Additional Processing

I just called NVC to ask about my case. The lady was very polite and said that the file was "Undergoing Additional Processing"......I asked her what that meant and you would think I threatened her...she got very defensive. Anyway, could someone here maybe explain what "Additional Processing" means?

Robert.

This is typical, our case was in NVC for about 30 days a few weeks in "Administrative Review"

Here is what happens at NVC:

At National Visa Center (State Department) stage, a separate independent NCIC database check is done by in-house FBI staff in connection with information supplied in the DS-230. Based on results, NVC has the option to request full fingerprints to be taken at post. NVC checks can usually be completed in 24 hours. In some limited cases involving high-risk visa applicants meeting certain specific criteria, NVC also does Security Advisory Opinions (SOAs) before sending the file to Consular Post.
K-1 and K-3 tends to pass through this fairly quickly since there is no DS-230 filed yet at this stage.

NVC usually starts the Consular stage checks, then send the case on to the consulate while the checks are being done.

At Consular stage, there are three (3) Visa Security name checks done: CONDOR, MANTIS AND MORE ANOTHER NCIC (via CLASS)

[Consulate has option, if warranted, to run full gamut of checks, such as CCD (past visa applications & results), TIPOFF (DOS Bureau of Intelligence), NAILS (Nat'l Automated Immigration Lookout System), TECS II (Treasury Dept. database), TSC & TTIC (DOS Terrorist screening)].

CONDOR refers to a check done mostly of information supplied on Form DS-157, and focuses on visa applicants with a potential terrorist, firearms or weapons background. CONDOR in most cases should be completed in 90 days or less. If not, contact the VO Public Inquiry line at Tel: 202-663-1225 or usvisa@state.gov

MANTIS refers to when potentially sensitive technologies might be used by the visa applicant in her visit to the U.S. If the visa applicant might employ a "critical-fields" technology in the U.S. which could have a "dual-use" such military or national security application, this check will be done to screen out a high-risk applicant. Most MANTIS checks can be done in 30 days. If not, contact the SAO Problem Resolution Unit at saoinquiries@state.gov.

NCIC (via CLASS) refers to the name check procedure done by the Consulate with the NCIC criminal database at FBI. This procedure screens visa applicants by name to see if there is a "hit" with the criminal database: that is, a person in the criminal database has the same or very similar name to the visa applicant.

http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.com/Secu...tiveReview.html
"Undergoing Additional Processing"

For K-1, it should just be a few days. If you look at the timelines at Vj, it's normally two days to a week.

I am always immpressed with the information that you come up with. I was just wondering if it might have to do with the fact that I filed a K-1 in 2003 and maybe they are looking a little closer. I would have thought that they would do that at USCIS though. I am sure all my paperwork is in order........I am just not very trusting when the Government starts looking at things :blink: . I would assume that if there was a problem that they would tell me about it ......or would they just send the papers to GUZ knowing that it would reslt in a white slip?????

I tend to think each part is independent: USCIS, NVC, DOS, GUZ, somehow... I never knew it was so hard to get your loved one to be with you before this process. It's hard enough to find the person you can fall in love with... The wait can be unbearable...

You are really just two days from NVC in, I think you will be NVC out very soon, should be in couple days if not today. Shouldn't worry about it :blink:

as is being said, most K# pass through NVC quickly. Because you are so early in, it's hard to distinguish this as the start of the basic check (in which case it really means nothing) or it's one of the long delayed processing issues.

I've always said it makes no sense to call NVC since it's usually so fast. A best practice is to let each stage go through it's normal time before contacting, otherwise you catch them in the middle and are left not knowing the real meaning of their update.

For NVC, let it go 10-15 days before any contact. Often by this time, you get the letter in the mail and no contact was necessary at all.

Whoever dubbed "patience is a virtue" never went through the visa process... but at least they had a good thought :)