DCF - EOR letter

Although I have returned to America to visit friends and family, I have been living and working in China since AUG 2004. During that time, I developed a relationship with Chinese native, and in Sept 2006, we were married.

This past week, Jingjing and I went to Beijing to submit her I-130, which will be forwarded to Guangzhou. I have been reading a lot of posts saying that we should have a EOR letter, when we go to Guangzhou, for the interview. Although I do not know when the interview will take place, I have begun developing our EOR letter.

Would anyone be willing to review what I have written? I admit, that I do not "know it all" and would probably benefit greatly by those who have already been though it.

On a side note, this site rocks. There is a wealth of information here. Anyway, thanks for reading this. smile.gif

Kyle

EOR comes up if you or your wife had been married before, in cases of short marrige the IO may want to know details of prior marriages and what led to current mariage to determine bona fide relationship.

In your case strong evidence of living together since your marriage should be included with the I-130, they will be more concerned with your three years of marriage so EOR and evidence needs to reflect this rather than before your marriage.

EOR comes up if you or your wife had been married before, in cases of short marrige the IO may want to know details of prior marriages and what led to current mariage to determine bona fide relationship.

In your case strong evidence of living together since your marriage should be included with the I-130, they will be more concerned with your three years of marriage so EOR and evidence needs to reflect this rather than before your marriage.

Since, neither my wife and I were married before, are you saying I do not need an EOR letter? My passport has my past visas/residence permits. Is this enough documentation, or, should I include other documents?

When we submitted the I-130/G325A, we also submitted letters from my family as well as pictures of when my family visited China, as well as Jingjing's pictures when she visited America (three separate occasions).

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Since, neither my wife and I were married before, are you saying I do not need an EOR letter? My passport has my past visas/residence permits. Is this enough documentation, or, should I include other documents?

When we submitted the I-130/G325A, we also submitted letters from my family as well as pictures of when my family visited China, as well as Jingjing's pictures when she visited America (three separate occasions).

I would write one up and have it at the interview, but considering the overwhelming evidence of a solid marriage I highly doubt they will even request an EOR.

One note, of greater concern is US Domicile, since you have been living in China, they will need evidence that you maintained US domicile, which is REQUIRED in-order for you to sponsor an immigrant. No domicile, NO I-864, no I-864, no Visa.

More: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I would write one up and have it at the interview, but considering the overwhelming evidence of a solid marriage I highly doubt they will even request an EOR.

One note, of greater concern is US Domicile, since you have been living in China, they will need evidence that you maintained US domicile, which is REQUIRED in-order for you to sponsor an immigrant. No domicile, NO I-864, no I-864, no Visa.

More: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Man, you're quick! My father is co-sponsoring us. His income exceeds the poverty level by more than 125%. I already have his (and mine) I-864,and I'm just waiting to hear from Guangzhou, letting me know when they want it.

Although, I have tax returns for the past three years, teaching English doesn't bring me above the poverty level in the States. I'll heed your advice and bring an EOR letter.

My wife has been looking at usa.bbs.net, and she mentioned that maybe I should write a letter outlining our plans once we reach America. Has anyone heard of this? I've yet to find any reference of this on CFL.

DCF used to be the most secure thing next to our economy :clapping: I've only see a few bumps in DCF now.

I think I'd go ahead and put in an EOR and focus on how you meet and your life together so far. The only issue may be if the circumstance of how you meet don't sit well with a VO, it's best to disclose that with the petition instead of at the interview.

As to outlining plans once you reach the US... in 4 years, never seen a VO care about that. You can write anything you want to say but it doesn't mean it's going to happen; so why would a VO put stock in it?

I'll say that it's not the VO's responsibility to ask for proof of your relationship - it's your responsibility to show it. The prettier of a picture that you put into your application, the better your chances.

Totally agree on this one!

I realize that I need to show the visa officer proof. The fact that the burden lies with me, goes without saying. As far as a pretty picture is concerned, I'm not certain what you mean by that. On our application, we had to submit some passport style photos. I'm guessing though, you guys are referring to pictures of Jingjing and I with family, etc, right?

As I mentioned earlier, Jingjing and I already submitted about 50 photos which the Beijing embassy took, when they accepted her I-130. We made copies, so I'm sure my wife will bring another book of pictures to her interview. iI did make copies of my past visas/residence permits (I've been living in China since AUG 2004), but the Beijing office didn't take them. They did however, take some letters written by my parents and older brother.

I want to thank all of you for your replies; they were insightful.

I'm going to follow your advice and write up an EOR letter, to take with us during my wife's interview. I'll also focus on finding more photos.

Quick Background: My hubby and I DCFed in January 2008. We met in Japan as students and were already married for a year when we filed.

Our Experience: I had a very simple EOR that was more like an outline of our lives together, kind of like my timeline here but more simple...when we met, when we started dating, moved in together, got married, moved to China, etc.

Long story short, the VO did not even look at the EOR. I believe you have a solid case, especially since you are IR-1. I would agree with others when they say to have it at the interview (we did not turn one in with the initial filing of the I-130 because I did not read all of the information on CFL lol). The VO might or might not look at it, the main reason that I wrote one was to explain that we had met in Japan and used Japanese to communicate, etc. because there was no real way of the VO knowing that other than by someone telling him that.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions about the DCF process. Looks like it's getting faster and faster!

I'll say that it's not the VO's responsibility to ask for proof of your relationship - it's your responsibility to show it. The prettier of a picture that you put into your application, the better your chances.

Totally agree on this one!

I realize that I need to show the visa officer proof. The fact that the burden lies with me, goes without saying. As far as a pretty picture is concerned, I'm not certain what you mean by that. On our application, we had to submit some passport style photos. I'm guessing though, you guys are referring to pictures of Jingjing and I with family, etc, right?

As I mentioned earlier, Jingjing and I already submitted about 50 photos which the Beijing embassy took, when they accepted her I-130. We made copies, so I'm sure my wife will bring another book of pictures to her interview. iI did make copies of my past visas/residence permits (I've been living in China since AUG 2004), but the Beijing office didn't take them. They did however, take some letters written by my parents and older brother.

I want to thank all of you for your replies; they were insightful.

I'm going to follow your advice and write up an EOR letter, to take with us during my wife's interview. I'll also focus on finding more photos.

You seem like you understand more than you admit :blink:

To "paint a picture" is to submit something that will convince the VO that you have a bona fide relationship.

Sometimes doing "enough" is just not enough. They are supposed to go by the "totality of circumstances"

To "paint a picture" is to submit something that will convince the VO that you have a bona fide relationship.

this is the proverbial, "camera-less picture" in words :)

I think people should think of it this way: when you start the process, whatever you think that GUZ will possibly feel is an issue to raise at the interview... you may be best to consider to disclose it in the petition in a relevant, explanatory, and positive light.

I used to call this a 'brownie point' approach but I like Randy's 'painting a picture'.. of course as long as you don't think we imply to bring cookies to the interview or offer to draw a portrait of the VO :P

this is the proverbial, "camera-less picture" in words :)

I think people should think of it this way: when you start the process, whatever you think that GUZ will possibly feel is an issue to raise at the interview... you may be best to consider to disclose it in the petition in a relevant, explanatory, and positive light.

I used to call this a 'brownie point' approach but I like Randy's 'painting a picture'.. of course as long as you don't think we imply to bring cookies to the interview or offer to draw a portrait of the VO :P

Thanks to all. I appreciate your feedback. It's nice to have a community of folks that understand our situation, and that are willing to lend a hand when needed. I understand what you guys are saying, and it makes sense. I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind.

My wife and I have also filed DCF this month via the Beijing office, so good luck to us both. Hopefully, we follow the trend for '09 and things are approved soon.

Cool! Since we're starting around the same time, perhaps we can keep in touch throughout the process. Good luck to you as well.