Any POE suggestions

My wife will be arriving into America by ocean cruise, so her Port Authority will be the Brooklyn, NY port.

Are there any suggestions for things she can due at the POE to make things quicker or easier down the road?

i.e.: a form that can be filled out at the POE that will expedite the green card, work permit or issuance of social security number.

Perhaps she could apply for a job?

Things happen when they happen. Her arrival will trigger the green card to arrive in about 2 to 4 weeks.

She should drop by the SS office after waiting at least 10 days for her records to update to the SS computer (someone recently reported their's hasn't updated after a month)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Nothing to expedite green-card, the officer at the POE will stamp passport I-551, this equals green-card, the passport will serve as a green-card until the actual care arrives in the mail.

You can then give it 2 weeks or so and then visit SSA office and apply for SSN.

The I-551 stamp in passport will allow work and re-entry from trips abroad.

Perhaps she could apply for a job?

She already has one of those lined up. :roller:

I just remember reading something on this site or another site about certain POE's having advantages over other POE's. Where as an immigrant coming through a particular POE could 'check' a certain box on a form or fill out a certain form that would fast-track some aspects of the SS# or green card or work permit.

My memory is fuzzy about the details because at that time we were no where near this point. My memory is fuzzy but I remember it talking about an added advantage of entering through NY POE of NJ POE.

I guess I will search some more to see if I can find the original thread with that info.

Thanks Randy.

Nothing to expedite green-card, the officer at the POE will stamp passport I-551, this equals green-card, the passport will serve as a green-card until the actual care arrives in the mail.

You can then give it 2 weeks or so and then visit SSA office and apply for SSN.

The I-551 stamp in passport will allow work and re-entry from trips abroad.

Cool. Thanks dnoblett.

The rumors have been about the EAD stamp that K-1's can get at JFK (the K-1 is work authorized anyway - a 90 day EAD expiration is unlikely to help), and the SS card box that you can check back at the consulate on the visa application. This rarely has any effect either - you need to apply yourself.

My wife will be arriving into America by ocean cruise, so her Port Authority will be the Brooklyn, NY port.

Are there any suggestions for things she can due at the POE to make things quicker or easier down the road?

i.e.: a form that can be filled out at the POE that will expedite the green card, work permit or issuance of social security number.

Wow, this is totally off the subject, but you guys seem to have such a romantic and interesting timeline and story!

Sorry I cannot help on the POE info, but I hope everything goes smoothly for your wife upon arrival in the US :cheering:

Cool !

I thought of POE by ocean cruise.

After POE, stay at home waiting for green card by mail.

During waiting , your wife can go to local SSN office for applying for SSN and it will get to her by mail too.

Amanda