What needs to change in the usa

Guest jin979

Now there's that little thing that you (the consumer) never see... it's called the interchange fees. That's the charge that the merchant pays for moving money into their account and the debit over to your credit card account (or directly moved from you checking account if you use a debit card).

Different companies have different fees. Why don't you see AMEX everywhere? Cuz those bitches have the highest interchange fees. VISA is everywhere and VISA has their own policies (and auditors). They have been gradually raising the interchange fees (we're talking about totally automated systems here folks) and slapping the merchants around for years. They pushed Wal-Mart to the point where WM said "Fine! We won't accept VISA in any of our stores!". Well that backed them off (of Wal-Mart at least). Numerous class action law-suits are out there now. Hell, even 7-11 has a petition drive going on with their stores (in the D/FW area that is) about the unfair practice.

The point I'm making is that the card compaies are screwing EVERYONE! How long do you think you'd stay alive with a "Cash Only" business? I'll take checks; but only via ACH (faster than debit card but only a couple of pennies in the interchange).

Debit cards are trouble. It's really just like cash. If you buy something, and later find the product defective, you will have to deal directly with the store or manufacturer to get a refund or exchange. If you use a credit card, you are protected from that.

I agree that the credit card companies screwing people, but there are ways to prevent it from happening. Don't carry a balance, and if you have a balance pay it off as soon as possible. Never withdraw money from an ATM that charges a fee. That is is consenting to pay a thief. Instead, only use the ATMs within the network. If your bank doesn't offer a wide array of free ATMs, change banks to one that does.

Debit card fees were just a few cents more than checks... then as they started taking hold they've jacked up the fees. Now some are almost the same as credit cards.

There's nothing driving this but f***ing Greed and the knowledge that once they've led Americans to using their debit cards instead carrying around a check book.

Be careful of innovations gentle readers... you don't know where it will take you. Perhaps Heaven or perhaps Hell.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres no trust here between people .

Its the biggest social control i have ever seen, credit check for everything, deposits, security deposits, crazy :yahoo:

USA people is letting people take their money, charge then crazy fees for what and why.

i think USA needs to change this especially now. this is not way to make good living.

just a note -- titling a thread "what needs to change in the usa" and then starting off with a sweeping generalization like "theres no trust here between people" is likely to piss off a lot of people, even many who are highly self-critical. if you care, you can avoid doing that in most cases by putting in something like "it seems to me that..." or "i think that..."

i agree that americans' credit irresponsibility is a huge problem and perhaps we need to study some of the money-handling habits of chinese. but your post makes me have a gut reaction like i assume you would have if i posted a thread called "what needs to change in china" and then started off with something like "there is no concern for poor people in china."

"i have ever seen"

from op

"i think"

from op

so my observations

op is not about peoples credit habit but financials system control of people.

the purpose of the "i have ever seen" is to emphasize how bad the situation you pointed out is, not to temper the observation.

reading your comment now, perhaps i overestimated how many people would take offense to it. but still i believe more americans would listen to and entertain more softly worded critiques. just an observation.

Dude...nice try but that doesn't agree with the MO...Step 1 (stir the pot) - make extreme statements or attack US culture. Step 2 (folks get riled up)- Sit back and read the responses. Step 3 (it's all your fault for "misunderstanding") - later clarify (or have others clarify) the OP's intent.

haha, touche.

i get don's point, but i think the OP has the ability to express opinions in english pretty much exactly, so i don't think it's unreasonable to treat her posts just like one would treat a native english speaker's.

Edited by weiaijiayou (see edit history)

Its the biggest social control i have ever seen, credit check for everything, deposits, security deposits, crazy ;)

USA people is letting people take their money, charge then crazy fees for what and why.

i think USA needs to change this especially now. this is not way to make good living.

just a note -- titling a thread "what needs to change in the usa" and then starting off with a sweeping generalization like "theres no trust here between people" is likely to piss off a lot of people, even many who are highly self-critical. if you care, you can avoid doing that in most cases by putting in something like "it seems to me that..." or "i think that..."

i agree that americans' credit irresponsibility is a huge problem and perhaps we need to study some of the money-handling habits of chinese. but your post makes me have a gut reaction like i assume you would have if i posted a thread called "what needs to change in china" and then started off with something like "there is no concern for poor people in china."

"i have ever seen"

from op

"i think"

from op

so my observations

the purpose of the "i have ever seen" is to emphasize how bad the situation you pointed out is, not to temper the observation.

reading your comment now, perhaps i overestimated how many people would take offense to it. but still i believe more americans would listen to and entertain more softly worded critiques. just an observation.

Dude...nice try but that doesn't agree with the MO...Step 1 (stir the pot) - make extreme statements or attack US culture. Step 2 (folks get riled up)- Sit back and read the responses. Step 3 (it's all your fault for "misunderstanding") - later clarify (or have others clarify) the OP's intent.

haha, touche.

i get don's point, but i think the OP has the ability to express opinions in english pretty much exactly, so i don't think it's unreasonable to treat her posts just like one would treat a native english speaker's.

:lol:

Edited by Earthfirst (see edit history)
Guest Pommey

Its the biggest social control i have ever seen, credit check for everything, deposits, security deposits, crazy ;)

"i have ever seen"

from op

"i think"

from op

so my observations

haha, touche.

Do you know for certain that 'her' posts are hers and not her husband's (Pommey) who share the same computer?

I'm not saying that is fact, just makes one wonder. And, how can we be sure? :lol:

because if I've got something to say I do :D

Its the biggest social control i have ever seen, credit check for everything, deposits, security deposits, crazy :blink:

"i have ever seen"

from op

"i think"

from op

so my observations

haha, touche.

dude you smoked why to much crack if you think a non-native english speaker can WRITE english to suit your purpose below:

"the purpose of the "i have ever seen" is to emphasize how bad the situation you pointed out is, not to temper the observation."

Hell most of the native english speakers on here could not even do that.

Chill out ... if you read the second line within the context of the first line you would have understand what the OP was meaning to say ...

You have been to China ... you have not noticed that their english seems direct and blunt?

Its the biggest social control i have ever seen, credit check for everything, deposits, security deposits, crazy :blink:

"i have ever seen"

from op

"i think"

from op

so my observations

haha, touche.

dude you smoked why to much crack if you think a non-native english speaker can WRITE english to suit your purpose below:

"the purpose of the "i have ever seen" is to emphasize how bad the situation you pointed out is, not to temper the observation."

Hell most of the native english speakers on here could not even do that.

Chill out ... if you read the second line within the context of the first line you would have understand what the OP was meaning to say ...

You have been to China ... you have not noticed that their english seems direct and blunt?

ha!

well, she used the phrase exactly right to do just that.