Coming back from china at O'hare

My wife is leaving for a visit to China and coming back in January

I'm worried about her trip back in January when she comes through the international terminal at O'hare

I am meeting her in chicago and then we will both catch the same plane back to LR

What I want to know is if I can get in terminal 5(international arrivals) and wait for her when she picks up baggage ?

Anybody have clue on this ?

You will not be alowed to enter the baggage area, your wife will need to claim her bags and pass through customs, before you will see her. The luggage carts are free in the international terminal, that is the only good news I can give you. Most of the workers are very nice and polite, and they are usually very quick. I have never had to connect to another flight, so I can't help with that. If there is nothing declared on the customs form, many are passed through without inspection, and they are mainly looking for contraband. We had 12 KG of tea and a few other things, and there were no questions asked. Good Luck, and don't worry, Mike and Yizhen

by the way, cell phones don't work in the Immigration/Customs/Baggage area, so you will be waiting in silence. Calls can be placed when you first leave the plane, but once you go down the escalator towards the Immigration/Customs/Baggage, the phone signal drops.

You will not be alowed to enter the baggage area, your wife will need to claim her bags and pass through customs, before you will see her. The luggage carts are free in the international terminal, that is the only good news I can give you. Most of the workers are very nice and polite, and they are usually very quick. I have never had to connect to another flight, so I can't help with that. If there is nothing declared on the customs form, many are passed through without inspection, and they are mainly looking for contraband. We had 12 KG of tea and a few other things, and there were no questions asked. Good Luck, and don't worry, Mike and Yizhen

by the way, cell phones don't work in the Immigration/Customs/Baggage area, so you will be waiting in silence. Calls can be placed when you first leave the plane, but once you go down the escalator towards the Immigration/Customs/Baggage, the phone signal drops.

What about when she leaves for China, will I be able to accompany her to her chicagoe to China connection, we will both arrive from Little Rock then she will catch a plnae to china and I will spend the night

I am sorry to say that you will not be allowed past the security checks, without a ticket and boarding pass for an International flight. It is the same as the airports in China when we return home to the US.

You will, be able to go to the International terminal and say good-bye after she has checked in and received her boarding pass. Good Luck, Mike & Yizhen

What about when she leaves for China, will I be able to accompany her to her chicagoe to China connection, we will both arrive from Little Rock then she will catch a plnae to china and I will spend the night

You said you are both "arriving from Little Rock"... but you don't say how you are arriving, by plane or another way?

If your both arriving by plane into Chicago... then I would think you are both now already inside the gate area and can go to any concourse within O'hare. Their international flights are not separated off in anyway.

I just came back through Wash. D.C. for the first time. I've always come back through O'hare. I got all turned around because I didn't go to the "connecting" baggage claim (as opposed to the arriving baggage claim), since I was going on to another city; I could not get back to the other baggage claim and they had to literally request the bags brought over.

I don't recall O'hare does that on arrival; regardless of connecting or arriving, you go to the same baggage claim ! Duh ...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we are both flying into ohare from little rock. So it sounds like i can take her to her gate and her connecting flight when we arrive

I will fly back to lit the next morning.

When she comes back I will aslo fly to chicago and then we will both take the connecting flight back. When she comes back it sounds like I need to wait for her outside the customs area in the internatioanl terminal

Yes IF your flight is on united. Terminals 1 and 2 are connected. All domestic flights arrive and depart in term 1 and 2 for united. And all international flights for united depart in terminal 1 and arrive in terminal 5. But if you are flying on another airline then this may not be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help!

Is there a decent hotel close to ohare not to expensive?

Also one we both are in the gate area after we arrive from little rock and before she gets on the plane to go to china, can we go over to terminal 5 and look around so I can school her a bit on what to do when she comes back in January?

Thanks for the help!

Is there a decent hotel close to ohare not to expensive?

Also one we both are in the gate area after we arrive from little rock and before she gets on the plane to go to china, can we go over to terminal 5 and look around so I can school her a bit on what to do when she comes back in January?

Yes, You can take the train to terminal 5 and look around ( not really much to see ) but you will not be able to go past the TSA security check point. Jeff

• 1 month later...

I'll update this

It worked out really well. We both flew to chicago and landed in terminalk 2. her deaparture flight to Hong kong was also in terminal 2 so it was really good. I could see her get on the plane and take off.

Now I just need to worry about when she comes back. I will fly to chicago the moning she comes back and wait for her at terminal 5 I guess and we can both take the transit bus back over to terminal 2 to fly back to little rock