just sent her the Notebook (where I keep all of our documents, e-mail, etc for her interview). That had to go in a FedEx box and weighed around 4 lbs, and cost about $100.00. I mailed it late Friday afternoon and now its in Korea. I expect it to get to ShenZhen tomorrow or the day after.

Good luck with the process. Its not easy, and I'm hoping I get a merit badge when all's said-and-done (though I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get yelled at about how messy my apartment is :)).

In your first response to me in this post you stated that I need a "Your fiance'e will need to get a translated notarized birth certificate as well as  the notarized Chinese one."

:)

ahhming888

Actually, I think you can take your time on the birth certificates. I sent in a copy of my Fiancee's passport with the I-129F, but I believe that it only asked for a copy of my passport.

Find form OF-169 (there are copies from other countries on the net, but I believe they are all about the same). This discusses birth certificates for your Fiancee which she will have to take to the interview in about a year.

Form OF-169, Requirements to be presented at the interview:

. . . . 2. BIRTH CERTIFICATES: One certified copy of the birth certificate of

. . . . each person named in the application is required. Birth records must

. . . . be presented for all unmarried childern under age 21, even if they do

. . . . not wish to immigrate at this time. (If children are deceased, so state

. . . . giving year of death.) The certificate must state the date and place of

. . . . birth and the name of both parents. The certificate must also indicate

. . . . that it is an extract from official records. If you, or any children were

. . . . adopted, you must submit a certified copy of the final adoption

. . . . decree. Photostatic copies are accepted provided the original is

. . . . offered for inspection by the consular officer.

There is no mention of a translated copy, although it may not be a bad idea. You must have an original / notarized copy, but the copy that is given to the INS may be a photo copy of it.

I am not quite sure where these instructions came from. Perhaps China has modified them slightly due to language differences.

But, you do have a year or so to come up with the birth certificiate for your fiancee.

Of course, you will need to send either your birth certificate, or a copy of your passport.

----- Clifford ------

I only have one thing to add. Make sure that your fiance includes here Chinese address on the form, written in Chinese characters. There is a place that asks for this. Do not omit it! Once the petition finally makes it to GZ, they will insist on having the address in Chinese characters. If you don't include it this will cause a delay.

Whoa,

Wait a second.

That makes LOTS of sense. In fact, if I could redesign the forms, I would insist on it.

But, I can only remember seeing where it asked for the applicant's name in the native alphabet, and not the address. I ceratainly didn't include her address in Cyrillic...... Of course, my application is stuck in "Administrative Processing".

Where did you put the address in Chinese?

----- Clifford -----