Short Term Health Insurance

Bert

Anyone have any advice on short term health insurance? My fiancee is here with me in the US now. We already had to go to an urgent health care center for a non-urgent problem. The original plan was to marry as soon as possible. It would have been easy to get her under my work insurance plan. But plans change. I need coverage for her for one to two months. She is used to going to the doctor at a drop of a hat. Just having a plan with help.

I called BCBS today. They won't cover her until she has a green card. Is this true for all insurers?

Thanks in advance for help on this.

I added my Yu to my insurance the day after we were married, I have BCBS too, this was NOT an issue. You probably were talking to a MORON on the phone.

Since a K-1 can get a SSN shortly after arriving to the USA, this too will help adding her to your insurance. Medical insurance for spouse is a benefit, and they will not and do not require residency status.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

They are not required to insure anyone. Work with your employer, and consider getting married earlier, or got to a different insurer. But the cost might be a little prohibitive to simply re-coup the cost of a doctor visit or two

If they are wiling to insure her without a green card, that'll help.

They have an 'AskBlue' feature on their website that you might try

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I had BCBS before my wife and kid even got here. So during the open enrollment period, I asked my employer to see if BCBS can cover my wife and kid once they arrived here. The HR director told me just to fill out their names and DOB on the electronic form, and they would be covered. My HR said after my wife and kid got here, and received their SSN, then I should update the form, then that's it! They never need to see the marriage license.

Also, when you get married, it is considered a "life-event", then you can even change your insurance coverage during the middle of a year.

They are not required to insure anyone. Work with your employer, and consider getting married earlier, or got to a different insurer. But the cost might be a little prohibitive to simply re-coup the cost of a doctor visit or two

If they are wiling to insure her without a green card, that'll help.

They have an 'AskBlue' feature on their website that you might try

If you have insurance, their is a limit to what the doctor can charge. I can visit the doctor for $25. I pay the whole bill. That's it. Without insurance, they can charge anything they want. To liability to too great to go without.

I tried the AskBlue earlier in the week. The website was down until today, I think it was. I will try that again later.

BCBS was our former insurer. I am familiar with their system. We switched to United Healthcare. It's a nightmare. Everything is contracted out. Nobody knows anything.

Once married, it's no problem. She just needs time to ensure she can adapt here. She likes it, but has trouble sleeping. Hopefully, that it is resolved in time. She is also afraid of my basement and attic. She wants me to brick up the basement and get rid of the attic. That's a point of contention.