Wondering if I should ship my winter clothes

I will be packing two suitcases with me for my trip to China to live with my wife while we wait on her visa. I will be teaching English while we wait. Was wondering if I should ship my all my winter clothes in advance and take most of my clothes in my suitcases.

Anyone have any good ideas?

I will be leaving August 8th. I miss my lao po so much, the hour to two hour a day talks on yahoo with webcam just are not the same as being with her in person.

I am not sure how many winter clothes you will need if Chengdu is where you are going. I have been to Chengdu in about every season and it just doesnt seem to get that cold there. Here is average monthly temperature data: http://www.asia-planet.net/china/temperature2.htm

Also, unless you wear Big&Tall size clothing, you should be able to buy anything you might need or want there for pretty cheap. Shoes seem to be a different story though. It has been difficult for me to find decent shoes that fit and are comfortable and I dont even have such big feet.

Guest Pommey

just take your favorite stuff, everything else you can buy there real cheap.

Hook up with Chengdu4me (Larry)you can go shopping together :beer: :D :) :D

Guest Wuhan4me

jan 2008 it snowed.... very cold... about 22 for a week.

does she have good heating system in house? or is 'normal' chinese heater? if 'normal'

SHIP YOUR LONG HEAVY UNDERWEAR. You'll need it.

Gloves that fit, boots that fit.

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

I wear a US XL...That comes with like 35-36" sleeves...I have NEVER tried on a jacket, coat, long sleeve shirt, that came close to being long enough in the sleeves for me in China... :rolleyes: Now that was made for China clothing...I expect if you can find the stuff made for export it could work... B)

I DID buy a jacket in China - 6'1", 215 lbs - it was about an inch short in the sleeves, but otherwise fit very good. 50 degrees in Nanning seems a lot colder than it does here

The story goes that all apartments south of the Yangtze were built without heating