China-In-Two-Words

what???....can't believe no one had said "chou yan" yet...so here it is....Chou Yan.....chou yan...chou yan...chou yan...until you chou yan

I first thought maybe you meant, Tao Yan.

But, what's the chinese characters for your words?

smoke (verb) ³é ÑÌ

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i¡¯m surprised no one said ì¶Ü or ¸´ÔÓ

[for me this is a succinct way to describe china. culturally, ancient ideas like Confucianism seem to pull people in one direction and modern figures like Mao pull back. to complicate matters, one minute the latter figures are loved and revered and the next minute they¡¯re denounced (or sometimes even in the same minute). historically, china is described alternately as the most ancient and inventive society and then as the most backward one. other seeming contradictions are related to development. in this communist society one can see migrant workers in the city washing their hair in buckets of dirty water just below the lavish spare apartments of privileged families. capitalism seems to flourish in small neighborhood markets with local sellers and competition. people living without modern amenities in hutongs are being moved to highrises that are more comfortable but where they often feel their ancient culture and social arrangements slipping away. it¡¯s a contest between modernizing and opening up on one hand and holding fast to culture and tradition on the other. to me, these are just a few dimensions of china¡¯s complex and often seemingly contradictory nature. others include the ¡°chinese thinking¡± that is often a source of amusement and consternation for members of this forum (for example, the member who, when the dry cleaner ruined his shirts, was reimbursed for the value of the shirts but was still charged for the dry cleaning, because they were in fact cleaned! :blink: )]

• 1 month later...

constant staring

[mainland China, this is a much bigger problem than in international cities like Shanghai, Beijing, or Guangzhou. One time, I was walking to class, and a propane worker was delivering some tanks (one tank strapped to each side of his bike). As I passed him, he started to stare at me - to the point he ran into a light pole, and crashed his bike. Luckily, he didn't blow up]

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Crowded, Bureaucracy

[ I know how hard it is to get anything done here because the crowds everywhere, hard to catch a taxi, hard to go out on any national holidays, hard to get a job, hard to.... lots of things here need a governmental stamp to get done.. bureaucratic... But still lots to sing high of this place, convenience, night life, safety, etc. After all, this is a place where I live and grow up. ]

Edited by Ant & Lu (see edit history)

constant staring

[mainland China, this is a much bigger problem than in international cities like Shanghai, Beijing, or Guangzhou. One time, I was walking to class, and a propane worker was delivering some tanks (one tank strapped to each side of his bike). As I passed him, he started to stare at me - to the point he ran into a light pole, and crashed his bike. Luckily, he didn't blow up]

My nubby was taught to say " kan shen me kan " (what r u staring at) when he first came here. Now we just kind of ignoring that ...

Edited by Ant & Lu (see edit history)