Help Preparing for P3, K-1

Hi,

My fiancee and I are trying to understand as much as possible to get thing as quickly as possible. We are still waiting for the P3.

On GUZ site http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm, there is the "Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169)" form.

Reading it, there are many check boxes for various documents. It's not clear if they want these documents to be sent to them via mail or not. At the top, is says "Do NOT send the actual documents to the Consular office, as we will have to destroy them." The at the bottom is says "Only submit one copy of each document when you are interviewed (However, multiple photographs are usually expected and welcome)."

1. So I guess the various documents are needed only during the interview right? All we need to sent is the Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169) right?

2. If that's the case, should we be obtaining the required documents now?

3. About "TRANSLATIONS", how is this relevant? My fiancee is in a city where there are few translation services, if any at all. Will this be a problem? I guess I can't act as her translator right?

4. For "EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT", should I do that right away and have it sent to her ASAP? I am planning to go to the interview with her. Can we check the box first and then have I carry the EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT document personally to her?

5. There are some documents that are not application, such as "COURT AND PRISON RECORDS". Do we need to put N/A next to them?

6. I think "RESUMES" is not application for K-1 visa right?

Thanks for your time and help!

Guest Wuhan4me

she'll have chinese official documents:

1. police record results

2. birth certificate

3. marriageability status

all need to be translated into English. USUALLY there is an official 'notarial translation' office SOMEWHERE in her city - will produce the 'white book' for each document. GUZ wants the WHITE BOOK. Get several sets of EACH ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. Per the instructions, she'll also need to submit COPIES of stuff in addition to the ORIGINALS.

Welcome to CFL, I see you are new. Have you gone through the FAQS section here? see http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry233487 and have a longish read....

For Item 4 - get your I-134 doc prepped asap, include 3 years of tax transcripts, order them (for free) now, from the IRS. GUZ ONLY looks at it on Interview Day, not before. If you think your tax returns not reflect your true income (ie, you are big user of Schedule C or you have a lot of 2210 income ) then suggest you have your CPA prepare a certified 'Asset and Income Sheet' going back 3 years. Be prepared to pay upwards of 500 bucks for his/her time and services.

For Item 6 - it depends on what her prior jobs were. MOST beneficiaries do not need to submit a resume. Tell us what her prior jobs were, and perhaps other members can give you some good advice? On the G-325A, IIRC, her prior jobs for the last 5 years should have been listed, yes?

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

Hi,

My fiancee and I are trying to understand as much as possible to get thing as quickly as possible. We are still waiting for the P3.

On GUZ site http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm, there is the "Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169)" form.

Reading it, there are many check boxes for various documents. It's not clear if they want these documents to be sent to them via mail or not. At the top, is says "Do NOT send the actual documents to the Consular office, as we will have to destroy them." The at the bottom is says "Only submit one copy of each document when you are interviewed (However, multiple photographs are usually expected and welcome)."

1. So I guess the various documents are needed only during the interview right? All we need to sent is the Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169) right?

3. About "TRANSLATIONS", how is this relevant? My fiancee is in a city where there are few translation services, if any at all. Will this be a problem? I guess I can't act as her translator right?

4. For "EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT", should I do that right away and have it sent to her ASAP? I am planning to go to the interview with her. Can we check the box first and then have I carry the EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT document personally to her?

5. There are some documents that are not application, such as "COURT AND PRISON RECORDS". Do we need to put N/A next to them?

Not Clear? "Do NOT send the actual documents to the Consular office, as we will have to destroy them." is pretty clear to me. It says DO NOT SEND THEM ANY OF THE GATHERED DOCUMENTS. All you retur to the consulate is the OF-169 form and DS-230 part 1.

1) Correct, however you send OF-169 AND DS-230 Part 1.

Complete and send the enclosed form DS-230 Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration as well as this document (Form 169).
http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up...m169-May_09.pdf

2) You can, however get the I-134 from US Citizen Petitioner closer to interview time, get it after you get P3, Police certs, and Marital status cert (Un Married) doc is considered to be valid for 1 year.

3) The Notary office where these documents can provide translations.

4) YES, that is what I Did, I brought the I-134 and supporting documents with me when I traveled to China to be with my Wife for her interview.

5) You don't need to check anything that do not exist and do not need to put N/A either.

6) Correct, they are satisfied with work data entered into the forms.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

1. police record results

2. birth certificate

all need to be translated into English. USUALLY there is an official 'notarial translation' office SOMEWHERE in her city - will produce the 'white book' for each document. GUZ wants the WHITE BOOK. Get several sets of EACH ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. Per the instructions, she'll also need to submit COPIES of stuff in addition to the ORIGINALS.

Welcome to CFL, I see you are new. Have you gone through the FAQS section here? see http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry233487 and have a longish read....

For Item 4 - get your I-134 doc prepped asap, include 3 years of tax transcripts, order them (for free) now, from the IRS. GUZ ONLY looks at it on Interview Day, not before. If you think your tax returns not reflect your true income (ie, you are big user of Schedule C or you have a lot of 2210 income ) then suggest you have your CPA prepare a certified 'Asset and Income Sheet' going back 3 years. Be prepared to pay upwards of 500 bucks for his/her time and services.

For Item 6 - it depends on what her prior jobs were. MOST beneficiaries do not need to submit a resume. Tell us what her prior jobs were, and perhaps other members can give you some good advice? On the G-325A, IIRC, her prior jobs for the last 5 years should have been listed, yes?

For item 4, I think I am covered. I have good W2 and 1099 Income for the past three years.

For item 6, she is a ball bearing designer. Since this is a K-1 fiancee visa, I wonder why a resume is ever required.

Thanks for your answers!

Hi,

Not Clear? "Do NOT send the actual documents to the Consular office, as we will have to destroy them." is pretty clear to me. It says DO NOT SEND THEM ANY OF THE GATHERED DOCUMENTS. All you retur to the consulate is the OF-169 form and DS-230 part 1.

1) Correct, however you send OF-169 AND DS-230 Part 1.

Complete and send the enclosed form DS-230 Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration as well as this document (Form 169).
http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up...m169-May_09.pdf

2) You can, however get the I-134 from US Citizen Petitioner closer to interview time, get it after you get P3, Police certs, and Marital status cert (Un Married) doc is considered to be valid for 1 year.

3) The Notary office where these documents can provide translations.

4) YES, that is what I Did, I brought the I-134 and supporting documents with me when I traveled to China to be with my Wife for her interview.

5) You don't need to check anything that do not exist and do not need to put N/A either.

6) Correct, they are satisfied with work data entered into the forms.

Hi, for "The Notary office where these documents can provide translations." You mean in China right? Hopefully my fiancee doesn't have to travel too far for this. He is not living in cities like GuangZhou where translation services are amply available.

Thanks for answering my questions!

Guest Wuhan4me

If she's a ball bearing designer ...

with a phD in Materials Science

with current CCP membership

engaged at a Military factory for work

then she's gonna have some problems.

re: income - i do suggest tax transcripts.

Guest Wuhan4me

Hi, for "The Notary office where these documents can provide translations." You mean in China right? Hopefully my fiancee doesn't have to travel too far for this. He is not living in cities like GuangZhou where translation services are amply available.

In China. If not directly IN HIS CITY, then absolutely inside his province. HE will have to find out where. There's a chinese name for this office type, perhaps someone will chime in and soon?

If she's a ball bearing designer ...

with a phD in Materials Science

with current CCP membership

engaged at a Military factory for work

then she's gonna have some problems.

re: income - i do suggest tax transcripts.

She is just a small time ball bearing designer. She doesn't even have a college degree as of now. She is night schooling to get her college degree. Is that still a problem?

Thanks!

Guest Wuhan4me

As long as she hasn't been working on China Military contracts, I sense she will not have any problem.

I remember some hassle last year from a CFL member who's wife was a 'low-grade worker', but was working on a 'security-enabled waste disposal and treatment site' with both Government and Military 'issues'.

No worries about the night school.

And also:

If your fiance has a children ( I learned this from experience ), make sure to have photos of her and the children together from as far back as possible. If they find anything to doubt a true relationship, a children may raise a flag. We only had a few photos of my wife/son and had to get affidavits from family/friends, medical/school records etc showing a relationship with her son.

Gads !!! Why dont they trust us ???

Good luck,

Ning and Jim...

1. police record results

2. birth certificate

For item 4, I think I am covered. I have good W2 and 1099 Income for the past three years.

For item 6, she is a ball bearing designer. Since this is a K-1 fiancee visa, I wonder why a resume is ever required.

Thanks for your answers!

If her work is for the military, she may need a resume. I haven't found yet what the circumstances are that they may require a resume.

Yes, they are in China, she will go to the PSB having jurisdiction over her residence to get a police cert, and bring it to the local Notary office for translation, the notary office will also supply things like birth cert, marital status cert, marriage cert, divorce cert, etc, along with translations.

More:

Most of the documents listed below can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates. Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats. These offices are part of the Ministry of Justice structure, but are separate from the people's court system.

Notaries in China do not perform the same functions as their American counterparts. Chinese notaries affix their signatures and office seal to certificates that attest to the probity of claims made by the applicants. By regulation, notaries are empowered to issue certificates only after they conclude that the applicant's claims are true. Notarial certificates of birth, death, marriage, divorce, no criminal record and pre-1981 adoptions are, at best, secondary evidence of the events they purport to document. Although these certificates are secondary evidence, they are used because primary evidence is not standardized, is easily forged, and difficult to evaluate. Notarial certificates are easier to interpret than primary evidence and theoretically represent an expert judgment on the part of the notarial official as to the facts documented.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3537.html