Confused about Electronic Processing

Was just reading the post about electronic processing and in the quote from USCIS K1 Fiance Visa is not included in the process, though at the bottom of post is says K Visa's will automatically be Sent to consulate.

Does this mean the customs delay of 2-3 months no longer applies?

Was just reading the post about electronic processing and in the quote from USCIS K1 Fiance Visa is not included in the process, though at the bottom of post is says K Visa's will automatically be Sent to consulate.

Does this mean the customs delay of 2-3 months no longer applies?

Not necisarily, the consulate has been backlogged for a long time, from other posts NVC has been using electronic transfer to get cases to the consulate, but the consulate still will handle them in a first come first served fashion.

The electronic transfer may eliminate the custom's delay, however the consulate still has only a set number of cases they can process at one time.

Guest Wuhan4me

I called NVC about 6 weeks ago, and asked about this, specifically for K1 cases. Here's a paraphrase of the answer that I got:

ALL K1s are sent via SAFEFILE system, no more DHL shipments.

Things change, so if you'd like more current info, call NVC and ask.

Mostly, when you see 'electronic processing' anywhere in regards to NVC and GUZ, bear in mind this is specifically for the GATHERING of documents by NVC FROM the petitioner, during the 'NVC PROCESSING' stage of an IR-1, CR-1, IR-5 (visa types issued because an I-130 petition was filed).

The electronic transmission beween NVC and GUZ is just an added benefit for these types of cases, using the SAFEFILE system, and of course kills the 'customs delay' time. For whatever reason, apparently NVC is also sending K1 cases through to GUZ via SAFEFILE.

SAFEFILE is the DOS's electronic case file system for petitions - I've no idea WHY the 'DHL shipment process' has been suspended, but apparently it has (again, per the NVC rep I talked with 6 weeks ago).

HTH !

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

the DHL suspension seems a logical reason since the transmission method has changed. We need to see stats (ie: timelines) to see if this spends things up for K# visas; hopefully yes, but whether it sits in customs a month or a computer database a month is to be seen.

K# visas always were still being processed while sitting in customs, to some extend; Meaning, enough electronic info was sent previously to perform the beneficiary namecheck. In the past, this was not true for CR#/IR#.

All in all, it should be good news.