Hello,

I just discovered this forum yesterday and my fiance is going in for her interview on July 30th (K1 Visa). So far we have found tons of valuable information here, most specifically how fragile our house of cards really is. Here is my specific question:

On my 2008 tax form, I made EXACTLY the minimum 2008 poverty guideline amount. I was still a college student, but had been steadily getting raises and didn't think this would be a problem. I now am graduated and working full time, making well over the 2009 poverty minimum. Still, I see this as the weakest link in our case. Should I get my father, who would be more than happy to help, to fill out a co-sponsor form? If so, will scanned and emailed forms be good enough, or will we have to airmail the original forms?

Also, should I get a letter from my employer? I have a three page contract that spells out specifically what I get paid, benefits, etc., but it is dated for June of 2009, even though I was working part-time for two years prior.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can tell already that these next two weeks are going to be stressful to say the least.

Thanks heaps to anyone who can help.

Guest Pommey

3 years of tax transcripts.

letter from your employer, stating what you make now.

pay stubs supporting that

I-134 reflecting your current income

send originals.

good luck.

send originals.

good luck.

Why 3 years tax transcripts? I've read this elsewhere, but haven't seen it referenced in the I-134 instructions. The earlier 2 years would be nowhere near poverty guidelines. And this doesn't answer the question should I get a co-sponsor? Or should I fill out a new I 134 (I did the first one in May, right before my last trip to China but before I started working full time)?

Thanks!

Edited by ChadP (see edit history)
Guest Pommey

send originals.

good luck.

Why 3 years tax transcripts? I've read this elsewhere, but haven't seen it referenced in the I-134 instructions. The earlier 2 years would be nowhere near poverty guidelines. And this doesn't answer the question should I get a co-sponsor?

Thanks!

because GUZ often asks to see 3 years.

a co-sponsor cant hurt, can they get their 3 years tax info together in time ?

because GUZ often asks to see 3 years.

a co-sponsor cant hurt, can they get their 3 years tax info together in time ?

I should hope so, my father keeps very good records. If not I could have swore I read a thread here somewhere that had an IRS phone number they said they called and got their tax info faxed in no time. I'll try to dig it up again, I accidentally closed the window it was on. Thanks again, I'm a lot more nervous about what I thought was a done deal after reading some of the horror stories on this and another forum. How I could have missed this stuff over the past 6 months of online visa searches is beyond me :)

Hello,

I just discovered this forum yesterday and my fiance is going in for her interview on July 30th (K1 Visa). So far we have found tons of valuable information here, most specifically how fragile our house of cards really is. Here is my specific question:

On my 2008 tax form, I made EXACTLY the minimum 2008 poverty guideline amount. I was still a college student, but had been steadily getting raises and didn't think this would be a problem. I now am graduated and working full time, making well over the 2009 poverty minimum. Still, I see this as the weakest link in our case. Should I get my father, who would be more than happy to help, to fill out a co-sponsor form? If so, will scanned and emailed forms be good enough, or will we have to airmail the original forms?

Also, should I get a letter from my employer? I have a three page contract that spells out specifically what I get paid, benefits, etc., but it is dated for June of 2009, even though I was working part-time for two years prior.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can tell already that these next two weeks are going to be stressful to say the least.

Thanks heaps to anyone who can help.

I think a letter from your employer won't hurt. The contract should be able to prove that you make money going forward, and the tax forms are proof of past employment.

You should make sure that you meet 125% of the poverty level, as that is the requirement for Adjustment of Status ("AOS" - a step you'll take after marriage in the US). I've read that while the stated K-1 requirement is only 100%, they will often reject if you're below 125% required by AOS.

I haven't read whether an "unneeded" cosponsor will help or hurt your case. If you decide to have your father cosponsor, make sure he knows the full extent of his responsibility. I'm not knowledgeable on the K-1, but I've done some research for the CR-1 which shares the I-864 form with AOS. I just commented on this in another post, and some of it is relevant here. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=505098

In any case, welcome to the Candle and best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

They do often ask for 3 years but their main concern is you make enough money she won't become a burden on the state. If your current job is steady and pays enough you shouldn't have any problem without a co-sponsor. It would still be a good idea to have one warming up in the bull pen. It would also be a good idea to have a letter from your employer on company letter head stating that your job is permanent and you make X amount of dollars. Your fianc¨¦ should be prepared to explain that you were a college student and you are now out in the workforce.

Good luck.

send originals.

good luck.

Why 3 years tax transcripts? I've read this elsewhere, but haven't seen it referenced in the I-134 instructions. The earlier 2 years would be nowhere near poverty guidelines. And this doesn't answer the question should I get a co-sponsor? Or should I fill out a new I 134 (I did the first one in May, right before my last trip to China but before I started working full time)?

Thanks!

GUZ tends to use the directions that are with I-864 as a guideline for the I-134. 3 years tax records (Transcripts or returns)

YES include the employer letter, it shows your CURRENT and FUTURE income the concern here is if you can support the immigrant after they come to the USA.

In last years income and current income is good then you should be fine without a co-sponsor.

However, having a close relative sign an affidavit of support can show that they are aware of and supportive of what you are doing. If your father is willing, I would recommend that you use it.

The I-864 is a contract - the I-134 is not - it's simply a statement of your financial status. Hopefully, you will have plenty of income for the AOS filing in the states to not need a co-sponsor at that time

DO NOT think that earning the minimum is "good enough". Thr VO's are instructed to use the 'totality of circumstances' in determining whether the applicant might become a burden on the state

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks everyone, I have contacted my father this morning about preparing a co-sponsor I-134 form. He has the tax records at home as I had hoped, and will get a letter from his employer today. I checked shipping with UPS and if we can ship the forms out by Monday Limei should have them by Thursday, plenty of time before she leaves for GUZ. The shipping will be around $50 but I think it is a small price to pay for the assurance that they don't send her back for original forms.

Other than this I think we are in pretty good shape. She has around 20 pictures of me and her, some of us with her family on two separate occasions, emails from me and my parents, chat histories, letters from my church where we will be married, my flight history detailing the three flights I took to China within the past year, and all Chinese documents. Now I am just praying for a reasonable interview.

chadP,

Not meaning to be nosey, however if your lady has a children, I also suggest she brings pictures of them together too. GUZ asked us to prove my wifes son was hers.

Ning and Jim...

Thanks for the unsolicited advice, I'm hoping others will do the same with any tidbits they may have. My fiance has no children, and there are no prior marriages for either of us. I am 27, she is 23, and we are both quite happy that we were able to find each other early in our lives. We met while I was taking a study tour in May of 2008, and started emailing almost immediately. I returned in November to visit, and again this year in May when I gave her what I hoped would be enough financial information to get through her interview. My employment is a little complicated, as I work from home and am considered to be self employed, even though I work primarily for one company. Thus I followed the guidelines for a self-employed person on the I-134 (prior years tax return, no employmer letter). Now I have graduated college and work full-time for the same company, making quite a bit more than the amount needed to meet poverty guidelines. I'm in the process of becoming "employed" but technically any income I make now still needs to be filed as "self-employed" as my boss isn't taking any taxes out yet. Thus it sounds easier to me to leave her with the I-134 and info she already has, and focus on getting a really solid co-sponsor packet from my father. I'm just afraid they would look at the short time I've been working full-time and not consider it good enough.

Here's another quick question or two about the I-134:

In the instructions it says you need a statement from a bank officer saying the total amount deposited in the past year. Is this the last 12 months, or all of 2008?

Does anyone know of an online example of a completed I-134 form for a co-sponsor? I remember a couple of the questions were somewhat ambiguous even for me to answer, let alone someone else.

Here's another quick question or two about the I-134:

In the instructions it says you need a statement from a bank officer saying the total amount deposited in the past year. Is this the last 12 months, or all of 2008?

Does anyone know of an online example of a completed I-134 form for a co-sponsor? I remember a couple of the questions were somewhat ambiguous even for me to answer, let alone someone else.

Not needed unless you are a COMPANY sponsoring someone like a temporary worker.

I-134 is used for many different types of NON-Immigrant visas.

Simply use the recommendations that it's big brother the I-864 specifies.

• 3 years of tax transcripts.

• Letter from your employer, stating what you make now.

• Copies recent pay stubs going back up to 6 months.

The I-134 allows you to use different methods to show your sweet heart won't become a public charge. The instructions say,

Evidence should consist of copies of any of the documents listed below that applies to your situation
This means that you only need to supply copies of the documents that pertain to your situation. If you were qualifying on assetts for example then a statement from your bank showing deposits would be appropriate. If you are qualifying on income then just supply copies of the documents that apply. In your case from what you have told us I think income and co-sponsor are all that is needed. The I-134 is similar in requirements to the I-864 except the I-864 only requires one year of taxes instead of three.

All sponsors must submit the following documentation with their I-864:

•Proof of current employment or self employment

•A photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of a photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of your complete Federal income tax return for your most recent tax year, or an explanation if it is not submitted. Your W-2s and/or 1099 forms may also be required, see the I-864 instructions for details.