Medical Examination

My wife will be arriving back into Beijing on August 10th to close out our apartment before heading to GUZ.

She will have her examination in Beijing. Are there any preferences to a particular hospital (i.e quickness, accuracy with paperwork, guaranteed completition of paperwork on scheduled pick-up date)?

Would there be anything you would suggest we pay extra close attention too?

Beijing International SOS Clinic

Suite 105, Wing 1, Kunsha Building, No. 16 Xinyuanli, Chaoyang District, Beijing Tel: (010) 64620303 or 64629112 Price: RMB900 for adult, RMB750 for child

Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center

#20 Hepingli North Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing Tel: (010) 58648801 Price: RMB880 for adult, RMB600 for child

Beijing United Family Health & Wellness Center ¨C Jianguomen

B1, The St. Regis Residence, St. Regis Hotel #21 Jianguomenwai Dajie, Beijing Tel: (010) 85321678 Price: RMB950 for adult, RMB850 for child

Guest shutterbug

The one at Hepingli is the only one authorized to give vaccination shots. But it takes 5 days to get results of the medical exam and there is no rush service even if you pay extra. The place is somewhat obscure, but it is next door to Hepingli Hospital which should be easy to find. Have a look at the following picture, which may be helpful when locating the facility:

http://www.dianping.com/photos/1080627

The one at Jianguomen is near Route 1 of the subway system and not far from the previous location of the US Embassy. I think the nearest station is Yong An Li - you can call the facility to confirm. As of July 2009 the price was actually 900RMB, instead of 950RMB as quoted on the instruction sheet. If you arrive by taxi, be sure to ask for a receipt, the first 20RMB will be reimbersed. You can have a medical exam in the morning and get the results back in the afternoon.

If you need to get everything done in one day, here is what you can do:

1. Make an appointment with United Family Health & Wellness Center £¨ºÍÄÀ¼Ò£©in advance.

2. On the appointment date, arrive early. Door opens at 8:30AM.

3. After the medical exam, if it is still early, take a taxi ride to Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center (±±¾©¹ú¼ÊÂÃÐÐÎÀÉú±£½¡ÖÐÐÄ). This facility closes at 11AM for the morning so unless you are on your way by 10AM it will be tough. It re-opens in the afternoon, however, at 1PM or 1:30PM (please call to confirm).

4. Turn in the documentation provided by United Family Health & Wellness Center at this second facility, pay the cost of any required vaccinations and get the shots.

5. Bring the vaccination book back to United Family Health & Wellness Center in the afternoon. They will give you the sealed envelope around 3:30PM.

There are no vaccination requirements for K visas (it doesn't make any sense to me, since the only purpose of K visas is for the recepient to file for AOS later), but I heard some complaints regarding staff at some places pushing K visa applicants to get the shots as well.

Edited by shutterbug (see edit history)

Thanks for the detailed and handy information!

Note, the above post is about centers in Beijing, most have their medical done a few days or so before visa interview at one of the centers in Guangzhou.
Guest shutterbug

Thanks for the detailed and handy information!

Note, the above post is about centers in Beijing, most have their medical done a few days or so before visa interview at one of the centers in Guangzhou.

Yep, the above information is for Beijing. However, it may be beneficial to have the medical exam done as early as possible if your SO lives near one of the cities with a designated facility. There has been a stepped up effort in TB screening lately. Starting in July children aged 2-14 are required to take PPD skin test, it takes 72 hours to get the results, so plan to spend three extra days if there are children involved. Chest X-rays for adults are also being scrutinized more, there is anedoctal evidence suggesting that those with small shadows on their lungs but would have passed under previous guidelines are now asked to get a chest CT scan elsewhere, and if the CT scan is deemed inconclusive by the physician at the designated facility (even if the hospital declares the individual as free of TB), AFB smear or culture will be ordered - a culture takes weeks. I have heard such incidents from a couple of individuals without previously known TB symptons/diagnosis, they had to postpone their interviews but fortunately got the bad news in Shanghai before they left for Guangzhou.

Yes. We would feel more secured getting things done ahead of time. Another thing, about getting the vaccination, is that after getting the vaccination, pregnancy should be avoided, some say 4 weeks, but some say 6 months!? I guess I would have my fiancee ask the doctor about it to make sure.

Guest shutterbug

Yes. We would feel more secured getting things done ahead of time. Another thing, about getting the vaccination, is that after getting the vaccination, pregnancy should be avoided, some say 4 weeks, but some say 6 months!? I guess I would have my fiancee ask the doctor about it to make sure.

If you ask the average Chinese doctor, the answer would be at least three months - people tend to be more cautious over there about all things baby related, with or without scientific evidence :) if you ask CDC, the answer is one month. Adults receive three vaccines for immigration purpose, Td, MMR, and Varicella. Td can be given prior to pregnancy and even during pregnancy, MMR and Varicella vaccines contain live attenuated viruses and should not be given from one month prior to pregnancy until delivery, according to CDC.

Edited by shutterbug (see edit history)

Here's my experience - I went to the SOS clinic in XinYuanLi and they have the results ready for you in the afternoon, especially if you already have the Yellow Book with vaccinations.

The procedure for me was as follows - I came at 8 30 sharp, filled in the forms and paid - 900 yuan, waited for a little bit and then was called in to give blood, have my blood pressure, height and weight measured, and my eyesight checked.

Then i waited a bit more and was sent in to have my Xray done.

Then a bit longer, and then was called into the panel physicians office for some routine questions about my health.

Then I was sent to the HePingLi center with an envelope from the clinic - for vaccinations - the Yellow book - and health certificate - Red Book (you dont need the later, or so I was told, so I dont know why you need to get one). If you come before 10:30 for your shots, they'll give you the Yellow book before lunch :yahoo:, if not - after 3 i think. However, the red book you have to wait for till after 3 to pick up. :S

Then you head back to the SOS clinic, have the papers enveloped and sealed and be done with it.

(This is the abbreviated account, me being Russian and all did cause some delays, and I only did get the results today, but for a Chinese lady there should be no issue to finish it all in one day). Now, I have no idea what it involves with kids and pregnant women, or men :yahoo:

Good luck :yahoo:

As to a vaccinations question... they told me no pregnancy till 3 months after the shot. They were very specific about that.