http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...D=2009906300343
On the Lou Dobbs show recently, the Rev. Samuel Rodriguez of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Council and Bishop Harry Jackson Jr. of the High Impact Leadership Coalition were confronted with the policy choice of whether to give emergency treatment to a 3-year-old undocumented child. Dobbs pushed a trade-off between "covering citizens and illegal immigrants.''

Rodriguez said that illegal immigrants should be covered; Jackson said they should not be treated the same as citizens, but then suggested he wouldn't turn the child away. I suspect most Americans agree with Jackson.

But what about for legal immigrants? Republican Sens. Orrin Hatch of Utah and Mike Enzi of Wyoming have an answer: Restrict them. Their proposal would require that immigrants not be eligible for any new government health benefits until they have been legally in the country for five years.

Something to chew on I am off to work

Not turning an illegal down for treatment has been the norm for years, the reasoning is the doctor's oath to do no harm. However they should be treated, and then be detained and deported.

As for the legal immigrants, this sounds much like what the I-864 sponsorship is for, the sponsor is responsible for this. My wife is on my medical insurance.

Not turning an illegal down for treatment has been the norm for years, the reasoning is the doctor's oath to do no harm. However they should be treated, and then be detained and deported.

As for the legal immigrants, this sounds much like what the I-864 sponsorship is for, the sponsor is responsible for this. My wife is on my medical insurance.

If we go on national health care. . Your pool of people paying into what is in place now will shrink until the government insurance is the only game in town. I mean everyone is on it. Then where will this leave our spouse. Will we be forced to pay $5-10,000 per year for our wives?

If we go on national health care. . Your pool of people paying into what is in place now will shrink until the government insurance is the only game in town. I mean everyone is on it. Then where will this leave our spouse. Will we be forced to pay $5-10,000 per year for our wives?

I pay more than that now for my wife. But that's okay, I can afford it and I don't want to see some federal whitewashed insurance conglomeration when I'm perfectly happy with what I have now.

Were that to be the case then all rules would change.

The way the law is now, no matter who comes through the doors of an emergency room, they must be treated. This should change to read that anyone requiring emergency life-saving treatment should be treated until they are stable. They should be able to turn anyone away that is not a bone-fide emergency.

But, I don't think this law will change. There are liability issues that hospitals are not going to want to have to deal with.

Illegal aliens should not get taxpayer paid health insurance beyond that emergency life-saving treatment. Illegal aliens should not get anything taxpayer paid except a ride back to the border.

LPR should be treated the same as a citizen with the exception of voting.

Not treating them as such is the same as inviting someone for dinner and then not serving them. LPR have jobs and pay taxes and they were invited here.

Guest Pommey

Unfortunately its more complex, many citizens,LPR's and illegals don't have insurance, cant afford it as you all know the current insurance prices and conditions are outrageous, so the ED is their only access to health care.

Of course if you prefer we can just watch them die slowly on the streets- guess you don't want that outside or inside your house though.

What needs to change is the greed and control of the insurance companies, or do you really think they are in it for you ?