AOS interview recap (almost passed)

Eva had her AOS interview yesterday in San Francisco at 10:15am.

It was conducted by a younger immigration officer. Upon entry into his office, we were both sworn in and then the basic questions were asked.

(He went down the list of questions on the 3rd page of the i-485 -- have you ever been arrested, part of the chinese communist party, etc).

In addition to the standard questions, we were also asked..

1. what i did for a living

2. what time i usually get home from work

3. where we went for our honeymoon

4. where we got our wedding rings

5. where and when did we get married

6. who were the witnesseses to the ceremony

7. what we liked to do together

8. does she work?

9. when was the first time her parents met me (and if they liked me)

10. how many times had i been to Shanghai to visit

He then asked to see our pictures. He asked where the pictures were taken and to identify everyone in the pictures

Next, he asked to see our marriage certificate. Turns out the marriage certificate we had was a souvenir, not the certified copy that we needed to get at the Office of the recorder. Doh!

The immigration officer said this happens a lot, and that he would've approved us if we had that copy. He then said we can just send it the copy once we get it and then we will be approved.

So, on we went to the Recorder's office to get the certified copy of our marriage license.

I'll be sending that in today, so hopefully approval will be swift.

All in all, it was a pretty straight forward interview. None of the questions were from left field.

My advice is to practice listening to the questions beforehand. I honed Eva in to listen for key words, so nothing would come as a surprise. She did very well, and I've never been more proud of her.

Thanks,

Don